PDA

View Full Version : Diesel petrol or electric

ziggymd
16th December, 2012, 11:51 AM
Hi everyone
Can anyone remember a few moons back when the government said diesel was better than sliced bread and everyone should buy diesel because it was so cheap and was a by product of petrol so why is it now all of a sudden diesel is more expensive than petrol. I hope they aren't gonna pull the same con when it comes to electric

daithi
16th December, 2012, 12:17 PM
ya get twice the mileage from a diesel
and its your government making the diesel more expensive as its cheaper than petrol here in ireland

GastonJ
16th December, 2012, 12:35 PM
The trick, by any government, is to get enough people to switch, become reliant and then hike the price. Which is what they did.

super jumbe
16th December, 2012, 12:57 PM
Fuel is very very cheap on the market, we hear in UK fuel is expensive because of tax? :secruity: :secruity: :secruity:

GastonJ
16th December, 2012, 04:11 PM
Here you go

ABD - Fuel Tax Tables (http://www.abd.org.uk/taxtable.htm)

bandit boy
16th December, 2012, 04:47 PM
modern petrol engines are very good now ford have have a 1 litre focus out 125 bhp and 60 mpg

GastonJ
16th December, 2012, 05:35 PM
Perhaps if you drive it all day at 56mph and accelerate gently in all gears, and never put the brakes on you will get 60mpg. Very few cars live up to the claims of the makers.

Then again since the average US consumer doesn't care how much fuel they use (and still use 22% of the oil produced on the planet) then why should the rest of the world save fuel to let the US burn more for longer without a thought?

rds60h
17th December, 2012, 11:04 AM
GastonJ, the table doesn't go up high enough for the prices in my area !
Like you say, what a con.

Marshall117
19th December, 2012, 02:56 AM
Don't forget it was the last government who talked us into getting diesel cars as it was cheaper than petrol and better mpg and then proceeded to raise the price of diesel higher than petrol :-(
Also as commented on by daithi, diesel does seem to be cheaper than petrol most other places.
I just got back from Tenerife.
Petrol was 1.09 Euros/Ltr & diesel was about 1euro/ltr.
that's about ?0.88 & ?0.82.
Fuel prices at my local station here in deepest staffs are
?1.32/ltr petrol & ?1.41/ltr diesel
One of the many messes left by our last government.

rds60h
19th December, 2012, 01:25 PM
Don't forget it was the last government who talked us into getting diesel cars as it was cheaper than petrol and better mpg and then proceeded to raise the price of diesel higher than petrol :-(
Also as commented on by daithi, diesel does seem to be cheaper than petrol most other places.

It doesn't matter what government, they are all the same and screw the ordinary working man for every penny they can.

Marshall117
20th December, 2012, 03:07 AM
It doesn't matter what government, they are all the same and screw the ordinary working man for every penny they can.
Totally agree that they all screw u in the end, just tend to get a bit fed up about people going on about how bad the government is with this and that scheme, when half the time the scheme was put in place by the previous party.
Personally I wouldn't trust any of them to look after my sh*t, never mind a country.

Azzx
30th December, 2012, 01:24 PM
Country doesn't matter as was mentioned here.
Gathering budget cash through fuel taxes is the easiest way to get them.
Doesn't matter how much the price is, people still are going to fill up their cars.

GastonJ
30th December, 2012, 02:06 PM
That and prices are relative to how much the government think they can screw out of the motorist before people call it a day. Prices differ from country to country relative to income.

A quick look at history:

The 1908 Finance Act introduced a petrol duty in the UK, with the rate being set at 3d (?0.013) per UK gallon, bringing the price of a typical UK gallon to 1s 1?d - a Liberal government introduced fuel duty.

It was then abolished by the Finance Act 1919 after several years of steady petrol price rises and replaced by vehicle taxation, and the tax disc based on horsepower,[3] after which the cost of petrol was about 4s - Liberal and Conservative coalition.

In 1928, following market reductions in the cost of a UK gallon of fuel to about 1s 2?d (?2.7 as of 2012[2]), the Government introduced a tax of 4d (?0.017) per UK gallon[3] bringing the cost of a UK gallon of petrol to 1s 6?d - Conservatives

In the 1993 Budget during the Major ministry Norman Lamont introduced a 10p rise and also a 'Fuel Price Escalator' whereby the cost of fuel would be increased annually by 3 per cent above inflation in future years; the Petroleum revenue tax was reduced in the same budget and later abolished. Kenneth Clarke, the new chancellor, increased the escalator to 5p in November of that year. - Conservatives

The escalator was increased in 6p per year in 1997 by the Gordon Brown, chancellor for the new Blair ministry. The escalator was effectively cancelled by the Brown ministry follow severe disruption caused by the fuel tax protests in 2000. - Labour

So introduced by the Liberals and all governments have coined it ever since, although both the Liberals and Conservatives doe seem to try coin it in more often. At the end of the day all of them are trying to make the public pay as much as they can, without losing income or having to spend more on roads.

More cars on the road means more roads and more repairs - so more cost, with more income. Less cars on the road means less roads, less repairs, but less income.

So they will all try to balance it out where they get more than enough income on a ratio with the money they have to spend. Don't expect that to change. However they are inventing new ways to get money even when your car is off the road, for instance if you don't sorn your car and it's offroad you still have to insure it. So the balance must be getting close.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles

This will help although it only goes up to 2004

http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/reports/Petrol_Prices_1896_todate_gallons.pdf

johnboy1974
6th January, 2013, 05:03 PM

Oh yeah I forgot how cheap fuel was under the Tories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anfearr
28th February, 2013, 12:11 PM
What about LPG. In Ireland at the moment Petrol is averaging 162 - 164 euro cents a litre and Diesel 158, Lpg in the local place of which there is three and one by the office is 80cent a litre.

In one week with the millage I do and the fact I drive a Petrol Honda CRV I put ***8364;240 euro into the tank, I nearly cried on that last fill at ***8364;92, ***8364;1000 a month just to keep juice in the tank.

anfearr
28th February, 2013, 12:13 PM
Sorry above post went crazy, ***8364; is the euro symbol so its somewhat readable.

GastonJ
1st March, 2013, 08:18 PM
LPG gets less mpg because of its' low calorific value, end up probably 10% down on what you'd get from petrol. I suppose it depends on how many miles you expect to do, against the cost of having it fitted to the car. The price for conversion can be around ?2k, you'd have to save a hell of a lt on the price of fuel to make it pay for itself.

flashharry
4th March, 2013, 06:36 PM
The problem with Diesel and if you only do short journeys is the diesel particle filter. To clean it you need to run car for about 25 mins, continue driving, keeping engine speed above 2000 rpm.

Handy living near a motorway.

dracmeister
13th August, 2013, 11:46 PM
I own a petrol\lpg 4ltr it returns around 19 miles to the gallon on petrol and about 18 on gas but gas is only 68p a litre compared to petrol at ?1.36. Mrs drives a 1.9tdi estate and that returns around 40 miles to the gallon around town ?1.39 so there my real figures hope that helped.

The way I would look is what?s it going to be used for then you can narrow your search down as the two vehicles we have are used for different things so your choice really.

Never owned an electric but full electric cars need to be charged too quickly as range is rubbish and hybrids are advancing all the time so check or another member owns a hybrid or full electric car could answer your question.

As mentioned above in earlier comment the government will be the only winner through taxes they will start to add more taxes to which vehicles become more popular.

Meat-Head
16th August, 2013, 06:03 PM
great DPF for thoses unaware, as you give your diesel a boot full, it gives out big cloud of black smoke.
DPF saves it.

Great idea in pricipal, but in reality shite
1) risk of fire
2) USES fossil fuels to clean out
3) SMELL real bad

Hope the knob that desgined, hope theirs catches fire taking their house with it, bastards