PDA

View Full Version : Anti Virus ??

Kebabzz
24th February, 2009, 02:15 AM
Hi Whats the Best Anti -Virus ??:call:

gmb45
24th February, 2009, 05:49 AM
Hi Whats the Best Anti -Virus ??:call: i use avast m8 which is also a resident scanner i find it very good i also back it up with malwarebytes,spyware terminator,a-squared free,advanced system care 3 and adaware anniversary edition all very good and free

zaphodbb
24th February, 2009, 07:30 AM

i use avira antivir personal its a free download and it has a higher detection rating than most of the others like avg and avast !!

tzdimitris
24th February, 2009, 07:30 AM
i believe norton is the best of all and kaspersky but kaspersky is heavy .

bugaloo41
24th February, 2009, 11:22 PM
i use symantec corporate. not sure its the best but never let me down.

joe516
25th February, 2009, 09:57 AM
i use avast m8

alexh
25th February, 2009, 02:20 PM
I was using AVG from the start of time upto v7.

However with the release of v8 it runs like a dog without a second core.

I'm still on a 1-core system and AVG's resident shield steals phenomenal amounts of CPU and hard drive bandwidth.

This AVAST any better?

i use avast m8 which is also a resident scanner i find it very good i also back it up with malwarebytes,spyware terminator,a-squared free,advanced system care 3 and adaware anniversary edition all very good and free
Damn, how do you do any work? With all that running it would slow my computer down soooo much!

You must have a 4GHz quad core CPU with RAID0 HD's or something :)

krazylegz
25th February, 2009, 02:23 PM
bitdefender is the best antivirus.

AntiVirus Software Review 2009 - TopTenREVIEWS (http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/)

jetsada
24th March, 2009, 06:21 PM
Depends if you want free or not.

Free - AVGFree and Spybot (spybot being a malware scanner not a complete AV)

Paid - McAfee, Norton = good but heavy on the system. Vipre is a good light efficient AV from sunbelt systems which is the AV I use.

zaphodbb
24th March, 2009, 06:30 PM
ok watch my lips, avira ok its free, avg, avast, all the others shite believe me, end of story, are we done yet :canabis:

firemouth
25th March, 2009, 02:44 PM
ok watch my lips, avira ok its free, avg, avast, all the others shite believe me, end of story, are we done yet :canabis:

No as i would disagrees. i find AVG the best free option, number two being comodo security. over all i'd go for kesperski as the BEST

Melange
19th May, 2009, 09:47 AM
Hey, you know something about "Kaspersky antivirus" or DrWeb?

azd
20th May, 2009, 03:54 PM
Kaspersky internet securite is the best pb the key it's paid

lsless
29th May, 2009, 06:43 PM
Avira AntVir , is good .

Bulld0g
29th May, 2009, 07:33 PM
Eset nod32 security suite for me on windows 7
on xp Outpost, which just crashes W7

sattboy
30th May, 2009, 02:23 AM
avast pro is the best used it for 5 yrs now it misses nothing and when it finds a virus it alerts you by a blue and yellow bar along the bottom of the screen,and then a voice say's WARNINING YOU HAVE A VIRUS ON YOUR COMPUTER and then you put it to chest.for me its the best.

ralle
16th August, 2009, 08:14 PM
I use Avast.. never have had any problems :)

andy4
16th August, 2009, 08:19 PM
avast pro is the best used it for 5 yrs now it misses nothing and when it finds a virus it alerts you by a blue and yellow bar along the bottom of the screen,and then a voice say's WARNINING YOU HAVE A VIRUS ON YOUR COMPUTER and then you put it to chest.for me its the best.

mmmm can you post link sattboy

chroma
17th August, 2009, 03:19 AM
I use Common Sense 2009.
Doesnt use any memory or clock cycles.
Doesnt give me annoying pop up warnings.
Doesnt need to sit waiting to load or grinding my system to a halt whilst it scans.

Best AV EVER.

jetsada
17th August, 2009, 09:25 AM
I use Common Sense 2009.
Doesnt use any memory or clock cycles.
Doesnt give me annoying pop up warnings.
Doesnt need to sit waiting to load or grinding my system to a halt whilst it scans.

Best AV EVER.

useful reply.

It's surprising it's not hogging all your system resources (especially the memory) given your extremely intelligent avatar.

Raven
17th August, 2009, 04:48 PM
Best anti virus is mostly a subjective topic after a certain point (the dregs) - beyond that they all do the same basic job....after all you can have the best antivirus in the world fact, and yet the biggest security risk is something no anti virus can ever and never account for and that's the stupidity of the person in front of the computer (or lack therof).....so.....the topic of question really matters not after a certain point - you will be fine with avg, avast, comodo, kasperky etc etc....some might say stay away from Norton though.

Personally I use AVG whenever I bother with antiviruses....I think a more important question should be "which is the best firewall software to use?" and for that thus far I'd say Comodo Firewall....by the way I'm surprised nobody noticed this but this thread is in the wrong section as this is the pc games section.....

Oh one more tip.....and heed this warning if you value your data.....stay away from any software made by Symantec! So that's Norton Anti Virus, Partition Magic etc etc.....there's miles better and lesser known alternatives out there that do the job advertised properly - remember if it's Symantec it's Shit. Don't believe me ? Use Symantec products and see how long your PC lasts - then use alternative products and see the difference in how easy and stress free it is to do what you wanted to do in the first place.

simonn
17th August, 2009, 05:01 PM
i use symantec corporate. not sure its the best but never let me down.

Never let me down either!

Don't understand the problem with symantec? I've used it for years as well as also using other programs.

Raven
17th August, 2009, 05:21 PM
I could give you a horror story or two....here goes - how does sluggish and difficult to get rid of sound ? how about not doing it's job particularly well ? and this is talking of norton anti virus which is part of the symantec product line......

As for Partition Magic - get this - just last week, all I wanted to do in the first place was to convert my NTFS external hard drive to FAT32 without losing any data (for use with my PS3) and reading around the net quite a few people suggested Partition Magic as being able to do that job - so I tried it, nothing but hassle, didn't do it's job, and corrupted my data so had to salvage what I could (which thankfully was most of it) but had to sacrifice one of my smaller Operating System partitions to do this....so then once the data had been salvaged I had another read around and tried out software called System Commander....and the difference was night and day....it was easier to use, it did the job properly, without any fuss, on a more corrupted hard drive at that point thanks to Partition Magic (which at that same point flat out refused to work literally - as in program wouldn't even start due to error message!) and it was nothing to do with what I was doing wrong, like I said all I wanted to do was a simple conversion, and did it with System Commander - it was just crappy software vs decent software. So yes, stay well away from Symantec - they don't make good stuff.

chroma
18th August, 2009, 04:24 AM
useful reply.

It's surprising it's not hogging all your system resources (especially the memory) given your extremely intelligent avatar.

Of course its a useful reply:

WHY?
Any virus worth its salt will infect a fair number of systems before it even gets discovered let alone AV developers finding a method of neutralising it, then it takes time to update the AV signature databases, then the AV client needs to update from the server.
Even then its fdisturbingly easy to work around this simply by opening up any virus executable and padding it with a few bytes of useless data in any common hex editor, or dissassembling the exe, adding a few more unconditional jumps between calls or even simply adding some comments!
There are even various resources out there to allow you to fire up any commonly available assembler and write your own from scratch without even really knowing a thing about the assembly language for the hardware your running on.
Any decent writer is patient enough to allow months sometimes even years for a virus to cultivate before triggering its payload, just sitting on a system doing nothing to arouse any kind of suspicion.

Its far easier to simply AVOID getting infected in the first place
How about NOT clicking on all those strobing popups before you read them (i recently read a fairly alarming study on this very topic, even when users are presented with "THIS WILL COMPLETELY FORMAT YOUR DRIVES CONTENTS DO YOU WISH TO PROCEED" users more often than not just clicked yes to get rid of the box)
Not downloading NOODZ from your daily spam and generaly avoiding downloading anything from an unverifiable source.
If it doesnt have an MD5 or a CRC to allow me to verify then its really not worth the bandwidth to download.
Completely dumping IE and its insane ActiveX scripting is also fairly useful as is slapping on some kind of script filtering onto any browser you do actualy use.
Not downloading hippity hop Retards Attempting Poetry from shady p2p clients like limewire or shareazza is also a fairly intelligent move. If i was to patch a virus to something you can bet your ass it would be the latest chart topper and id dump it straight onto every peer to peer network i could think of (and i can think of a LOT of p2p networks)

A decent firewall setup effectively prevents any unused ports from connecting so worms like those that where designed to run over the remote procedural call and their ilk are rendered useless.
Also every so often running a netstat -n and some simple diagnostic tools whilst performing routine maintainance shows if you have any trojans trying to connect or any executables running that are surplus to requirements.
Performing routine patching and updating to cover any exploits and vulnerabilities is also a good move.

NOT running as anything other than a basic USER account, any modern operating system should allow you to assign admin rights to an installer from a basic user account, this will prevent most things from automaticaly spidering into your system without your prior consent.

Monitoring filesizes for critical files should be second nature
I have a batch that compares my critical system file sizes and notifies me of any changes and reports the modification dates this takes a few seconds to run when i perform my weekly defrag and backup cycle, the only time these should ever change is when youve performed some kind of update and the changes will be listed in the release notes.

EFFECTIVE BACKUP STRTEGY, also far superior to any antivirus, if by some chance i do find myself infected through my own stupidity i just swap out my drive to one of my mirrors and im back up and running in a matter of minuites. Then its just a matter of overwriting the infected drive with a new mirror from a clean backup at the next cycle.

Reasoning
Ive ran various av programs in the past, (and still do on a testing rig for final builds and release candidates) a lot of which actualy interfered or otherwise hindered my work, especialy true if your debugging a project and you've got pointers to incorrect addresses/segfaults/memory leaks to pin down, a loop that writes out to a file can look like a virus (due to rapid growth of a file) but in actual fact is entirely harmless.
Procedures for capturing keypresses from a user send the majority of AV software into terminating the program and alerting users to something dodgy thats actualy completely benign.
I understand exactly how antivirus software works and know exactly what it does and more often than not its completely unproductive to my environment, especialy considering how little protection any actualy offers, The only use for AV software is to make sure any software gets past them without errors.
This drasticly cuts down on flames from hamfisted mouthbreathers convinced that that keymapper interface you spent a week working on is actualy some kind of keylogger, because after all why go in for corporate data when you can go after joe numpties msn conversations instead?

Tomi
9th September, 2009, 09:11 AM
Take a look at virus bulletin to see wich one is the best. I use Nod32 from several years and doesn't have any virus related problems.

OMEGABCDE
4th March, 2010, 10:12 AM
" Its far easier to simply AVOID getting infected in the first place

A decent firewall setup effectively prevents any unused ports from connecting so worms like those that where designed to run over the remote procedural call and their ilk are rendered useless.

Performing routine patching and updating to cover any exploits and vulnerabilities is also a good move. "

:wink:
I agree !!! i like KAV ....I use NOD32....and Spybot
how about Windows Defender..?

dreamR
4th March, 2010, 11:08 AM
KAV it slows down PC,but KIS is the best solution

:ciao:

patkins
12th March, 2010, 08:47 PM
Three Cheers For Avast. I had avast, on the trial basis, thanks to this thread. I received a prompt yesterday telling me that my trial period was running out soon. I investigated further on the prompt and Avast have given me another year free. Thanks Avast and Kebabzz.

jasbo7
12th March, 2010, 08:50 PM
Three Cheers For Avast. I had avast, on the trial basis, thanks to this thread. I received a prompt yesterday telling me that my trial period was running out soon. I investigated further on the prompt and Avast have given me another year free. Thanks Avast and Kebabzz.

we must have done at the same time m8...avast is good

moztas
12th March, 2010, 09:21 PM
I have been using nod32 (v2.7) for my home PC, never had a problem for 4 years. Updates daily. OS is Windows XP Pro.

In the office, I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2008 and I feel very safety. Even I can test all my colleague flash pens with my computer if there is a virus or not. Before KIS2008, I were using ESET v3.0... and my computer infected many times. I confirm Kaspersky slows PC down but only update times. OS is Windows XP Pro.

BR
moztas

Cockney Mackem
12th March, 2010, 11:54 PM
Best anti virus is mostly a subjective topic after a certain point (the dregs) - beyond that they all do the same basic job....after all you can have the best antivirus in the world fact, and yet the biggest security risk is something no anti virus can ever and never account for and that's the stupidity of the person in front of the computer (or lack therof).....so.....the topic of question really matters not after a certain point - you will be fine with avg, avast, comodo, kasperky etc etc....some might say stay away from Norton though.

Personally I use AVG whenever I bother with antiviruses....I think a more important question should be "which is the best firewall software to use?" and for that thus far I'd say Comodo Firewall....by the way I'm surprised nobody noticed this but this thread is in the wrong section as this is the pc games section.....

Oh one more tip.....and heed this warning if you value your data.....stay away from any software made by Symantec! So that's Norton Anti Virus, Partition Magic etc etc.....there's miles better and lesser known alternatives out there that do the job advertised properly - remember if it's Symantec it's Shit. Don't believe me ? Use Symantec products and see how long your PC lasts - then use alternative products and see the difference in how easy and stress free it is to do what you wanted to do in the first place.
Agree about Norton products, plus try getting it off your system it never goes away, been a headach for years the amount of times I have tried to get it off PC's. Ended up cleaning peoples pc's and doing a fresh install.
Have used AVG for years and never had an attack.

Fiji
15th March, 2010, 01:33 PM
I used Symantec too, and now added another free app to my computer-wondershare spyware removal because I got the free keycode on its website.
I think they are both Ok, my computer keeps running without attacks of virus...

Fiji
15th March, 2010, 01:36 PM
Nearly forgot this: free security software list:
1. Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus

2. Avast! Home Edition - Free Antivirus

3. AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition

4. Spyware Doctor

5. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

6. Microsoft Windows Defender

7. Comodo firewall

8. PC Tools Firewall Plus

9. Outpost firewall free

Street Hawk
18th March, 2010, 11:45 AM
Agrees, Eset Nod32 best Anti-virus / Anti-spyware software to use. its light on system resources in a big way. Mcafee is a nightmare to run, it drains the life out of your system, including Norton, which is the biggest pile of shite you can get! i used to use norton for years, even run the symantec on my system. i found that i had something like 11 virus's sitting quietly on my system & norton / symantec didnt even notice them!. it wasnt untill i switched to Eset it found them on my system. Norton aint worth the CD the data's written to! its pathetic.. (can u tell i have developed a hate for it? haha ).

Ive heard alot about AVG, and alot more with Avast.. not yet explored these guys, but may do in the furture, but to be honest i mainly look for min use in system resources in an anti-virus program and Nod32 does that for me!

suhasde
19th March, 2010, 04:02 AM
I've used AVG & Kaspersky. But was not satisfied.
Finally settled down with Norton Internet Security. It works as firewall & Antivirus both. Virus Protection & removal ability is also satisfactory.

brown1950
25th March, 2010, 08:40 PM
Have used all the free anti virus now use Microsoft Security Essentials. Great !

imaybe
15th April, 2010, 09:57 PM
free avg all the way.....AVG Antivirus and Security Software - Virus Protection | Home and Business (http://www.grisoft.com) does what it says on the tin....

jjdude
27th June, 2010, 05:31 AM
AVG is one of the best choices. Give it a try.

Deaf_Raiders
28th June, 2010, 12:58 PM
Bitdefender for me too. It has never let me down once! Does not slow the PC down too.

killersla
28th June, 2010, 08:10 PM
I have read through the posts and i cant believe no one has metioned maleware bytes anti male ware.

This program is free and is by far the best trojan/adware/spyware etc etc remover on the market and its free.

I use avast with maleware bytes, this is more than enough to remove any virus.

I recommend to anyone who hasnt got it to download the program and run a ful scan and i bet it picks stuff up.

have a look (http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=contentMain;contentAux)

and please post up if it finds anything:wink:

gmb45
28th June, 2010, 08:18 PM
I have read through the posts and i cant believe no one has metioned maleware bytes anti male ware.

This program is free and is by far the best trojan/adware/spyware etc etc remover on the market and its free.

I use avast with maleware bytes, this is more than enough to remove any virus.

I recommend to anyone who hasnt got it to download the program and run a ful scan and i bet it picks stuff up.

have a look (http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=contentMain;contentAux)

and please post up if it finds anything:wink:
i think the topic of conversation is resident ( meaning running in the background all the time ) anti-virus m8, everyone knows about malwarebytes which is a stand alone av ( meaning only runs when u start it ) as for it being good, yes its brill m8 :top:

killersla
28th June, 2010, 08:25 PM
yes it does only run when you start it lol. Talk of anti virus running in the back ground eg avg or avast, i know these are free but even norton or bullgaurd dont pick up on things that maleware bytes does.

So if you dont mind clicking a few buttons mabe once a week then it is definatly a must download.

I know people will say once a week is too long because you could get a virus that has already done damage well if the anti virus you paid for doesnt pick it up then you only have them to blame.

gmb45
28th June, 2010, 08:29 PM
yes it does only run when you start it lol. Talk of anti virus running in the back ground eg avg or avast, i know these are free but even norton or bullgaurd dont pick up on things that maleware bytes does.

So if you dont mind clicking a few buttons mabe once a week then it is definatly a must download.

I know people will say once a week is too long because you could get a virus that has already done damage well if the anti virus you paid for doesnt pick it up then you only have them to blame.
and dont forget to update it every time before use ;) all av pick up different things so its always best to have as many as poss. this 1 is good also---> http://download.cnet.com/A-squared-Free/3000-8022_4-10262215.html

Deaf_Raiders
29th June, 2010, 02:02 PM
Some Keygens use virus but most of them require to delete them, which I won't like to do.

janobi
5th July, 2010, 08:48 PM
I've used AVG & Kaspersky. But was not satisfied.
Finally settled down with Norton Internet Security. It works as firewall & Antivirus both. Virus Protection & removal ability is also satisfactory.

Suprised you were unsatisfied with Kaspersky, used it for several years, and by far the best AV around. Only stopped using because of the keys getting blacklisted all the time. Now using bitdefender which is ranked the first in antivirus league, closely followed by bitdefender.

bonus2010
7th July, 2010, 09:06 AM
Been using BullGuard with no major issues over the last two years.

Just thought I'd mention the software - seeing no one else has.

cerocool007
14th July, 2010, 05:40 AM
The best for me is ESET Samrt Security

Lewimel
14th July, 2010, 10:24 AM
i use bitdefender :)

Stillz
14th July, 2010, 09:54 PM
I use avast 3 years, no-frills, just works