PDA

View Full Version : rpm file

caveman_nige
25th February, 2009, 06:35 PM
I have an rpm file that is for suse but i need to run it on a debian based distro. Has anybody got one to install and run successfully or is it not worth pursuing?

ps2chiper
25th February, 2009, 06:38 PM
You can use alien to convert a rpm to deb file. but you can tell us the program and we can find you a precompile deb file for you.

caveman_nige
25th February, 2009, 06:59 PM
the rpm file that i was thinking of using on an ubuntu install is in the url in the code box below..

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-65364

ps2chiper
25th February, 2009, 08:03 PM
Ubuntu can store network profiles for you if that is your goal. Here is a link

Idea #2813: "Network profiles" - Ubuntu brainstorm (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/2813/)

caveman_nige
25th February, 2009, 08:15 PM
am aware of that but i think the wifi adapter in my stinkpad is only happy when managed by its IBM supplied software. I am hoping that if i was able to use i might get a wifi connection on a T60P more than one time in 50 attempts...

Will look into this alien product you have mentioned, thanks.

ps2chiper
26th February, 2009, 09:04 AM
Can you tell me more about the wifi adapter in your labtop. If it is having problems connecting. I dont know if would have anything to do with storing network profiles? it might be if you are using ndiswrapper vs using native linux drivers.

caveman_nige
26th February, 2009, 11:07 AM
well i can see the essid of all the networks around, I can see the signal strengths also and as stated I can sometimes even connect if the wind is blowing in the right direction... The wifi card is 'Intel PRO/Wireless 2200bg, 2915abg, 3945bg, 3945abg, 4965ag, 4965agn Mini PCI adapter' and it works fine using Russix...

ps2chiper
26th February, 2009, 01:55 PM
but when you use ubuntu, does it give you a prompt to enable the restricted drivers?

grizzlyt
28th February, 2009, 04:36 PM
but when you use ubuntu, does it give you a prompt to enable the restricted drivers?

In Ubuntu you have a control panel to activate your NICs.

It's a graphical user interface for Ndiswrapper.

You can do it in the Terminal too if you want.

However not all Windows (especially USB ) driver are supported.

Check the Ndiswrapper site for supported models.

ps2chiper
28th February, 2009, 04:42 PM
But for some intel I think they have native linux drivers that are in the restricted driver manager.

grizzlyt
28th February, 2009, 04:51 PM
But for some intel I think they have native linux drivers that are in the restricted driver manager.

They have, you are right. It depends, you have some restricted driver for Broadcom Chipsets and AVM (fritzbox) Nics.

Generally the Intel (integrated or Mini PCI) are very well supported.