PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to flash?

boyofford
4th December, 2012, 10:14 PM
Hi just got clone dreambox 500s, and not sure where to start!

I appears to have Enigma of some sort on it(logged into web interface), and when looking through seems to mention astra 19.2 (satellite?).

I want to view some Fta channels on hotbird 13e, and I've got someone coming over on Saturday to look at fitting a satellite for this. But he wants to have a working box to check I presume, so if I plug this in and scan will it magically see the satelite? (doubt it).

Should I first flash the box to something else, and if so can I flash over lan (I have no null modem cable and no com port on computers to use anyhow). Was thinking of Openpli.
I did read somewhere it was possible to flash over lan, but now can't find it!

cheers all, just realised I don't really know what I'm doing, I feel a learning curve coming on.

EDIT: Re. flashing over ftp - as far as I can see I just Rename a downloaded image file to "root.cramfs",
ftp transfer a image to /var/tmp directory on dreambox,
press menu button,
select system settings,
update settings
and change to manual update.
then let it update..... am I missing something as this sounds too easy? why is null modem the preferred method?

boyofford
4th December, 2012, 11:49 PM
lol, just remembered that enigma is not a image but the type of box, don't have a clue what it has installed

boyofford
6th December, 2012, 01:01 AM
Well I flashed with openpli image from here OpenPLi - Open Source Set-Top Box Software (http://openpli.org/) using ftp instructions from here OpenPLi Wiki: Howto install the latest PLi? software image on your DM500 (http://openpli.org/wiki/DM500install)
And...... all appears to be well! :party:

Just need to figure out what else sat elite installer might need sorting before he comes and puts a big dish pointing at hotbird 13e! any thoughts? I should figure it out but any pointers would be much appreciated.

Didn't use image from sticky here as wasn't sure how easily it would be setup for non UK satellite TV, and pretty good manual on openpli website saves too many dumb questions from me.lol

boyofford
6th December, 2012, 01:09 AM
spoke too soon, just read may brick my dreambox! will put your image on and work from there for now!
This qoute swayed me back to your image!

Since it was developed on clone DM500S boxes, I'd say the answer to your question would be a resounding YES!!!

AL :)

boyofford
6th December, 2012, 03:35 AM
Not keen on image, cant find my way around, found old clone friendly Gemini image in downloads section, boring but if it works it'll do.

Installed and looks to be OK.

boyofford
3rd April, 2013, 02:22 AM
This thread makes me chuckle, steep learning curve the linux satellite boxes, now on solo2