PDA

View Full Version : which ipad, normal or 3g

wetdog
3rd November, 2012, 05:18 PM
my dad wants to know if he should change his new ipad 2 for a 3g model, and why please?

Shady
3rd November, 2012, 06:32 PM
my hatred of apple aside.. its obvious the only reason to consider changing is if he wants to use the webbernet out and about.. if he doesnt, stick with wifi, and if he does go with 3g.

seriously mick, sometimes i wonder about you lol

wetdog
3rd November, 2012, 06:55 PM
cheers sean.

i know lol.

Sandman2209
5th November, 2012, 11:53 PM
do you need the 3g one to use the navigation function ???
as i have the ipad 2 but not taken it out the house yet ?

wetdog
6th November, 2012, 10:52 AM
No bud he doesn't.
He has a slight problem with it and has now exchanged it, he was wondering if to get a mobile model. I said no but asked on here just I case I missed something.........again lol

davhth4
7th January, 2013, 10:08 PM
The 3g model is only good if you use it on the move.:sheep:

georgrouk
11th January, 2013, 03:12 PM
If you have a smartphone you can tether and use your mobile data plan ;-)

Pppr
11th January, 2013, 03:33 PM
I have had iPad 1, 2 and 3 all with sim cards. I have hardly used them for data as wifi has been everywhere. One thing however is not well known is that real GPS works only with models with sim card.

esobd2sugar
31st January, 2013, 02:49 AM
i buy the Ipad4...
and it's not a 3G version....
i think most place has the Wifi...
so no need the 3G version i think

my dad wants to know if he should change his new ipad 2 for a 3g model, and why please?

Lodger
21st June, 2013, 09:19 PM
I have a 3G iPad and I think if you are buying one, then buy a 3G model. If you already have the wifi only then tether to your mobile plan if you need Internet access on your iPad on the move. My lads have the iPad wifi only which has been fit for purpose as all they use it for is games. Only thing with 3G is that you have to get a 3G plan of some description. Be it payg or contract. I have the 3 payg at the moment which gives me 3gb of data to use within 3 months for ?20.
used sensibly, that gives plenty for email and browsing. I also have the Vodafone payg but the Internet on that is absolute pants! Three Internet is the best by far. I also have a mobile phone the "one plan" with three which gives me 2gb of Internet allowance per month which I have been told by three customer service, that I can tether from to use on my iPad. If you are tethering, just make sure that your mobile plan allows you to do so. Once my iPad data plan expires, I will be using my mobile phone plan to connect to the Internet using tethering. I still top up the 3 data sim if I ever need to. Also bare in mind that only 3G iPads have built in GPS (as mentioned by Ppps).

thijsk89
23rd June, 2013, 09:42 PM
i buy the Ipad4...
and it's not a 3G version....
i think most place has the Wifi...
so no need the 3G version i think
i'd have to agree :) , wifi hotspots (free and public) are becoming more and more standard.

Pppr
9th July, 2013, 04:01 PM
There is one possibility that is added that makes iPad with 3G more attractive. In France, service providers are now giving away a second sim card free with an iPhone (or another mobile device) subscription. It is data only but uses the same mobile plan. That is, it is like using your iPhone with much bigger scree (or using both of them).
Now with my iPad, I have 4G connection away from wifi zone. In fact with the 4G, I get a faster connection than my home wifi!

jabawokee
14th October, 2013, 09:27 PM
Ipad 2 without the 3G. As you say he probably doesn't need it anyway

GastonJ
15th October, 2013, 11:38 PM
I have an ipad 2 3G. Though I don't use the 3G side of it much, I do find it handy when I'm staying away and there is no wifi. Better to have the option to use it, and use it if needed, than not have the option at all...