PDA

View Full Version : Fiesta Handbrake..

ozshea
23rd February, 2009, 04:25 PM
Hi There, My 1999 fiesta just failed its NCT, The handbrake is only partially locking on the drivers side,in the last few months i put new cylinders and shoes in the back so maybe its a quick fix, any pointers appreciated.
thanks oz.

zaphodbb
23rd February, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hi There, My 1999 fiesta just failed its NCT, The handbrake is only partially locking on the drivers side,in the last few months i put new cylinders and shoes in the back so maybe its a quick fix, any pointers appreciated.
thanks oz.
i take it you have checked the obvious ie cables are in good order and the cams inside the brake drum are not ceased a good spray with wd40 on all moving parts (except drums and shoes ) can work wonders, take the drum off on the drivers side and get someone to operate the hand brake and see if the shoes move then you can tell if its the cable or something else. hope this helps !!

ozshea
23rd February, 2009, 05:09 PM
im going to strip it down tomorrow and see where it takes me, thanks for your reply

riget
23rd February, 2009, 06:34 PM
Could be the self adjusters gone, it don't come with the shoes, you have to buy as a kit, you can get around it by manually adjusting it, then putting a self tapper in.

cactikid
23rd February, 2009, 10:29 PM
and slacken off handbrake before adjusting shoes,to recheck
when finished with car jacked up and on stands for safety get someone in the car to pull up handbrake 1 notch at a time and try turning wheel with both hands and count clicks on both wheels until locked.
i presume u know there is a leading and trailing shoe on each side.

ozshea
25th February, 2009, 01:42 AM
took off the hub 2day, no leaking cylinder or anytin that stood out, so i gave the shoes a little rub down wit abrasive pad and adjusted the adjusters manually a couple of clicks, a small spray of WD40, 2 turns on the nut at the centre console and bobs ur uncle as good as new.

thanks for your replys lads.

we'll call this thread closed.