PDA

View Full Version : d s l wireless and dongal wats the best???

bigfella
20th February, 2009, 09:12 PM
:hello:hi... my lappy is currently connected to a virgin modem...my cable provider..by a ethernet cable. which keeps cumin loose..was thinkin of goin wireless ....is dsl wat i need plus a dongal...was just thinkin of usin it in the house not for takin away with me when travellin etc ...does goin wireless affect the speed of use.. on when on the net,,downloadin web pages or downloadin for example,,,cud anyone reccommend wat to get ..make model and where is the best place to get it...many thanks ...bigfella

Jaffa
20th February, 2009, 09:20 PM
Wireless wont affect the download speeds or your net activity, the only difference in speeds is if you are moving stuff from one pc to another over the network.

I have used Netgear, Belkin and Linksys routers and they are all as good as the other.

Personally I am now using a Linksys WRT53GS which is excellent and good value for money.

Just google the model and you will get links for prices.

bigfella
20th February, 2009, 09:31 PM
thanks for the speedy reply,,,do i need a dongal for that or just the rerouter

Jaffa
20th February, 2009, 09:38 PM
You will need a dongle to connect to it, unless you have wirlesss built in.

I know Amazon had an offer on a while back for a Netgear wireless router and dongle came free....but dont know if its still on offer.

Try to pick on of the more common wirless routers like Netgear, Linksys or Belkin because if you ever need help thats what most people have and therefore you get more help.

btw...the dongle and router don't have to be the same make.

bigfella
21st February, 2009, 01:57 AM
i m sorry if this is a stupid question but do i still need to buy a dongle if my laptop is wireless enabled ...thank you bigfella

Jaffa
21st February, 2009, 10:18 AM
No m8 you don't need it if it has wirleless built into it, just the wireless router will be enough.

bigfella
22nd February, 2009, 02:16 AM
thank you for all your help .eventually...i :party: ordered a Netgear WGR614UK Wireless 54G Cable Router from amazon....again many thanks ,much appreciated ,...bigfella:party::party:

Jaffa
22nd February, 2009, 08:43 AM
When you get it just shove in the cd which comes with it and follow the instructions, it is simple if you do exactly what it tells you to do. A few minutes and you will be up and running. For security I use WPA-PSK settings. It should ask you if you want to set security up but if it doesnt you can do it manually.

If you ever misplace the cd and need the software again....it is in the downloads section.

bigfella
22nd February, 2009, 08:01 PM
thank you for all the advice ...nice one...bigfella:party::party::party::party:

bigfella
26th February, 2009, 10:11 PM
just a update ...router arrived today from amazon ..took 5 mins to set up ....set wireless assist on comp as we;ll no need for dongal ,,another 2 mins and all workin g reat ....thank you for all your help n advice ...bigfella:party::party::party::party::party:

Jaffa
27th February, 2009, 01:01 AM
Nice one, thanks for the update. I assume security etc is all set up and running.

bigfella
27th February, 2009, 11:52 PM
Nice one, thanks for the update. I assume security etc is all set up and running.
yup set up secruity ok ..same as ur s ...cheers,,,bigfella:party::party::party::party: