PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu linux section

ps2chiper
23rd February, 2009, 09:10 PM
I was wondering if you can add a linux os section or just a ubuntu section. I have been using linux for the past year as my sole operation system. and I must say it kicks the shit out of windows. So for other people that are trying ween off of windows tits. I would like to help them.

.: JaCkPoT :.
23rd February, 2009, 09:44 PM
Maybe it could be a sub forum in the pc section!

ps2chiper
23rd February, 2009, 09:49 PM
Anything would be nice, because when you post in the pc software or pc probelms or anything like that. everyone assumes you are talking about windows. but linux is completely different.

Devilfish
23rd February, 2009, 10:18 PM
We don't really get linux questions, probably because we don't have a linux section, but it's difficult to approve a linux section because we don't know if it's going to be popular - know what I mean?

Lets see what others think about it!

ps2chiper
23rd February, 2009, 10:22 PM
People wont take it seriously unless you take it seriously. Linux is Superior to windows and people wont come to the this board if they dont support it.

.: JaCkPoT :.
24th February, 2009, 12:01 AM
I give it the go!
I think it will be a good addition!

Mjolinor
24th February, 2009, 07:13 AM
Well I would vote for one. I have used Linux for at least 10 years and rarely use Windo$e anymore. I don't think it's possible to never use Windo$e as there are always some things that you need it for despite it's total inability to work properly.

Doesn't matter how experienced you are with an OS there are always times when you can't solve a problem and having somewhere to talk about it without having to join a Linux community would be good.

I wouldn't make it an Ubuntu forum as Ubuntu is far from the best Linux OS, it just offers an easy passage from Micro$haft. It is suffering lately from terminal bloat and is beginning to show the same speed and stability issues that people are trying to get away from.

Bulld0g
24th February, 2009, 02:13 PM
I think it could be worth a try. I've been thinking about dabbling with Linux and a forum for Linux here could be a good thing. How about a trial period DF. :)

caveman_nige
24th February, 2009, 02:47 PM
It could be somewhere for me to bitch about how much of a pain in the arse it is and why my wifi connection is crap and does not work om my laptops ubuntu partition....

Bulldog you can download a live Ubuntu version on DVD which will allow you to boot up on it and get a feel for it etc. If ou like it you can just install it into a partition on your hard disk, that way when you get peed of with it its easy to bin it, or if you like it you can give it more disk space.. Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download)

cdstack
24th February, 2009, 03:03 PM
I tried Linux many times but always go back to windows.
All the stuff i need to run is always on windows. I just find windows for more user friendly withoout driver problems. I recently tried Ubuntu linux on an IBM T22 laptop with 256mb but it ran very slow so loaded my windows 2000 back on it.

ps2chiper
24th February, 2009, 03:36 PM
Dont run ubuntu with less then 1 gig of ram.

ps2chiper
24th February, 2009, 03:37 PM
You need to use a program on linux that will let it read the windows drivers. then the wifi will work perfectly

Devilfish
24th February, 2009, 04:05 PM
OK guys, looks like there's enough interest to give it a go. :)

Now created in the PC section. If it grows with variable tangents, we can make it into it's own section.