PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Toyota Tacoma - reflash - non functional display

JandJSpeedShop
17th October, 2012, 04:40 PM
Had to set mileage on a replacement cluster and I successfully removed the white box, and removed the LCD display. Used my Arlabs programmer and read the 93c56 EEPROM compared it to the buffer to make sure I got a good read. Programmed the mileage with success and placed the cluster back together. Now the display doesn't work and shows nothing. Is there something I am missing? Did I need to remove the EEPROM from the display to read & write?

Thanks
Jason

88diablo
17th October, 2012, 05:00 PM
Did you check connections to LCD as when these have bad dump I'm sure they display ---------

claudio35
17th October, 2012, 08:36 PM
display lcd remove and put back

JandJSpeedShop
18th October, 2012, 04:38 PM
Did you check connections to LCD as when these have bad dump I'm sure they display ---------

I have not checked that yet, but the LCD pins fit real tight in the board connection so I assume they are making contact

tranzavanza
18th October, 2012, 07:28 PM
I know this cluster, the one with the little white box 2 screws and 1 plug.

How do you know that the programming was a success? did the data matched the miles displayed?

The easiest way to do this one is to remove the eeprom and read/program it off-board.

post your dump here, that it'll give the members a good idea if this is a data or hardware problem.

martij976
19th October, 2012, 02:47 AM
Or
use test points:
TP4 - 1
TP3 - 2
TP1 - 3
TP2 - 4
Put back original dump and see.
U can also power up the small board to see.

JandJSpeedShop
19th October, 2012, 05:29 PM
Or
use test points:
TP4 - 1
TP3 - 2
TP1 - 3
TP2 - 4
Put back original dump and see.
U can also power up the small board to see.

Use the test points for programming or power up?

martij976
20th October, 2012, 02:06 AM
Use the test points for programming or power up?

Programing of course..
For powering up just find the pins. It's very easy!

tranzavanza
22nd October, 2012, 12:07 AM
Programing of course..
For powering up just find the pins. It's very easy!

white box:
pin 6 -
pin 7 +

on the board just locate the points behind the small gauge on the left side of the cluster.

JandJSpeedShop
23rd October, 2012, 12:51 AM
I have attached my dump from the 93c46. I removed it this time to read but to read and write the last time I just used my SOIC-8 clip. I just can't figure out what I did to this. I assume if I broke the LCD display it would be cracked. I removed it gently

tranzavanza
23rd October, 2012, 05:56 AM
I have attached my dump from the 93c46. I removed it this time to read but to read and write the last time I just used my SOIC-8 clip. I just can't figure out what I did to this. I assume if I broke the LCD display it would be cracked. I removed it gently

BAD Dump, Try and Report.

afitijuana
23rd October, 2012, 06:44 AM
Is this the one you dealing with.

I have evry time the same trouble, most of the time the eeprom get damage.

best advise is next time remove chip for a hassel free adjustment.

Remove the EEPROM, if you get 9999999 on dash you will be good, get a new chip and load dump.

If nothing get on the screen chanse are that the board is damage.

JandJSpeedShop
26th October, 2012, 10:26 PM
Is this the one you dealing with.

I have evry time the same trouble, most of the time the eeprom get damage.

best advise is next time remove chip for a hassel free adjustment.

Remove the EEPROM, if you get 9999999 on dash you will be good, get a new chip and load dump.

If nothing get on the screen chanse are that the board is damage.

Yes this is the one. With the eeprom off it still is blank. Any idea what could have gotten damaged reading & writing the chip on the board. I was careful removing the lcd so i doubt i damaged that

luis12
27th October, 2012, 01:27 AM
Agree with Tijuana, your problem is bad data, did you saved orig, read? and is better to read eprom out, very easy to desold.

afitijuana
27th October, 2012, 05:29 AM
chek the rimbow cabel for any crack or solder gun burn, remove lcd touch with fingers sees if something came up or show half numbers or else beside if is nice and clear gray in the background still can be in good condition.

Use voltmeter conect cluster see if the memory has current. Should be betwen 2 and 3.5 dc volts

conect the clustrer read the dump drive the car some miles and read again see if there is any change in dump file, if it should be a problem witn the display related.

JandJSpeedShop
1st December, 2012, 08:33 AM
All caused by bad dumps. Last two lines need the first byte dropped by one

claudio35
1st December, 2012, 01:36 PM
Same toyota Carina, granvia, Gaia, Noha, etc

mojomojo
1st February, 2018, 03:01 AM
I'm working on the same board I tried to read it on board and none of the needles nor the display nor the backlight on the display is working. I then tried to put a dump on c46 with it off board from a previous post and it Remains the Same

epd1221
1st February, 2018, 04:18 AM
U try powering on bench??
I do alot of these from points never remove eeprom and never have problems. Also check the connectors those ribbons break easily

MECHANICJON
1st September, 2018, 07:12 AM
Looking for a little help on my 2003 Tacoma hex file. I've removed the chip and read the file with Willar Pro. But i'm unsure on what needs to be changed for mileage. Odometer was reading 184k miles (almost positive it was that) I need it to read 442K miles. I was unsuccessful at trying to get a working version of Tacho software . What lines have to be changed and to what. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nikz
1st September, 2018, 07:25 AM
File is no good, read again as 16 bit

MECHANICJON
1st September, 2018, 10:08 AM
File is no good, read again as 16 bit
Software doesn't give me the option of 8 bit or 16 bit. hmm
I tried Ponyprog also with a programmer set up on a bread board. 4k7 resistors and 5v1 zener diodes. May have to revisit that and confirm I had it connected correctly.

MECHANICJON
17th September, 2018, 11:43 PM
Nevermind. not a correct read