PDA

View Full Version : xhd is no longer registering on my laptop

mysticwater
6th January, 2013, 11:29 PM
hey all, newbie here looking for help
i consider myself oretty tech-savy even though technology seems to hates me, but i know lots of you are much better than i am at this so, here goes;

my xhd is no longer registering on my laptop.
i went to go watch something, but it froze up and made weird noise. i unplugged xhd, and restarted laptop and i havent been able to get it to connect since

i uninstalled usb drivers and checked the device manager to assign proper disk name; it it asked me to initialize disk, but i cant even do that (not that i want to, i want my files!), i get invalid action error anyway, since i tried as a last resort.

nothing seems to work. i have no idea why it suddenly stopped working when it was working mere hours ago. the only thing i can think of is when it got knocked over earlier today while I was cleaning the room. but the xhd didnt even fall, just fell on its side (mind you it was plugged in at the time).

its not making any noise now, but when i plug it into usb port the laptop makes a noise of recognition to being plugged in to port, but doesnt show up at all under available hard disk drives or removable storage. and when i try to access its partions thru a trial recovery program it reads as empty.

i am so confused. any ideas would be appreciated! i dont want to lose stuff AGAIN >< (just lost my laptop hard disk last weekend, beyond repair or recovery of any kind)

im running windows 7

lagerland
7th January, 2013, 08:10 AM
You can take it out the caddy and connect it through either an ide or sata lead depending on type.Then see if it shows in my pc as d,e,f,g dont no how many drives you have if it does show you,you can then save it all and looks like your be getting another xhd and welcome to the best forum in the world DIGITAL-KAOS...............