PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Performance on VU+ Solo2

reloaded
5th January, 2013, 01:01 AM
Hi

I've just bought a solo2 and installed latest blackhole image,
after getting almost everything to work I realised the USB wifi stick does not work as well as it works on my dm800hd gemini image?

The performance is terrible, it cuts off most times and when streaming video online lags all the time...

I'm really disappointed that I spent ?300 on it hoping it will improve on the dm800hd clone, but I think i was wrong...

I've tried 3 different USB wifi sticks all get recognized straight away, but with terrible performance, I'm desperate for this to work as I cannot afford to go through the wired option.

any help would be much appreciated as always.

cactikid
5th January, 2013, 01:44 AM
on the other place i saw this issue with the dongles.

I've seen many reports of users having trouble with WIFI dongles. We're tried and tested the Tenda W150M with the Duo, Solo and ET-9000 and it works spot on. Can be ordered here **********

This is a WiFi Bridge NOT a USB WiFi Dongle. Its an alternative for anyone having trouble with USB WiFi Dongles.

handy to know at times.thanks ***

reloaded
5th January, 2013, 02:00 AM
Cheers for that Woz, by the way it took me an hour to download a Blackhole skin through the wifi connection!

appalling!

cactikid
5th January, 2013, 02:09 AM
bloody link dont work lol,i saw this on their site.
VU+ WIFI N 300MBPS USB DONGLE FOR DUO SOLO UNO ULTIMO
they have their own dongle now.

satsmo
5th January, 2013, 02:10 AM
And we have our own forum.

cactikid
5th January, 2013, 02:20 AM
sorry satsmo,i just meant they have their own brand of vu dongles as maybe the usual ones cannot cope.

pongo snodgrass
5th January, 2013, 04:42 AM
use homeplugs...much better, i use the tp link 200Mbps ones, rock solid connection

reloaded
7th January, 2013, 02:45 PM
Pongo, i have a 3 floor house, how would i know if my power runs through 1 main ring or 3 defferent ones?

or else I would have would bought this as first choice!

they wont work if its 3 different rings right? Arent the 3 rings supposed to be connected?

freck
7th January, 2013, 08:35 PM
Test out your rings....plug a few lamps in on the socket your homeplugs are gonna be.
Hit the switch on your mains circuits and if both lamps go off then theyre on the same loop...if one stays on then go for the tenda option.simples
Freck

cunny
7th January, 2013, 08:44 PM
Just curious as to why you can't run a cat5 cable to it?
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

dell_xps
7th January, 2013, 08:52 PM
I have the Vu dongle got it with my Ultimo, ?30 to buy, also have comtrend home plugs, I would suggest you go with the home plugs m8, rock solid on HD channels, whereas the Vu dongle tends to lag/break up on HD content.
You'll get the comtrend plugs on Ebay, should get a new pair for ?30 to ?40, these ones you can plug a socket into them so you still have a socket to use :-)
HTH

PS As Cunny suggest you can't beat using an ethernet cable, rock solid connection and it's cheap as chips for the cable.

reloaded
9th January, 2013, 01:27 AM
Hi Everyone,

After trying a few USB wifi sticks I decided to give up and go for the Power-line Ethernet option, and I must say the improvement is head
and shoulders above any wireless connection, I even went for the official VU+ stick, and that was terrible too.

I cannot recommend the power-line option high enough, it has saved me many headaches and the connection is superb!

for those wondering what brand I went for, it was the Netgear 200mbps Nano kit, as I was desperate I grabbed it from Currys
just to see if it works, ended up paying ?39.99.

Thanks to everyone who posted to help.