PDA

View Full Version : TDI1 mark for tuned cars

mislav88
2nd December, 2012, 08:33 PM
Any of you guys heard about warranty voids of tuned cars? VAG dealers all got a letter that any tuned car will be recognised in a process of self diagnosis with VAS or ODIS and will be marked for future records, which includes breaking of all warranties and similar.

Meat-Head
2nd December, 2012, 08:36 PM
OFF TOPIC - BUT RELEVENT - ISH:-

Had a guy in with a Gulf - paint blistered, took it to Adolf at the dealer, he 'tested' the paint, to check it was genuine paint, then repaired it.

I would guess that like an airbag has a counter of resets and a service counter has a counter it counts how many times it's been reflashed.

mislav88
2nd December, 2012, 08:41 PM
hmm, that means its safe to go over BDM and boot mode, and to avoid OBD.
i also dont think that they read whole flash and compare it to original, has to do something with counter or maybe checksumms. but question is, who is ready to test it on his own car with warranty...

Meat-Head
2nd December, 2012, 08:58 PM
Well ok cann you not find a Gulf or something OUT of warranty.

Take a dump via BDA and a dump via OBD.

Then reflash vis BDAM take a dump

Then reflash via OBD

then reupload orginal file and then re read - see if orginal file has changed?

mbtun
2nd December, 2012, 09:27 PM
it's not the same for all cars, some counters can be set to zero by obd in edc16 for example, some don't have counter at all etc ... they can see you have chiptuning only if they really look for it and log the parameters.

mislav88
2nd December, 2012, 10:00 PM
one of my clients who is a mechanic in a VAG dealership came to me few days ago with request to upload original file so he can replace some parts in his car under warranty as he was affraid they will somehow see its tuned.

funny thing is that it was 2009 polo with nowdays almost pre historic EDC15

wiseman
3rd December, 2012, 01:11 PM
VAG Edc16u1 has flash counter and powergate gives you the option to reset it when writing back.