PDA

View Full Version : iphone 4 problems. Help please...

nagra01
23rd November, 2012, 08:51 PM
Hello all. I recently found an iphone whilst working outside, it is either a 4 or a 4s but im not sure? Anyway, it was smashed to bits on the front and has no back cover but i took it home anyway to see if there was any life in it. I've managed to charge it up and it comes on ok with sound but when it comes on it says emergency mode, i have used a micro sim and it still comes up with emergency mode but says o2 in the top corner. Is there any way i can unlock it so i can use it or is it totally blocked? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.....Nags :ridinghorse:

johnboy1974
24th November, 2012, 08:23 PM
Well firstly if you look at the mute switch on the side of the phone if it has a line above it then it's a 4s otherwise it's a 4.
It isn't blocked because it shows o2. Try putting the phone into dfu mode( check out YouTube ) and connecting to iTunes where it will do a full restore of the phone. This will remove the password protection and hopefully give you a working phone. If you get it working then go to settings/about. It will tell you the capacity of phone ie 16gb 32gb or 64gb.The phone can be repaired yourself by ordering the screen and back cover from amazon parts are fairly cheap and job fairly easy to do. If you don't want to repair yourself then put into shop or sell on eBay but tell exactly where you got phone and what is wrong with phone, I reckon you will get at least 100 pounds for it sold as seen.

nagra01
27th November, 2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks a lot Johnboy i've managed to sort it and do a full restore through itunes, massive help that. I just need to get the front and back glass sorted now, i've been quoted around ?50 for the repair, would you say that's a reasonable fee to pay? I haven't got a clue with the iphones so i'm just after some advice, can you recommend a site or anywhere that does cheap repairs?.....Nags

Doomingdr
27th November, 2012, 08:56 PM
nagra01 if I was you on ebau you can get a complete screen for about ?30 and a back cover for ?5-?10 if you google how to replace iphone screen its very easy (just incase you dont want to pay for it) You will find the step by step instructions.

nagra01
27th November, 2012, 09:00 PM
Cheers for the advice doomingdr, i'll look into it, a mate said he'd do the front for ?35 and I know I can do the back so i'll probably just do that. Thanks a lot people......Nags

digilox
30th November, 2012, 10:00 AM
Not wanting to rain on your parade but there is a chance the phone might get blocked i.e. the person who lost it might report it lost/stolen and bang ... you're blocked !

kebabs
30th November, 2012, 11:25 AM
Cheers for the advice doomingdr, i'll look into it, a mate said he'd do the front for ?35 and I know I can do the back so i'll probably just do that. Thanks a lot people......Nags

It's easy to do you self, but ?35 is fair, if hes supplying the front screen, might as well buy the back at the same time, as it has to come off anyway to do the front

johnboy1974
30th November, 2012, 11:15 PM
Thanks a lot Johnboy i've managed to sort it and do a full restore through itunes, massive help that. I just need to get the front and back glass sorted now, i've been quoted around ?50 for the repair, would you say that's a reasonable fee to pay? I haven't got a clue with the iphones so i'm just after some advice, can you recommend a site or anywhere that does cheap repairs?.....Nags

Nags that sounds like a great price for the repair, why risk it yourself to save around a tenner. Let them repair it.

sinclair49
6th December, 2012, 04:59 PM
nagra01,had to get main done,front and back about 6 weeks ago, took it to phone shop it cost me ?90