PDA

View Full Version : Cummins update manager

540IROC
9th December, 2012, 05:54 AM
I'm trying to install Insite onto a new windows 7 machine. I started with 7.3 then tried 7.5. I also went right to the cummins site and downloaded the latest version of update manager.

Every time I try to install the update manager, I get an error that is can't start the service. I haven't done anything different that I haven't done on previous computers. It says to make sure I have enough privileges to start a service. I have admin rights and even tried installing the program as "run as administrator". I even tried rebooting and that didn't help.

Suggestions to get the update manager installed and running?

r3gill
9th December, 2012, 06:43 AM
I'm trying to install Insite onto a new windows 7 machine. I started with 7.3 then tried 7.5. I also went right to the cummins site and downloaded the latest version of update manager.

Every time I try to install the update manager, I get an error that is can't start the service. I haven't done anything different that I haven't done on previous computers. It says to make sure I have enough privileges to start a service. I have admin rights and even tried installing the program as "run as administrator". I even tried rebooting and that didn't help.

Suggestions to get the update manager installed and running?

Depending on if you need insite update manager, you could just install insite only, update manager seems to de-activate insite keys every once in a while. But you might have a problem with installation files on insite installation disc. Also try deleting registry files from windows registry editor before you install insite. hope this helps :)

540IROC
9th December, 2012, 07:51 AM
Insite does seem to work fine. I use a Movimento datalink at work and a higher version than 7.3 doesn't like the Movimento. I do like getting the weekly updates but could just as easily use Insite without them. The update manager will delete the keys when updating from an early version to something like 7.5. Going from 7.5 to 7.6 is still good. That's what I noticed before finding out I had to downgrade back to 7.3 on a different laptop.

I'm not sure which registry entries would prevent the update service from starting. That's as far as the install gets. Tries to start the service then stops when the service fails to start. I thought it may have been a windows program causing it but I shut down all the protection stuff and the service still can't be started.

I went into the windows services and still couldn't manually start the service. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with being an administrator. The service just refuses to start.

I went back to the Cummins site and downloaded Update Manager 3.1.01004 and got the same results so it's not the install program.

Maybe I'll try a registry cleaner and wipe all remnants of Insite and try another install.

540IROC
9th December, 2012, 08:29 AM
Well I don't know what happened but it's working now. I uninstalled every Insite program. Deleted every Cummins directory then deleted every Cummins key from the registry.

I then reinstalled 7.3 and checked the services to see that the update manager was currently running. I ran it and it just finished updating the manager to 3.2.0.31.

Now I'll start up Insite and re-enter all the keys after the last of the updates are completed.

pbateman
10th December, 2012, 02:14 AM
ive been using insite from 7.3 and on up dating everytime.No issues here have had my laptop set to pro plus level and no issues. I do the microsoft net frame 4.0 can cause issues at times. A nice little program out that is free for sown load is called Advanced Care System 6.0 and do a great job of keeping you pc system running good. Plus it takes care of many other issues and also has a great program removal where windows will not always wipe everything in the registry and Advance care will do this. Just to be clear also I'm running windows 7 and make sure to keep up with the updates as well.

540IROC
10th December, 2012, 08:01 AM
7.6 has no problems using an Inline 5 datalink. Insite versions newer than 7.3 crash with a Movimento NavCOM/NavLINK adapter as soon as you try to communicate with the ECM. I only discovered the problem when our Inline 5 went down for repairs and I had to use a Movimento adapter. I kept downdrading Insite and at 7.3, it started working again. Nice to have a stack of CD's at work to try.

I've got my own personal Nexiq USB arriving this week. I'll probably upgrade back up to 7.6 again.

pbateman
11th December, 2012, 02:52 AM
Nexiq Usb the way to go works with so many different programs and very user friendly.