PDA

View Full Version : IFA / XP / Linux

burr1545
14th May, 2008, 02:53 PM
Hi ,

Firstly apologies if this is a stupid question. ;) i'm new around here and might be prone to putting my foot in my mouth

Nokia dbox 2

its running an old image ; sportster i think ,

I want to flash it to something new, as much as an experiment as a requirement , i have got blade 2x.img and from reading the forums it looks like i need to use IFA to flash the box.

also going to nagrarom7 the box , but thats a seperate issue.

The plan is

PC --> router(dhcp) <-- DBox

but this IFA is a Windows program , .exe , but i dont use windows at all , so im kinda up a gumtree using it natively ?

Of course i can run it via a VMWare Windows machine within Linux (ubuntu) , but thats just adding more (network) complications to the mix , or WINE ? anyone tried it ?

Theres no way of flashing directly from linux ?

just wanting to check that my thinking is right here ...

Thanks in advance

Burr

Devilfish
14th May, 2008, 03:09 PM
IFA is not a nessessity to flash a dbox2.

If you can connect to the dbox via ftp then there's an easier way to flash it.

Copy the .img file to the /tmp folder on the box.
Using the remote:

DBOX
SERVICE MENU
SOFTWARE UPDATE
EXPERT FUNCTIONS
WRITE ONE PARTITION
FLASH WITHOUT BOOTLOADER

Select your img from the list and select Yes.

The image on the box will be erased and the new one flashed. It will reboot on it's own after about 2 minutes.

IFA is normally used when there's a problem with the box and it doesn't boot up. But if the box boots up ok and you can connect to it, then this is the easiest way.

I'll upload a version of IFA for linux in a minute. :)

burr1545
14th May, 2008, 03:24 PM
thanks , guess i was overthinking the solution , i overlooked the simple solution and went for the overly technical , its a curse lol ,

I'll need to get my post count up before i can get the linux IFA , which would be useful , would rather source it from here than a less reliable source.

ill try the update later and im sure more questions will arise,

Many thanks for pointing out the obvious to the obviously challenged :)

Burr

turion
14th May, 2008, 08:01 PM
Iv had same prob. need flash asistaint that will work with vista

had the odd box were there aint enought room left in box to ftp some images up to.

Devilfish
14th May, 2008, 11:29 PM
Apparently IFA 3.1.1 is for linux but it comes in an .exe so not sure how that will work.

http://www.hallenberg.com/freedownloads.php?ViewHistory=6

burr1545
15th May, 2008, 09:57 AM
quick update :

got it all singing last night using the blade2x img, had some problems transfering the img using ftp from the command line but used Nautilus to connect over FTP and it was fine.

The box wouldnt see that img file originally, didnt give me an option to browse the file structure , seemed to be looking in one location only , but i wrote out a image using the expert functions and the then found where that was , stuck the blade img in there , /tmp/var if i remember correctly , and it picked up the img from there.

Set my location , then had to scan , and hey presto ,

now that we have sorted that out , i think i will flash it with one of the other images , fatman perhaps ,

Thanks for your help devilfish :) appreciated .. .

burr

blah2809
15th May, 2008, 11:13 PM
IFA should work well under Wine as it's a basic Win32 programme

FTP's stll the easiest way. Fire FTP add on for Firefox is very handy for throwing images on

burr1545
16th May, 2008, 10:38 AM
IFA should work well under Wine as it's a basic Win32 programme

FTP's stll the easiest way. Fire FTP add on for Firefox is very handy for throwing images on

Thanks for the insight, i still havent got around to trying IFA under WINE ( and i suppose thats a good thing really huh :) .. ) ..

Appreciate the FireFTP tip , but for super ease i stuck a static IP on the DBOX and mounted the FTP connection as a folder on my desktop , just browse and drop ,

Thanks as always,

blah2809
16th May, 2008, 01:56 PM
...for super ease i stuck a static IP on the DBOX and mounted the FTP connection as a folder on my desktop , just browse and drop ....

and thanks again back - never knew you could do this - just done it for an FTP server in work and will do it at home with the dbox

busta87
19th May, 2008, 01:33 AM
Just FTP mate since you cant use and exe