PDA

View Full Version : Vu duo / install 3.5" hdd

auestad
1st January, 2013, 11:32 AM
My unit has a 2.5" bracket. How to install 3.5 HDD?

cactikid
1st January, 2013, 12:51 PM
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f195/some-pics-vu-duo-installation-hard-drive-etc-203150/
welcome to digital kaos.

ramjet
1st January, 2013, 02:24 PM
a duo has a dual purpose bracket that takes a 2.5inch sata hdd using the holes or a 3.5 inch sata hdd using the outer half-holes instead (using the rubber washers)

digicon
1st January, 2013, 03:36 PM
a duo has a dual purpose bracket that takes a 2.5inch sata hdd using the holes or a 3.5 inch sata hdd using the outer half-holes instead (using the rubber washers)

Unless they changed the Brackets on later revision models the Duo only has mounting holes for a 3.5" HDD, where as the Uno and Ultimo have the Multi Bracket which takes both sizes

ramjet
1st January, 2013, 06:49 PM
they must have changed them then m8 as mine is dual purpose , but if the old ones took a 3.5 inch hdd then surely all you do is mark the bracket and drill it to take a 2.5 inch ssta hdd ?

obviously if its the other way round like in a new solo 2 or a dm800s then you cant fit the larger drive in the smaller space or on a smaller bracket. but I dont foresee any problems fitting a small hdd to a larger 3.5 inch bracket

I always thought the duo could take either size on its bracket but stand corrected if that isnt the case

thanks

digicon
1st January, 2013, 07:36 PM
@ramjet

Hi mate i can only go off the ones that i have had and helped with a few others installing drives and both the Original and Clone version had hole cut outs for a 3.5" although as you rightly put it there is nothing stopping you drilling the holes to fit a 2.5" although with size and weight a simple cable tie would hold it in place.

dell_xps
1st January, 2013, 07:49 PM
You can fit a 2.5" drive in a duo, only if you "joey" it though, :-)
HTH