PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Boosts Millions of Broadband Connections

Jasmeet_87
24th February, 2009, 12:47 PM
Virgin Media, the UK?s largest home broadband provider, today announced a major programme to move millions of its current 2Mb customers up to a superfast 10Mb service ? continuing its role as the pacesetter for high-speed broadband. Leveraging the recently increased capacity of its network, Virgin Media?s new fibre optic product portfolio now comprises ?up to 10Mb?, ?up to 20Mb? and the recently launched ultrafast ?up to 50Mb? service.

The 10Mb service puts superfast broadband into the hands of mainstream consumers, enabling them to enjoy an experience usually restricted to early-adopters. At just ?14 a month when taken with a Virgin Phone line, Virgin Media?s 10Mb service will provide customers with a service that could typically cost a total of over ?30 per month from competitive ADSL providers, yet offers more than double the throughput of comparable ?up to 8Mb? services setting a new standard for entry-level broadband in the UK.

The migration of customers from 2Mb to 10Mb is expected to take place from May and represents the largest-scale speed upgrade ever to take place in the UK. The migration programme forms part of a long term plan to ensure all Virgin Media customers have the speed they need to take advantage of the best the internet has to offer, and is just one initiative enabled by Virgin Media?s investment in its Next Generation Broadband platform.

The 10Mb service will allow more people in a household to use high bandwidth services, such as BBC iPlayer or online games at the same time, providing UK consumers with the only entry-level service truly fit for today?s connected home. The new baseline service also supports the Government?s Digital Britain policy agenda and reinforces Virgin Media's unique position as the catalyst for high speed broadband adoption.

Neil Berkett, chief executive of Virgin Media said: ?Our entry-level broadband product is now twice the speed of comparable services and, with our new 10-20-50 range, we clearly offer the highest quality broadband service in the UK. The migration of millions of 2Mb customers to 10Mb is only possible because of the power of our next generation network and is just one example of how we are creating exciting propositions for consumers which provide transformational experiences and go way beyond their expectations. Coupled with our recently launched 50Mb service, we are proactively developing the UK?s broadband market, driving consumer expectations and the demand for high speed broadband services.?

Virgin Media : Press Office : News Release (http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=NewsArticle&id=1259223)

caveman_nige
24th February, 2009, 01:03 PM
You see this narks me a bit, a week or so ago I was on the phone to them having a bit of a to do. To make me happy and stop complaining they boosted my 2mb to a 10mb which i though was nice of them, but i needed to sign a new 12 month contract. Now i see i was gonna get that anyway and I got conned into signing a new 12 month contract when i could have stuck to my rolling contract and be upgraded for free anyway in a month or so.

Slimey...