PDA

View Full Version : need help with satellites

ih8theory
6th November, 2012, 12:11 AM
i just took the step to free sat, and have installed a motorized 1M dish with a MEGASAT diavolo 0.1DB SINGLE LNB.
i have the latest channel list, and a good strong signal on Thor @0.8w, but i can't get any signal on other satellites.

Help is needed, and would be much appreciated as i'm a total newbie to satellite systems!

Nutsandbolts
6th November, 2012, 12:50 AM
Hi. Are you using USALS or 1.2 to move your dish???. How many channels are you getting on THOR?? Make sure you have correct TP's(frequencies) for the satellites otherwise you wont find anything.
Regards.

ih8theory
6th November, 2012, 03:19 PM
I'm using 1.2 and on a full search i have 630 channels.
i assume the TP list is correct as it upgraded together with
the satellite list.

mdt
6th November, 2012, 04:10 PM
I'm using 1.2 and on a full search i have 630 channels.
i assume the TP list is correct as it upgraded together with
the satellite list.

set your dish up to use usals and once you have thor@1w set up the other satellites should come in,regards mdt

ih8theory
6th November, 2012, 04:14 PM
can i just change to usals? or do i need to realign the dish?

Nutsandbolts
6th November, 2012, 05:56 PM
can i just change to usals? or do i need to realign the dish?

Hi. You cant just change from one to the other as they work in different ways ie USALS is the auto search and 1.2 is the manual and save search. Your best bet is to do the following:
a) Make a mark on the dish and motor so you can re-alignt it THOR.
b) Change receiver setting to USALS. Put in your LATITUDE and LONGITUDE figures ie for LONDON its 51.5N LATITUDE and 00.1W LONGITUDE or there abouts.
c) Send dish to the THOR satellite using the GOTO command in MOTOR menu.
d) When motor stops re-align dish to THOR using alignment marks in step a.
e)Check programs ok on THOR. Then send it to another satellite like HOTBIRD or whatever you can pick up for your dish size.
f) If no signal on HOTBIRD make sure channel list is up to date or adjust dish angles slightly till you get a signal. You may need to re-adjust dish height and angles a few times until you get it spot on. Hope this makes sense.

Good Luck.

:party:

ih8theory
6th November, 2012, 10:49 PM
I'll try this weekend, it's to dark by the time i'm home from work.
i browsed through the menus earlier, and the only goto i have when i change to usals is reference.

ih8theory
10th November, 2012, 03:40 PM
have tried usals, no dice! i get thor, but nothing else.
have tried moving up and down left and right, but all i get is thor.
by using 1.2 i get eutelsat w3 and w2 and intermittently astra 1c and hotbird

Nutsandbolts
10th November, 2012, 06:55 PM
Hi. Is your motor USALS friendly ie does it actually move the dish?? ?? What motor is it?? If you get sats using 1.2 then you should get them using USALS. Have you changed your USALS setting to correct LATITUDE and LONGITUDE figures??... If you are getting HOTBIRD intermittenly then this tells me that your dish is not properly aligned.

Regards

ih8theory
10th November, 2012, 07:11 PM
the lat. and long. is set according to dishpointer website. the motor is a M-vision, and according to the seller it's usals compatible. when i switch to usals on thor, the motor moves to 13.4 W and when i switch satellite it moves the dish. it seems to me that it's extremely sencitive on the elevation angle, if i move it +- .5 deg. i loose the signal, i can barley tighten it without loosing the signal.

mdt
10th November, 2012, 07:42 PM
the lat. and long. is set according to dishpointer website. the motor is a M-vision, and according to the seller it's usals compatible. when i switch to usals on thor, the motor moves to 13.4 W and when i switch satellite it moves the dish. it seems to me that it's extremely sencitive on the elevation angle, if i move it +- .5 deg. i loose the signal, i can barley tighten it without loosing the signal.

the dish elevation movement is sensetive cos if you move it 2mm here on earth at 36000km in geostationary orbit it is a great deal more. does your lat on the side of your motor match the lat in your menu in the stb? not to worry patience is they key when aligning a motorised dish especially without a professional field meter,regards mdt

Nutsandbolts
10th November, 2012, 08:10 PM

Hi. Yes satellite signals are very sensitive. I dont know where you get 13.4w for THOR but this is where the problem lies.Try this:
a) Using USALS set motor to zero by using the GOTO REFERENCE option in reciever USALS menu. This should put motor to the zero mark on dial. If possible check dial to make sure its at zero.
b) Check in receiver USALS menu under SAT POSITION it says 0.8W or 1.0 W for THOR. If so then send motor to THOR. Motor should only move a fraction to the right for THOR. If possible check dial to confirm its near the 1 mark.
c) If no pictures then re-align dish to get picture. When you get pictures then USALS is set up for THOR.
d) When happy with THOR check out the other satellites. You should go close to all satellites available for your dish size etc. You may need to fine tune the dish angles to get it spot on.
As already mentioned make sure you have correct frequencies for the satellites otherwise you wont find them. And as mdt pointed out it takes PATIENCE.
Regards