PDA

View Full Version : Chicken madras

aftermath
17th February, 2009, 05:17 PM
Heat a good 2-3 tablespoons of Veg oil an a large frying pan. Then fry the onion on high for a few minutes.
Add the ginger, garlic and red chilli. Stir for 30 seconds then put the heat down to very low.
Cook for 25 minutes stirring from time to time, make sure it doesn't burn.
Add the turmeric, cumin and coriander and cook, very gently, for a further 5 minutes. Making sure it dont burn or you will spoil it. Add a few drops of water if need be.
Put 8 fl oz cold water in a blender, add the contents of the pan and blend until very smooth.
Add the passata and stir.
Put the blended mixture back into the pan and cook for 40-45 minutes over very low heat stirring occasionally.
You can add a little
hot water if it starts to stick on the pan but the idea is to gently "fry" the sauce which will darken in colour to an orangey brown.
The final texture should be something like good tomato ketchup.

Now back to the Chicken Madras.

Heat a little of the oil in a large heavy frying pan then fry the chicken pieces over moderate heat until they are sealed and have turned white.
Remove them from the pan and set aside.
Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a heavy saucepan over a moderate heat and add the whole dried chillies and fry until they start to swell.
Turn the heat to low, add 1 tablespoon of the Basic Curry Sauce and stir round.
Add the chilli powder, cumin, coriander and paprika and fry gently stirring all the time, for a minute. Take care not to burn the spices or the curry will lack flavour and taste bitter.
Add the rest of the Basic Curry Sauce, the chicken pieces and salt and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is done. Stir from time to time and
add a little hot water if the sauce starts to catch on the bottom of the pan.
10 minutes from the end add the garam masala.
Simmer gently for the last 10 minutes stirring frequently as the sauce should now be nice and thick.

I had this with some Chapati`s and some Basmati rice.

tip to do Basmati rice is to ...Steep the dried rice in cold water for 30 mins.
then drain it and add the rice to a pan of boiling salter water with a splash of olive oil in it for between 4 and 5 mins ( keep tasting the rice before it goes to soft ) needs to be nice and crunchy, not like rice pudding.

Dreamer
22nd February, 2009, 08:12 PM
I made this yesterday and it is very good. OK it takes a bit of time but it's worth it!! the hard bit is cooking the onions and not burning em. If they burn it makes the curry bitter and is no good. so when you cook the onions keep a close eye on em!!

Once you get used to making the sauce you can make a double portion and and split it into the desired portionsizes and freeze it till you need em. That's what I done

As usual being a garlic and chilli lover I put in extra and some mushrooms too mmmm yummy!

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/dreamer/albums/smillies/230-dinner.gif

jim56
10th March, 2009, 04:28 PM
Could I use beef instead of chicken for my meat or is the sauce specifically for chicken??

unfortunately i don't like any white meat and most of the recipes I see are for chicken or turkey, I often wonder If I could use red meat instead or if I'd need a completely different sauce.

jim

aftermath
10th March, 2009, 04:29 PM
of course, but i would rather go for lamb instead of beef.

EZz
10th March, 2009, 04:50 PM
Heat a good 2-3 tablespoons of Veg oil an a large frying pan. Then fry the onion on high for a few minutes.
Add the ginger, garlic and red chilli. Stir for 30 seconds then put the heat down to very low.
Cook for 25 minutes stirring from time to time, make sure it doesn't burn.
Add the turmeric, cumin and coriander and cook, very gently, for a further 5 minutes. Making sure it dont burn or you will spoil it. Add a few drops of water if need be.
Put 8 fl oz cold water in a blender, add the contents of the pan and blend until very smooth.
Add the passata and stir.
Put the blended mixture back into the pan and cook for 40-45 minutes over very low heat stirring occasionally.
You can add a little
hot water if it starts to stick on the pan but the idea is to gently "fry" the sauce which will darken in colour to an orangey brown.
The final texture should be something like good tomato ketchup.

Now back to the Chicken Madras.

Heat a little of the oil in a large heavy frying pan then fry the chicken pieces over moderate heat until they are sealed and have turned white.
Remove them from the pan and set aside.
Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a heavy saucepan over a moderate heat and add the whole dried chillies and fry until they start to swell.
Turn the heat to low, add 1 tablespoon of the Basic Curry Sauce and stir round.
Add the chilli powder, cumin, coriander and paprika and fry gently stirring all the time, for a minute. Take care not to burn the spices or the curry will lack flavour and taste bitter.
Add the rest of the Basic Curry Sauce, the chicken pieces and salt and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is done. Stir from time to time and
add a little hot water if the sauce starts to catch on the bottom of the pan.
10 minutes from the end add the garam masala.
Simmer gently for the last 10 minutes stirring frequently as the sauce should now be nice and thick.

I had this with some Chapati`s and some Basmati rice.

tip to do Basmati rice is to ...Steep the dried rice in cold water for 30 mins.
then drain it and add the rice to a pan of boiling salter water with a splash of olive oil in it for between 4 and 5 mins ( keep tasting the rice before it goes to soft ) needs to be nice and crunchy, not like rice pudding.

Blimey thats a lot of cooking i like the microwave version

Dreamer
11th March, 2009, 04:38 PM
of course, but i would rather go for lamb instead of beef.

Could I use beef instead of chicken for my meat or is the sauce specifically for chicken??

unfortunately i don't like any white meat and most of the recipes I see are for chicken or turkey, I often wonder If I could use red meat instead or if I'd need a completely different sauce.

jim

I made a double portion of the sauce the first time I made it and froze one portion. The first portion of sauce I used with chicken.

I used the frozen portion on Friday there and made it with lamb and I have to say that I preferred it with the lamb. It was really nice.

I think the next time I do it after I have made the sauce I will try cooking the lamb in the slow cooker cause I love my lamb to be so tender that it practically falls apart in your mouth mmmmmmmmmmmm.

carla
15th March, 2009, 05:07 PM
Sounds nice. I will try this.

sambo2005
26th March, 2009, 02:11 AM
Love Indian food but unfortunately ive always bought it. Think ill have ago at this as it sounds very authentic.
Thanks.

sambo2005
26th March, 2009, 02:13 AM
Dreamer, I think that Lamb in your picture is looking somewhat nervous now lol

Dreamer
26th March, 2009, 09:51 AM
I'm just fattening it up lol

mmmmmmmmmmmmm lamb curry mmmmmmmmmm

jim56
26th March, 2009, 10:45 PM
Finally got round to making this tonight. I used lamb instead of chicken and I loved it... Was always worried that these sauces would be meat specific.
Prob tell I don't do a lot of cooking..

thanks for all the info.

jim

Dreamer
26th March, 2009, 10:46 PM
well done Jim
:party:

it is well worth the effort!

penfold1
10th April, 2009, 11:52 AM
Jim56.
You could even cut meat out altogether if necessary and use either butternut squash or potatoes (cut into 2cmx2cm chunks) to add bulk. The squash will have a sweetening effect on the tastes.