PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Solo2 newbie

Dannat
24th December, 2012, 02:50 PM
Hi,

I currently have a standard $ky+ HD box and standard dish, I am looking at the Vu+Solo2 but have a couple of questions -

1. Can you set series link as I currently can?

2. Once setup is the Vu+Solo2 as wife friendly as my HD box? ie could she click on a program on the EPG and set it to record from there?

3. What are the benefits of switching from HD box to a Vu box.

Sorry if these are newbie questions, but I have only been looking at alternatives for the HD box for a day so I am really just starting out.

The Skybox F3 has been mentioned to me by a friend, but it doesnt look like a suitable replacement for my current setup EPG doesnt look good and a single tuner is a no go.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Dan

terayon00
24th December, 2012, 03:48 PM
Hi Dan

Can I just give you my input. I am a newbie too, I have got a Dreambox 800HD Clone, until 6 months ago I had a HD box too.

The linux boxes take a bit of getting used to. The epg is difficult to get your head round when you first get it. There is a plugin called cooltv which gives you a good epg, but on the DM800 it is a bit slow to come up. I want to get a VU DUO 2 when it comes out which hopefully will speed up the epg.

I am only giving my opinion based on a DM800. My other advice would be to check a friend's out before you take the plung.

However now I am used to it I love it better than the HD box.

Hope that helps

dell_xps
24th December, 2012, 04:14 PM
Avoid the skybox F3 there ok if you want to just watch TV, pants for epg etc, get a Vu box, Vu Duo, Ultimo or the new Solo 2, if you install a Vix image it's very wife friendly, Solo 2 you would have to install BH image as Vix has not released an image for this as yet.
HTH
All other ? are yes by the way.

Dannat
25th December, 2012, 01:43 AM
Cheers guys.

Slight problem with the looking at a friends setup...I am generally the friend that gets this stuff first ;) hence my total lack of knowledge on the subject.

Would my current $ky card plug straight into a Solo 2 and open the channels I subscribe too? Also is there a cable that could split my feed off my dish so I can run the HD box and the Solo2 box until I am confident the wife and kids can operate it ok?

dell_xps
25th December, 2012, 04:02 AM
Yes your sky card will work in it, running a cam etc will open up your
paying channels, your sat dish's lnb should be a quad lnb, buy some cable
from eBay install that onto the 2 free feeds on the lnb, run that to the new solo,
see how the wife gets on using the Vu box.
Shotgun cable with connectors on EBay is cheap as chips, installing
It is easy enough, providing you can reach your sky dish safely.
HTH

digicon
25th December, 2012, 03:06 PM
Not too put a damper on things but if 'er indoors' is used to the Sly box and its EPG and series record etc... then replacing that with a Vu+ receiver and expecting the same level of ease then i am sorry but you are going to be sorely disappointed and so will the other half.

the Linux E2 recievers come close to replicating what a Sly box can do but as the old saying goes " Comes close but no Cigar ". Anyway off to unbox my solo2 and have a play feels like christmas LOL :-)

Dannat
26th December, 2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks Digicon.

In what way is the solo 2 not as good as the HD box?

Also if its not as good what are the main advantages that make you use one over the HD box?

The reason I started looking around at alternatives is my HD box is playing up and it looks like a replacement is on the cards - I didn't just want to buy a new HD box if I could find something more useful.

Also I've got an ATV2 running XBMC - which is great. Does anyone think we are likely to see XBMC on the Solo2?

blueflash234
26th December, 2012, 10:20 AM
i dont think its as easy as putting your card into the vu and away you go,you will have to read up about it

Dannat
26th December, 2012, 10:25 AM
Hi Blue,

Cheers for the reply, I know it's not that simple, I am more interested how they run once setup.

terayon00
26th December, 2012, 11:09 AM
Hi Dan

When I originally replied to this post I don't think I made it clear. What I was saying any linux box (Dreambox, Solo 2 etc) are very different to a sly HD box, but when you get used to them they are pretty good. Getting used to then is your first issue.