PDA

View Full Version : Free Computing

carrownisky
25th February, 2009, 02:12 PM
Hi all

I am in the process of trying to move to a free (well as cheap as it comes) and easy to use computing set up.

Got a free 7 year old hand me up (from a son) desktop
put Ubuntu 8.1 on it - (no problems once i got a good burn of Ubuntu)

Using Google Docs and other free Google stuff as a WP/SS etc as Star Office seems a bit clumsy

Anyone else into a Linux/Google mix - or have any other free and easily useable software suggestions

caveman_nige
25th February, 2009, 02:15 PM
I use openoffice on my ubuntu install download: OpenOffice.org Download (http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US)

carrownisky
25th February, 2009, 02:23 PM
hi nige

thanks - tried openoffice as well but like google docs better have you tried it?

caveman_nige
25th February, 2009, 02:51 PM
Not yet, I will add it to my list of things to try when i get the crappy linux thing to work properly, Linux can be a right royal pain in the arse. I try all OSs on my kit but Linux is by far the most tedious, yet I am willy to stick with it as I see potential..

When I have some time to blow I will spend some more time on it...

EDIT: Google docs, just been top google to take a look and its an online thing or I have to create an account with them to get to it. What is it, looks to like crap so far.... as I have no wish to sign up to gmail (the spammers favourite) just to get soem online doc system, crap if your on the road..

ps2chiper
25th February, 2009, 02:57 PM
Not really that tedious with ubuntu. its alot easier to use then windows. with ubuntu you can use synaptic package manager and install thing automatically without hunting them down on the new.

For a 7 year old computer I recommend Xubuntu. It Uses XCFC instead of gnome. It will run alot faster on older and slower computers.

caveman_nige
25th February, 2009, 03:12 PM
to say its a lot easier to use than windows is utter rubbish... and thats a fact.. Microsoft haters have this opinion but it is not valid. Th Mac biys have been screaming it for years as well, boring.....

I have various installs of linux dotted around, but just tend to play with ubuntu and suse. But if i need to get something done i will use XP pro and Win2k3 anyday... That said I wouldn't mind getting one install of linux running to a reasonable standard, it will get there that I am sure off but the support ..

ps2chiper
25th February, 2009, 04:06 PM
Yea you get done with virus and spam.

caveman_nige
25th February, 2009, 04:31 PM
a very poor arguement, spam goes to email addresses no matter what client they are on and a virus is way more likely to attack windows than any other as it is the mainstream os. why bother going all out to attack linux, its not going to have the same effect is it.. Antivirus is recommended on any system whether it be Mac, windows, or Linux.

ps2chiper
25th February, 2009, 06:33 PM
Thats not true. Most internet servers use linux or a unix based system. and their have been plenty of people that tried to create virus to take down linux but most of them were never able to work because linux does have better security then windows.

caveman_nige
25th February, 2009, 06:56 PM
Agreed it does have better security on most levels and a 'virus' would have limited effect without root access but I know of worms that have deleted user data on linux as most home users will have root access. A binary run under the root account would be able to infect the entire system. Admittedly they are few and far between but they are not immune to the script kiddies and hardcore hackers. As the popularity of linux grows so will the amount of malware written specifically for it.

SecurityFocus's Scott Granneman stated,

“ ...some Linux machines definitely need anti-virus software. Samba or NFS servers, for instance, may store documents in undocumented, vulnerable Microsoft formats, such as Word and Excel, that contain and propagate viruses. Linux mail servers should run AV software in order to neutralize viruses before they show up in the mailboxes of Outlook and Outlook Express users."

Mjolinor
25th February, 2009, 11:56 PM
Mostly it's not about the immunity to attack it is about the time it takes to block the hole. A typical hole in Linux will be blocked in days at the most, more normally hours. The same cannot be said for any other operating system. The viruses will come as Linux gets more popular but for now it's pretty safe to say that you are secure using it.

OO is bloated but very capable. I use it for docs that have come from Windo$e but for more basic docs I use Abiword and for a spreadsheet I use Gnumeric. Neither are full blown "Word" replacements but both are fine for most things and they are fast.

"Better" is not a good comparison with an OS, "more suitable for your needs" is what cuts the cake. I doubt that there is a serious networking person in the world that doesn't use Linux, cost aside, even if both were free Windo$e cannot touch Linux in that area, that's why the WWW runs on Linux.