PDA

View Full Version : fs400 stihl hedge trimmer

wulbert2001
27th November, 2012, 11:38 PM
hi i bought a second hand fs400 stihl hedge trimmer and the fella says it was going ok so went to buy it and the thing wouldnt go .got ?100 pound of price he was asking for took it home and changed the 2 stroke petrol started it up and it went but ...when i rev the thing up it goes then slows down as if lossing power the primer bulb seems to not push petrol through when im priming it, does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with power on it ,dont really want to spend 70 - 80 quid on a service .cheers

BigfatPaulie
27th November, 2012, 11:46 PM
9 times out of 10 it'll be a fuel pipe either split or gone brittle and letting in air... Failing that it may be a carburettor issue.... People like to twiddle the screws!

Sent using Tapatalk

Meat-Head
27th November, 2012, 11:48 PM
when i rev the thing up it goes then slows down as if lossing power the primer bulb seems to not push petrol through when im priming it, does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with power on it ,dont really want to spend 70 - 80 quid on a service .cheers

wulbert2001 (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/members/160078-wulbert2001/)
Downloads: 10

So you changed the gasoline and it started, that would sussest it might be gummed up.

if that was me - not wanting to spend any money on it, fill it with QUALITY shell, esso bp etc gasoline and QUALITY oil, change the candle, then run it/use it - see if it gets better.

Also check the air cleaner and the choke is going off.

remember the thanks botton.

wulbert2001
27th November, 2012, 11:59 PM
whats the candle lol.cheers

GastonJ
28th November, 2012, 12:28 AM
The spark plug at a guess.

Johnner
28th November, 2012, 01:17 AM
Might get more replies if you stuck it into Home and Garden Section ?

bandit boy
28th November, 2012, 03:20 PM
I have used one of the stihl hedge strimmers they are normally hard to start after being left over the winter period so always drain the carb then put fresh two stroke mix in check the plug is fine press the prime button a few times then spin it over with the switch off then turn it back on give it full choke then spin it over again always start first time

BigfatPaulie
28th November, 2012, 04:10 PM
Also helps immensely if you burn off the petrol /heat the sparkplug on a gas stove...

Sent using Tapatalk

wulbert2001
28th November, 2012, 05:31 PM
i bought a new plug and filter it just gives up after about 20 min have these a spark arrestor in them if so whereabouts.got

Meat-Head
28th November, 2012, 08:02 PM
gives up after about 20 min have these a spark arrestor in them if so whereabouts

Spark arrestor try here An Introduction to Spark Arrestors SPARK ARRESTERS AND THE PREVENTION OF WILDLAND FIRES (http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/html/03511304/03511304.htm)
So it it do run run, you do run run for 20 mins and dies, does it have a spark.

If you then keep giving the hand cord about the same amount of tugs whilst thinking of the *HOT*bird from the parts place is the candle wet?

wulbert2001
29th November, 2012, 06:30 PM
getting a good spark

Meat-Head
29th November, 2012, 08:43 PM
getting a good spark

well thats then down to one of thwo things then. :star:

stihl260
16th December, 2012, 12:13 AM
My money is the prime button having a pin hole in it, so its sucking air in.
Cost a few quid to fit a new one yourself, change the Air filter and Spark plug while your at iy.
Check the Fuel filter in the tank too. That could either be cleaned or changed for a new one.
As already said, prople like to twiddle screws and most of them dont know how to set upo a 2 stroke carb properly anyway.
Fortunately with years of tinkering i do!!!

skywash
12th January, 2013, 09:11 PM
thought this was the home and garden section johnner

Meat-Head
13th January, 2013, 02:34 PM
thought this was the home and garden section johnner

Chances are somebody more equal than u has moovef this thresd

I hate i pnone