PDA

View Full Version : ebook/kindle/tablet

aftermath
17th November, 2012, 07:24 PM
looking for one for the missus for xmas, its mainly to just read books, and need to be able to read most formats that i can download, i am not too fussed about apps, wifi e.t.c . would be happy to just install ebooks from pc..

what are my best and cheapest options chaps/chappesses ?

i was pointed to the kindle fire hd ?

she got a smart phone , so games/apps e.t.c. can be done on that ( samsung galaxy s2 )

Shady
17th November, 2012, 07:30 PM
best imo would be a droid tablet, just in case she ever wants to watch a video, browse the web play a game etc,
the rk3066 based tabs are comparable to tegra 3 based tablets but much cheaper, even if you buy in uk.
Sumvision Cyclone Voyager Tablet PC - Tablets | Ebuyer.com (http://www.ebuyer.com/407319-sumvision-cyclone-voyager-tablet-pc-cycvoy7)

aftermath
17th November, 2012, 07:33 PM
just been looking at a samsung galaxy tab 3 for ?170 ?

Shady
17th November, 2012, 07:35 PM
it will no doubt be a good tablet, but ?170 when as you say it will be mostly used for books?
I believe that that a tablet like the one i posted fits your requirements in best/cheapest categories.

aftermath
17th November, 2012, 07:45 PM
it will no doubt be a good tablet, but ?170 when as you say it will be mostly used for books?
I believe that that a tablet like the one i posted fits your requirements in best/cheapest categories.

looks good bargain m8, be interested if anyone has one and can let me know what its like.. ?

manxspud
17th November, 2012, 08:16 PM
Whilst i agree that android tablets are great for reading ebooks and can read all formats ... the biggest drawback is battery life which is hours and if its just for reading waiting for the os to boot up is a pain in the arse.

Get a dedicated ebook reader ... battery life is days / weeks and boot up in seconds ... drawback is you will have to decide on a formate cause they are normally locked to one or 2 types.

I bought a kobo when smiths had them at ?45 ... i like to read so i pick it up and am reading in a few seconds ... throw it down and come back later not having to worry about it needing charging ... when i was using android tabs to read they always needed f**king charging when i wanted to read and it just p*ssed me off no end lol

So if your wife is a avid reader get her a kobo or standard kindle that can go for a week or 2 on one charge lol

Ps ... i got the kobo cause i already have a ton of epub books already ... i have gone back to reading the dragonlance and forgotten realms books

saintashley
17th November, 2012, 09:53 PM
Get a kindle. Battery last weeks and if you download calibre it will convert all formats to work on it.

The kindle screen is easier on the eye than a tablet which is a big thing for reading as eye strain is common.

aftermath
18th November, 2012, 12:45 PM
decided to go for the Asus Nexus 7.. that way i can play with it too lol and not just for reading books..

Shady
18th November, 2012, 12:53 PM
before you buy, you may want to look at the quadrant results for an rk3066 based tab (pipo max 1)
and a transformer prime using a more powerful tegra 3 than the nexus

RK3066: Dual Core CPU up to 1.6Ghz / Quad Core Mali-400 at 266Mhz
Tegra III: Quad Core CPU up to 1.4Ghz / 12-Core ULP GeForce at ???Mhz

Overall Score
RK3066 = 4288
Tegra III = 4085

manxspud
18th November, 2012, 05:52 PM
decided to go for the Asus Nexus 7.. that way i can play with it too lol and not just for reading books..

lol can't argue with the logic behind that choice lol

As far as android tablets go is a good choice ... get a good case for it though cause if you damage the screen they are expensive to repair.

Lainie
18th November, 2012, 08:39 PM
i have the galaxy tab 2 and love it.

Canker_Canison
20th November, 2012, 03:42 PM
If it's just for reading, get an ereader.

Kindle 4 - ?69
Kobo Glo - ?99
Nook Glow - ?99

It doesn't really make a difference which one you choose. But here are some of the pro's & cons.

Kindle 4

Pro - send books from pc via email, 4 weeks battery life, most common format used.

Con - only uses mobi & pdf formats, screens break & cannot be repaired cheaply, no built in light or touch screen.

Kobo Glo

Pro - Cheaper than a kindle paperwhite, handles most formats, touch screen, built in light

Con - no email support, battery life around 2 weeks, kindle 4 is cheaper

Nook Glow

Pro - Memory expandable (Micro SD), touch screen, built in light, rubberized case finish, battery life between 1 & 2 months.

Con - kindle 4 is cheaper, only handles epub & pdf