PDA

View Full Version : Energy Bulbs

hoggy952
21st October, 2012, 05:17 PM
I remember a couple of years ago when we were being encouraged to buy them, they cost as little as 10p each.

Now when they cost over ?2 each.

Scandalous

DW190
21st October, 2012, 10:23 PM
I remember a couple of years ago when we were being encouraged to buy them, they cost as little as 10p each.

Now when they cost over ?2 each.

Scandalous

Remember it well 99p for one but ten for a pound. Bought enough to last a lifetime.

cactikid
21st October, 2012, 10:36 PM
thats a short life lol,too many to choose from and they dont last,previous one was a 23w and finished more like a 10w a match you could see more with lol.

GastonJ
23rd October, 2012, 10:04 PM
They shot up in price once the government and EU banned incandescent lamps. Did you expect the companies not to start raising the prices at the first opportunity?

rob3rto
23rd October, 2012, 10:31 PM
I just buy the incandescents marked as "commercial use". Legal loophole allows them to be made and sold reguardless of what has been banned. Better made too so should last longer.
When LED bulbs are better and substantially cheaper, then I will switch, until then, no way will I have any of those rubbish so called Eco bulbs that have mercury in and takes ages to get to full brightness.

cactikid
23rd October, 2012, 10:39 PM
seen some of the new ones a while ago instant brightness.

kniht
24th October, 2012, 01:49 PM
Look for halogen lamps bulbs usually grow in Holland!
They are a better lamp and give a much better output + can be used with dimmers.
They are available at screwfix/toolstation/if fact most good wholesalers

ITS A SCAM !
24th October, 2012, 07:31 PM
Look for halogen lamps bulbs usually grow in Holland!
They are a better lamp and give a much better output + can be used with dimmers.
They are available at screwfix/toolstation/if fact most good wholesalers

Halogen lamps are also to be banned mate...

MR16 and AR111 Low Voltage Tungsten Halogen Lamps to be banned in September 2013 with more efficient Infra-Red coated types not guaranteed beyond 2016.

I am a big fan of lighting, and i have all types running in my house, with the latest investment being LED GU10 replacements for the lounge. We used to have 4 x 35w GU10 halogen lamps running, but now we have 4 x 3.5w GU10 LED lamps instead. This gives a massive saving of 126w in lighting for just 1 room ! The light output is a warm white, and its very close to the original halogen light source. Also they can be dimmed if needed, but there is no power saving made by dimming, this also applies to halogen lamps. Most people think that dimming halogen lamps saves energy, they are wrong as the energy is converted into heat instead of light ( hense the dimmer getting warm )
I advise anyone to move away from all types of halogen lighting in their houses asap, and as soon as you invest in LED's you will begin to save money on your energy bills.
With reference to the old GLS 100w standard household lightbulbs that was banned some time ago, you can get a "rough service" replacement instead, they are not as bright, but still consume loads of power !!

neilsignum
25th October, 2012, 07:04 PM
Don't rush to buy crap fluo energy savers, go for LED when possible as they are superb (if expensive at the minute) but lots of old fashioned bulbs are available and will be for years.

The sale of bulbs was never banned only the production, and only bulbs that weren't clear (opal/warm tone etc) The Daily Mail reported differently of course but they never let facts spoil a story...
Most factories quadrupled (or more) production before the opal ban so vast stocks of these exist and now that the truth about clear bulbs still being 'legal' opal prices are back down to normal from black market levels. Some clear envelope filament bulbs are banned from Sept 2013, but only if poor efficiency, and you'll find that lots of halogen capsule in a bulb type will be just fine. Appliance bulbs and other unusual bulbs will be available forever.

Frogger
28th October, 2012, 04:03 PM
Make your own with LEDs.

Grizz
5th November, 2012, 10:53 PM
if you still actually need to see what you are doing, the old bulbs are now called rough service bulbs and are still readily available.

rob3rto
9th November, 2012, 11:56 AM
bulbs usually grow in Holland!

Smart Alec :p

English language - Light Bulb
Besides, even the manufacturers use the word "Bulb" on their packaging.

fandm
16th November, 2012, 11:06 PM
Didn't some MP buy a green light bulb manufacturing company and have the incandesant bulbs banned.

boba
1st December, 2012, 08:48 PM
Changing to LED bulbs doesn't save nearly as much energy as you think because the heat from the old bulbs needs to be compensated by your central heating running that little bit harder.
The law of unintended consequences.

ITS A SCAM !
1st December, 2012, 09:44 PM
What a load of crap.

Santee
1st December, 2012, 10:29 PM
led bulbs all day. Got them in my kitchen, great light, gone from burning 200 watts to just over 20 watts with equal brightness!

ifred
5th December, 2012, 04:04 PM
Changing to LED bulbs doesn't save nearly as much energy as you think because the heat from the old bulbs needs to be compensated by your central heating running that little bit harder.
The law of unintended consequences.
Try Bullshitting a bit more the extra CO2 emission will compensated for the leds, but the planet will explode sooner!!!:heeeelllllooooo:

GastonJ
8th December, 2012, 02:33 PM
Try Bullshitting a bit more the extra CO2 emission will compensated for the leds, but the planet will explode sooner!!!:heeeelllllooooo:

Why will the planet explode, have I missed something that I shouldn't have about co2? I certainly don't recall it being and explosive gas, and doubt that has changed over the years. If it has we could use it as a fuel instead of burning the remains of plankton and trees :)

ifred
12th December, 2012, 06:42 PM
Why will the planet explode, have I missed something that I shouldn't have about co2? I certainly don't recall it being and explosive gas, and doubt that has changed over the years. If it has we could use it as a fuel instead of burning the remains of plankton and trees :)
Gaston where you been mate :stupid:
The planet will exploded in ten billion years time (I think that's what they said) its a scientific fact ain't it:heeeelllllooooo:

GastonJ
12th December, 2012, 07:25 PM
It will explode in around 5 billion years, however not due to co2, but due to being too close to the sun. It's just that there is so much crap being thrown around about climate change and it's causes. The earth really doesn't care whether we make ourselves extinct or even how, it will carry on until the sun destroys it.

As for climate change, you have to ask of all those who commentate on it "what's in it for them" and to be honest, the answer is money in one form or another, so their opinions will always be biased. Shock and horror, if I thought people would pay me for it, I'd tell them the sky was green with yellow stripes, the sea red with white spots because animals breathe air if there were billions of pounds in it for me and my research - wouldn't you?

fre4de3
13th December, 2012, 10:59 AM
go for led

ITS A SCAM !
13th December, 2012, 11:01 AM
go for led

Very good ... how did you come the this post ??

ifred
13th December, 2012, 12:16 PM
if I thought people would pay me for it, I'd tell them the sky was green with yellow stripes, the sea red with white spots because animals breathe air if there were billions of pounds in it for me and my research - wouldn't you?

You mean it isn't :bawling:

? How about a divvy out,with your forum buddies if we support your idea:canabis:

Davidgale
26th January, 2013, 07:19 AM
LED bulbs are not as much dangerous for health than energy savers. Energy savers contain mercury and when a energy saver break it is recommended to evacuate the room immediately for one hour and collect broken pieces to avoid cancer from mercury. So I prefer LED bulbs.

liber
19th August, 2013, 11:20 AM
this is true.I've got some LED lamps,it's G4.i can't see how much energy savings it will take.but the lightings is really a nice brightness.

xinv
22nd August, 2013, 08:20 AM
LED lamps :top:

Dr C
22nd August, 2013, 09:33 AM
LED bulb is really a good thing compared with the energy savers halogen lamps etc.but it's too expensive and it takes years to return the costs from energy savings.I don't know if it;s a worth invest,most of the sellers pictured them very well,but there is less of reliable databases to prove this sayings...

Dr C
22nd September, 2013, 07:34 AM
I wanna look for some LED G12 bulbs for my personal use,but it looks like there are many more halogen ones instead of LED.And most of the suppliers are from China and I am little bit worrying about the quality as they promised.I have a web site to share,so that's would be highly appreciated if someone can attest their quality if you have ever touched with them.http://www.g4ledonline.com/products/g12-led-bulb/

Meat-Head
22nd December, 2013, 11:06 AM
you think because the heat from the old bulbs needs to be compensated by your central heating running that little bit harder.

Agree

Try Bullshitting a bit more the extra CO2 emission will

No deffo right

ADVERITSEMENT:-

POUNDLAND.COM 3 for a quid 60 watt - two does make heat, says on box
"not for domestic lighting" - so got a pen and modded it to "Not for domestic lighting unless DK member"