PDA

View Full Version : Losing Brake Fluid??

bugaloo41
22nd February, 2009, 07:23 PM
Over the past month or so my car handbrake light has come on intermittently when driving. Thought initially that i just needed to top up the brake fluid. Sure enough this fixed it but light just came on again today. Noticed a relatively small damp patch on the ground at the rear wheel (drivers side) of the car. Anyone any ideas what this could be.

I know absolutely zero about cars and will take it to a garage but a "heads up" would be appreciated. Big job or not?

thanks in advance.

hartlepaul
22nd February, 2009, 07:28 PM
could be one of the seals gone on your rear brake cylinder, get down to floor level and see if the back of the rear hub is wet.
Handrake warning lights tend to be switches connected to the handrake handle rather than connected to the brakes themselves. Phone your local dealer ask for the service centre and explain they will tell you

C64
22nd February, 2009, 07:31 PM
Get it checked ASAP mate, you don't want your brakes failing.

gmb45
22nd February, 2009, 07:59 PM
Over the past month or so my car handbrake light has come on intermittently when driving. Thought initially that i just needed to top up the brake fluid. Sure enough this fixed it but light just came on again today. Noticed a relatively small damp patch on the ground at the rear wheel (drivers side) of the car. Anyone any ideas what this could be.

I know absolutely zero about cars and will take it to a garage but a "heads up" would be appreciated. Big job or not?

thanks in advance.definitely brake cylinder m8 had exactly the same thing happen to my car,and my brakes went, so get it fixed before your in a fix.also dont try and save money by just having one side done, or u may find the other may go to

bugaloo41
22nd February, 2009, 09:58 PM
Cheers for the help guys much appreciated.

cactikid
22nd February, 2009, 11:07 PM
u could have said what box u have and have u updated it and yes things can be fatal

C64
22nd February, 2009, 11:50 PM
definitely brake cylinder m8 had exactly the same thing happen to my car,and my brakes went, so get it fixed before your in a fix.also dont try and save money by just having one side done, or u may find the other may go to

Absolutely, do both at the same time.

If one has went then the other is sure to go soon.

Shortie
1st March, 2009, 12:51 AM
If brake fluid is leaking onto the ground from the rear hub/back plate, then you can be sure it has got onto the brake shoes, in which case you will need to change the shoes on both sides as well.

cactikid
1st March, 2009, 01:04 AM
as said car was never mentioned,it might have brake pads fitted to rear,also might have hydraulic clutch,they leak as well,brake pipes rot in uk due to salting of roads in winter,also rubber pipes can leak.have it properly looked at.