PDA

View Full Version : Gingerbread or Ice Creams

nibblitz
16th December, 2012, 01:25 AM
ok, Im a techie, but Ive never been turned on by the latest phones and as such Im a bit behind the rest of the world, but thought its about time I joined this Android mullarky and bought my first Smartphone...

So, ive ordered an Orange San Fran 2 (50 quid from Orange, bargain I think) Im gonna unlock it which Im confident I can do, Ive unlocked all my previous "Feature Phones" and there seems to be umpteen straight forward guides out there..

I dont really understand what this "Rooting" means though, I just assume its what you have to do.. But my main question is regarding the ROM... Do I stick with a Gingerbread based one, or do I use an ICS port? Why/How would I be better off with either Ginger or ICS...? Thanks..

rob3rto
16th December, 2012, 05:42 PM
Plenty guides/info & ROMS over on MoDaCo and CyanogenMod.

I have the older San Fran I and run CyanogenMod 7.2. Stripped out ROM leaves room for Apps.

nibblitz
16th December, 2012, 09:18 PM
I know, but I was actually asking which is more preferable, Gingerbread or ICS ... Which would be best suited to my phone, I dont wanna run the latest ROM on my phone just for the sake of it, especially if the latest rom actually impedes the phones usability...

Alxnks
16th December, 2012, 09:35 PM
and you can also check in xda developers for roms, tricks etc ;)

dasteph
16th December, 2012, 10:14 PM
i have the earlier version of the san francisco gen1 which is upgraded to gen2 and run a gingerbread rom which i find runs smoothly on the phone, did try ICS but the wifi did not work at the time i tried it may be the rom has been developed since but i will stick with gingerbread.

Canker_Canison
18th December, 2012, 03:29 PM
I would only go to ICS if you have a lot of system memory.

My S2 has gone from an average usage of 400MB to about 600MB when I changed from GB to ICS.

kaushal9274
18th January, 2013, 09:51 AM
ok, Im a techie, but Ive never been turned on by the latest phones and as such Im a bit behind the rest of the world, but thought its about time I joined this Android mullarky and bought my first Smartphone...

So, ive ordered an Orange San Fran 2 (50 quid from Orange, bargain I think) Im gonna unlock it which Im confident I can do, Ive unlocked all my previous "Feature Phones" and there seems to be umpteen straight forward guides out there..

I dont really understand what this "Rooting" means though, I just assume its what you have to do.. But my main question is regarding the ROM... Do I stick with a Gingerbread based one, or do I use an ICS port? Why/How would I be better off with either Ginger or ICS...? Thanks..

This is an Android OS form the google for the new generations Mobiles.