PDA

View Full Version : about to buy vu+

digital dan
2nd December, 2012, 06:18 PM
im about to bite the bullet and purchase a vu+..

question is which one, I was swaying towards a solo but don't like the idea of usb pvr so then thought I could just buy an uno and nick the HDD from my PC (that is getting thrown out the window anyway) but ?240ish just seems a lot for a single tuner to me?

I wont be recording much, maybe a few things a week as the mrs will use the humax for recording her junk

is there much difference or am I just being a tight git..

I have a portable western digital 500gb drive if that makes any difference

thanks for any advice in advance

digital dan
2nd December, 2012, 06:38 PM
this is also my first box that will eventually be the second once funds allow and I can brave a solo2 or duo2. so will pretty much just be for watching sport in the kitchen

cactikid
2nd December, 2012, 06:39 PM
i try to make sure any usb external is self powered and not just by the usb port.

kaisar1
2nd December, 2012, 06:45 PM
if you want a cheap 1tb harddrive, buy an old sky hd+ box, you can pick one up for ?25 or you may have lying around at home.

just remove the drive and insert into duo receiver. save you good ?30 plus the sky box will still work.

digital dan
2nd December, 2012, 06:49 PM
well I thought why buy the solo when I have then also got to buy an external drive(unless the portable is useable). I have an old PC that has a 3.5 500gb hdd and also 2 sky boxes 1 260gb(I think) and 1 1tb. could I use any of these?

cactikid
2nd December, 2012, 07:21 PM
get a caddy case to insert it,no room for a drive in the solo.

mdt
2nd December, 2012, 08:20 PM
if you dont mind a clone you can get a vu+uno for ?148 inc p+p,regards mdt

digicon
2nd December, 2012, 09:42 PM
Do not buy a solo you will regret it in the long run and also the Uno even with the twin tuner will still cost around ?300 so for me its a no brainer if you can hold out a couple of weeks and get a Solo2 twin tuner and will wipe the floor with the rest of the VU+ range.

digital dan
2nd December, 2012, 10:17 PM
want to steer away from a clone to be honest for the sake of that bit extra

cacitkid, how will the drive connect to the box in a caddy? usb?

digicon youre really putting this solo2 about aint ya lol
to be honest I can see myself going for that after xmas maybe, but I will still need 2 boxes anyway and one of those only needs to be single tuner so was just looking for one for now.

the uno does seem a bit steep for a single when this solo2 is looking to be around ?300 if ive read correctly.

this is all driving me nuts already and I aint even bought a box yet lol

cactikid
2nd December, 2012, 10:26 PM
not to sure about drives but as a guide something like this
3.5" SATA to USB Hard Drive Caddy HDD Case Enclosure Black UK | eBay (http://www.ebay.ie/itm/3-5-SATA-to-USB-Hard-Drive-Caddy-HDD-Case-Enclosure-Black-UK-/271084219972?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosure s_RL&hash=item3f1de0ee44)

i wont mention the new max digital 1000 lol

digicon
2nd December, 2012, 10:28 PM
want to steer away from a clone to be honest for the sake of that bit extra

cacitkid, how will the drive connect to the box in a caddy? usb?

digicon youre really putting this solo2 about aint ya lol
to be honest I can see myself going for that after xmas maybe, but I will still need 2 boxes anyway and one of those only needs to be single tuner so was just looking for one for now.

the uno does seem a bit steep for a single when this solo2 is looking to be around ?300 if ive read correctly.

this is all driving me nuts already and I aint even bought a box yet lol

LOL:proud: You would think i had shares in Vu+ but i dont LOL

To me its a no brainer the solo is released in what around 10 days hopefully i just dont see the point in anyone buying a Duo or an Uno now with a twin tuner for that extra few quid this box will blow both of them away.

digital dan
2nd December, 2012, 10:53 PM
yeah mate it makes sense. maybe ill just go for a technomate or something similar for now and to keep as a second box in the future

any recommendations?

digital dan
2nd December, 2012, 10:54 PM
not to sure about drives but as a guide something like this
3.5" SATA to USB Hard Drive Caddy HDD Case Enclosure Black UK | eBay (http://www.ebay.ie/itm/3-5-SATA-to-USB-Hard-Drive-Caddy-HDD-Case-Enclosure-Black-UK-/271084219972?pt=UK_Collectables_HardDriveEnclosure s_RL&hash=item3f1de0ee44)

i wont mention the new max digital 1000 lol

why not mention the max digital 1000? im gonna have to look it up now

digital dan
3rd December, 2012, 11:54 AM
Well after all that I just got a skybox to watch a bit of tele and record a couple of things til after Xmas and I think I'll go for the solo2. Lol

RuberDuck
3rd December, 2012, 03:39 PM
why not mention the max digital 1000? im gonna have to look it up now

because to most of these lot any receiver thats not running black hole should not go on sale. i would not worry though most of them seem to change their advice on a biweekly basis ( you'd think they were on some ones payroll ).

digital dan
3rd December, 2012, 05:08 PM
Lol yes vu+ buy the sound of it

I'm new to this so I'm open to anything, the only thing that is a deal breaker for me is the amount of online support(for now anyway)

digicon
3rd December, 2012, 06:41 PM
because to most of these lot any receiver thats not running black hole should not go on sale. i would not worry though most of them seem to change their advice on a biweekly basis ( you'd think they were on some ones payroll ).

HMMMMMM! but we know who's payroll your on if Vix or WOS dont get a mention something must be up.

RuberDuck
3rd December, 2012, 08:50 PM
HMMMMMM! but we know who's payroll your on if Vix or WOS dont get a mention something must be up.

i am on no ones payroll, nor do i advise users to buy shite clones then a couple of weeks later change face. but then again you and your cheerleaders can do what ever the hell you want.

digicon
3rd December, 2012, 11:37 PM
i am on no ones payroll, nor do i advise users to buy shite clones then a couple of weeks later change face. but then again you and your cheerleaders can do what ever the hell you want.

I used the term loosely as i i think we all know of your undying love and sworn allegiance to Vix and WOS, and just for the record in your original statement :

If you look back at another thread: http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f11/best-box-buy-now-top-budget-150-a-305386/#post1777268

OH! whats this are my eyes deceiving me yes thats correct i actually promoted an OpenPLI based none clone exclusively available from WOS satellite receiver.

So not only do i recommend other retailers such as Goldwafers,Red Apple Digital, Sat Secure as well as WOS and some German ones HM-Sat and even some PRC ones too.

If only the same could be said for yourself, OH! hold on yes you have on occasion mentioned some german online retailers. Lets keep that between ourselves we dont want a certain other forum to get wind of that now do we.

satsmo
3rd December, 2012, 11:49 PM
Quit with the handbags at dawn routine in here! We have a report button please use that instead of bickering.

Closing threads is never a good idea especially as the OP never intended for a thread like this and others to decline down this usual path.

Going forward future posts of this nature between any members will be deleted and infractions issued. We have rules and I could say trading is a "grey" area when giving opinions on who to use or not. However the staff here, me included always note what is said on most if not all threads of this type of topic.

As said please keep the threads on topic and we can look after the moderation of them.

Lyrrad
5th December, 2012, 03:48 AM
Does anyone know if the solo2 will take any 1tb or 2tb 2.5 inch drive. My limited knowledge on these size drives is that they are manufactured in 2 different thicknesses.

digital dan
7th December, 2012, 10:11 PM
Solo2 is just 2.5 I believe,

I think duo2 is 2.5 or 3.5

adw1991
11th December, 2012, 12:15 PM
Does anyone know if the solo2 will take any 1tb or 2tb 2.5 inch drive. My limited knowledge on these size drives is that they are manufactured in 2 different thicknesses.

Here is the info for the new boxes from the Vu+ site

Solo2 (http://www2.vuplus.com/products/solo2menu)

Duo2 (http://www2.vuplus.com/products/dou2manu)

crepsidro
21st December, 2012, 05:32 PM
Don't buy VU+... Biggest build up of emotions before purchase, and huge letdown after. It's buggy, korean, unstable, slow, remote feels cheap, fonts are meh and it's not able to output (even upscaled) 1080p picture AT ALL.
All images i tried look silly and it's slower than skybox f3.
Selling mine ASAP

pongo snodgrass
21st December, 2012, 05:46 PM
Don't buy VU+... Biggest build up of emotions before purchase, and huge letdown after. It's buggy, korean, unstable, slow, remote feels cheap, fonts are meh and it's not able to output (even upscaled) 1080p picture AT ALL.
All images i tried look silly and it's slower than skybox f3.
Selling mine ASAP
what a pile of poo....m8...have you got a clone ?....ive got original duo and solo, cracking boxes, massive support and plugins, twin tuners, the full works....you must have a clone..lol

crepsidro
21st December, 2012, 06:04 PM
Nope, got from official source an' all... Main thing is remote response compared to original sly box e.g. And inability to output 1080p renders it unusable as full hd media player.
Other things - customisable, yes, many plugins, yes. But i'm struggling with it. Tried many images, every one have something good but there's bugs in all of them. Some random reboots (with just flashed virgin image).
I guess it's a norm for open architecture system. Sorry for flamy parallel - but i'm used to iphone and deem android as monstrocity (although i'm forced to use one on my second phone). Definitely mostly in terms of same criteria - response, ui 'feel', 'lightness'.
So, as this is supposed to be a free forum, that's just my IMHO.
I like iphones and i like sly epg, but dislike android and disliked vu+.

Really, i had such a buildup to buying it. High hopes, but yet to realise. Perhaps i'll get it customised in time.

On the plus side i must note (i have vast exp with high class home cinema eqpmnt), that video circuits are impeccable and possibly better than sly's, ability to use array of external devices, highly customisable a/v output (essential to get best poss picture with say 120in projection system).
That's about it.

Again, IMHO. But i got device right here and i wasted about 10+ hrs already to get it feel right. At this point i'm resetting again to try another image lol.

pongo snodgrass
21st December, 2012, 07:02 PM
no hd sat reciever that i know output full 1080p..only bluray players..are capable of that, sky hd is 1080i.....vu+duo outputs in 1080i....too be honest if you are well into your hd stuff and are a techno geek then for us average joes, it is hardely noticable....lol, 1080p or 1080i i icant tell the difference...so is ypurs a genuine box...?....have you tried blackhole 1.7.9 or the latest vix...rock solid images....perhaps theres a problem with your sealion provider...as i have no issues with the quality of images , support and plugins with either image...

crepsidro
21st December, 2012, 07:07 PM
Yes, i know 1080i is native sat def. But i was under impression, that vu is more than just satbox. So, let's say i want to play back full hd 1080p mkv file on it. What happens?
I mean, it's a 280quid unit...

terayon00
21st December, 2012, 07:09 PM
Nope, got from official source an' all... Main thing is remote response compared to original sly box e.g. And inability to output 1080p renders it unusable as full hd media player.
Other things - customisable, yes, many plugins, yes. But i'm struggling with it. Tried many images, every one have something good but there's bugs in all of them. Some random reboots (with just flashed virgin image).
I guess it's a norm for open architecture system. Sorry for flamy parallel - but i'm used to iphone and deem android as monstrocity (although i'm forced to use one on my second phone). Definitely mostly in terms of same criteria - response, ui 'feel', 'lightness'.
So, as this is supposed to be a free forum, that's just my IMHO.
I like iphones and i like sly epg, but dislike android and disliked vu+.

Really, i had such a buildup to buying it. High hopes, but yet to realise. Perhaps i'll get it customised in time.

On the plus side i must note (i have vast exp with high class home cinema eqpmnt), that video circuits are impeccable and possibly better than sly's, ability to use array of external devices, highly customisable a/v output (essential to get best poss picture with say 120in projection system).
That's about it.

Again, IMHO. But i got device right here and i wasted about 10+ hrs already to get it feel right. At this point i'm resetting again to try another image lol.

Which box have you got? VU+ Duo, Solo, Solo2, Ultimo?
From what I hear from people VU rocks, not a single person (except you) has a bad word to say about it.

I am waiting for the Duo 2 to come out and may buy between that and the Solo 2

digicon
21st December, 2012, 07:13 PM
Yes, i know 1080i is native sat def. But i was under impression, that vu is more than just satbox. So, let's say i want to play back full hd 1080p mkv file on it. What happens?
I mean, it's a 280quid unit...

They do playback 1080p MKV files but as you well know being into all the A/V side that MKV is just a container its what is inside that matter's and if what's inside does not conform to what the VU+ can play it will not play it along with about a dozen other sat receivers i could mention.

Then again its a satellite receiver with the emphasis on satellite and what it does with this part it does exceptionally well, Thats probably why all my Sat receivers are used for what they where intended for and i built myself a High end 3D HTPC to take care of everything else. But i am sure you already know that.

crepsidro
21st December, 2012, 08:11 PM
HTPC is my nightmare.
Running microsoft or Lord forbid linux to play media? OMG, i'd better run now.
Sigma SOC only.

digicon
21st December, 2012, 08:38 PM
HTPC is my nightmare.
Running microsoft or Lord forbid linux to play media? OMG, i'd better run now.
Sigma SOC only.

HHHHMMMMM! but yet you would gladly buy a product that requires you to set it up on a computer before you can actually use it, each to there own i suppose. Sigma based media players yes still trailing behind everything else i have yet to see one play every format going maybe one day but not yet.

blueflash234
21st December, 2012, 08:46 PM
whats a htpc?

digicon
21st December, 2012, 09:31 PM
whats a htpc?

Home Theatre Personal Computer

crepsidro
21st December, 2012, 11:21 PM
Funnily enough, my 3yr old pcorn c200 reads 110% of material and it have video circuitry faaaar superior and cleaner than any gate's monster.. And i don't use pc at all. What a waste of time. Macs only here.

digicon
21st December, 2012, 11:29 PM
Funnily enough, my 3yr old pcorn c200 reads 110% of material and it have video circuitry faaaar superior and cleaner than any gate's monster.. And i don't use pc at all. What a waste of time. Macs only here.

110% i think you need to rethink that figure as it wont play 3D blu ray and neither does its bigger brother the 300, i will stick to my custom built as you put it gates monster that does play absolutely everything i have thrown at it.

I had a Sigma based device 10 years ago and they are still crap, even the Duo can play most stuff your 200 does.

crepsidro
22nd December, 2012, 12:09 AM
It does play frame-packed 3d bluray too.

digicon
22nd December, 2012, 12:18 AM
It does play frame-packed 3d bluray too.

Listen mate if you want to discuss your Syabas Sigma based popcorn hour then we have a section in the main forums,You could also head over to NMJ to find out what else your 200 wont play. Else this thread is going totally off topic from its original source which is about the VU Duo.

If you had wanted a Media Player/ Satellite receiver then you would have been better purchasing the Solo2 and waited for updates for the media centre side of things to expand as yet its new and still being software developed.

crepsidro
22nd December, 2012, 12:30 AM
Sorry and sorry. I just expressed my educated opinion on this VU+ UNO device.

crepsidro
23rd December, 2012, 03:47 PM
Verdict - after 3 days of complete linux misery i decided to sell it asap and get it out of my happy life.