PDA

View Full Version : snow socks

jordigirl
5th December, 2012, 06:33 PM
has anyone got or tried snow socks on there car? - are they any good ?

are they worth buying ??

just realised me car is bloody crap to drive in the snow :bawling:

Kalipo
5th December, 2012, 06:54 PM
has anyone got or tried snow socks on there car? - are they any good ?

are they worth buying ??

just realised me car is bloody crap to drive in the snow :bawling:

Before all the southern softies come on and say they've tried there snow socks in thick snow (1cm) and they worked fine ill just post..

Yeah.. theyre okay.. still dont get total traction.. but you will be able to move a hell of allot better :)..

Go buy and try :)

http://cdn.newsthump.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Keep-calm-cardinal-red-300x300.jpg

Snowy79
5th December, 2012, 07:53 PM
Only of use short term as they'll get ripped to shreds on clear patches of roads. Good to get you out of the cack but not much use over any distance.

daithi
5th December, 2012, 08:27 PM
lidl or aldi had the snow chains in recently might be a better option

cactikid
6th December, 2012, 12:12 AM
jordi in chains and leather and a whip ohhh mind boggles,why not get tyres rated m+s as they can be used on both,so will you do it or get misery guts to do it lol.

AutoSock: Snow Socks - Which? First Look Review - YouTube

Lexas
6th December, 2012, 12:53 AM
i dont trust any socks or chains. i prefer be safe on the road, and every winter i wear real winter tires with snow tread. my favorites is continentals, never let me down. and recomend to everyone use good tires, and you will be much safer and everyone around you too. It just my opinion based on experience.

CaptainCretin
6th December, 2012, 08:18 AM
I bought my autosocks to drive in the Alps during the skiing season in 2006, and havent had to replace them yet; unlike the woman in the above test vid, I have NEVER taken more than one attempt to fit them, and taking them off the CORRECT way is also easy.
The grip is FAR BETTER than S+W tyres, especially in icy conditions, and they do work on sheet ice as well as snow - try using chains in less than 4-6" of snow and you may run into trouble.

Be aware that if you have a rear wheel drive car you need TWO SETS, one for the driven wheels and one of the front (steering and braking) wheels.
I dont know if it is still true, but mine came with disposable plastic gloves, so you didnt get your hands dirty when fitting or removing them.

Each set fits a range of tyre sizes/widths - I have been lucky, my new car has larger wheels than my old one, but my socks still fit it.