PDA

View Full Version : no hdmi on dm800 ? some people tested DVI > HDMI ?

busta45
15th May, 2008, 10:23 AM
i see that the dreambox have no hdmi but dvi, someone tested DVI > hdmi cable ? and what is the result ?
is there any other major " missing " stuff on dm800

thommo
15th May, 2008, 11:25 AM
picture quality will be the same as hdmi but if i remember right it doesnt carry sound so you'll need to find another way.

kagon
17th May, 2008, 02:20 PM
I've used DVI --> HDMI cables to connect my laptop to my TV, works great. As thommo says you do need to resolve what you're going to do with the audio though as that's not something the DVI standard was designed to handle.

charlie senator
17th May, 2008, 02:29 PM
Dvi is capable of handling audio from what i've heard though i don't know if the 800 is configured to use it for sound

kagon
17th May, 2008, 03:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

One of the specific targets of the HDMI specification was to provide a single cable for both video and audio (among others). DVI has no pins available for audio so unless Dream Multimedia has done some horrible hack (that no DVI input device would be able to receive anyway) I don't see how audio could be transported over DVI and actually used.

cyber2k1
25th May, 2008, 04:53 PM
hi guys the way im planning to get past this prob is to use the
XCM-HDMI,DVI crossover selector as i can connect the audio through that, and then output it through hdmi, well thats how im hoping it all works out
will let u know how it goes once i got the dm800

kagon
26th May, 2008, 08:52 AM
As good an idea as any really. There are also various manufacturers of converter boxes that go DVI+SPDIF--->HDMI or DVI+COMPONENT---->HDMI like:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3570

if you're not into spending the money for an HDMI switch.

cyber2k1
5th June, 2008, 10:14 PM
hi guys, just got my box, and it came with a dvi2hdmi cable and the audio works, so there is no need to get anything else for it :)

loncell
7th June, 2008, 12:43 PM
i have heard people in china are struggling to crack the encryption for the dm800 so it could be quite awhile before copied boxes appear.

2tone
11th June, 2008, 10:49 PM
Have to say i love the 800 was a bit of a mess to set up at the strat but after you get used to the menu set up its not a prob still alot of bugs to be fixed in it but apart form that its good