PDA

View Full Version : RAW to FAT32

rjm41
17th December, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hi all
My USB flash drive is F??K?D.
It has now got the RAW file system.
I want to format it back to Fat32.
I've tried every way to do this, from within windows7 to in command prompt.
All to no avail, has anyone got a final
Solution or should I just bin it.
Thanks in advance.

gmb45
17th December, 2012, 04:40 PM
try this ---> Digital Kaos - Downloads - guiformat (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads/pc/9/guiformat-1495/)

TheCoder
17th December, 2012, 06:06 PM
You have to ask yourself why this happened !

If its because you did something you shouldn't then fine but if its because of a failure of the flash memory then re-formatting it could be pointless and costly (in terms of potentially losing more data).

Flash devices generally have a fairly limited life in that the more you write to a particular cell the more likely that cell is to fail and FAT isn't particularly forgiving if the errors occur within its file structure. One single bit error can result in total filesystem death !

touchtone
17th December, 2012, 06:17 PM
Hi Mate,
Have you tried a low level format,,
If not do a google for HDD low level format tool 4.25 free it has worked a few times for me.
Just be carefull when u use it to make sure u select the right drive as it will wipe beyond getting back everything on it and I mean everything thouroughly..When its finished unplug it and then put it back n and if all is well windows will say u need to format it 1st before u can use it select proceed and in the dropdown window it gives a full choice of fat or fat 32 ect.
Hope this helps mate