PDA

View Full Version : EX5000 No or Bad Signal

0161david
1st March, 2009, 05:21 PM
Please Help,
Had a Eurovox 5000 PVR for around 6 weeks now and for the last week have had the Bad or No signal error on all channels. Have reflashed, retuned, manually input keys and also changed the cable with no luck.

I'm new to this so could there be anything i'm doing wrong? Any help or pointers would be gratefully received.:stupido3::questionmark:

wasi786
1st March, 2009, 06:35 PM
hi im having the same problem, tried reimaging, scanning and restored to factory settings still no luck

only few channels work other channels pixalating and recieving same error

0161david
1st March, 2009, 08:47 PM
Glad to know i'm not the only one!

I'm using VM in south manchester if this is a location based problem

shrekderek
1st March, 2009, 09:20 PM
Try plugging your cable feed straight into your TV you should get the basic 5 channels, if not you are having a problem with your cable into the property

n1ck1ee
1st March, 2009, 09:23 PM
west yorkshire / leeds bradford appear to be ok lads if your boxes went off over the last few days you will need to keep an eye on here for the next updates for your area the OLD ones wont work dont worry they will be onto it as i type there hot on here hope this helps you guys :wink:

or if you dont have any subscription to your property they could have disconected your house from the street box

robbie 6
3rd March, 2009, 09:02 AM
I'm in Glasgow area and my Sky 1 has gone Sky sports 2 and a lot of the sky channels are unwatchable. Is this happening all over or is it my eurovox max v. all other channels are fine only seems to be affecting sky channels movies and sports

wasi786
3rd March, 2009, 09:32 AM
some channels are working the rest are not im down south east - bedfordshire area

the 5 basic channels are not being picked by the box

norbert
3rd March, 2009, 11:28 AM
Are you sure the flash has taken m8, if you can you see power scan the box has taken the flash, if you can see deep scan it has not.

robbie 6
3rd March, 2009, 02:15 PM
Are you saying this box needs flashed again or will I just have to wait this one out. Would power scan help me here does anyone know

0161david
3rd March, 2009, 02:56 PM
The feed coming into the house is still active.
No of channels varies with each re-scan and after the latest rescan, the box alternates between a few seconds of picture, then goes blocky, then get the bad or no signal msg (occasionally spot an updating codes msg too).
Spotted a few other threads mentioning the possibility that VM are updating the keys on a daily basis - any of the experts know if this is true?
Could anyone confirm if this is just a matter of waiting for new codes to become available or if i'm doing something drastically wrong?
Thanks,

norbert
3rd March, 2009, 05:46 PM
Sounds like you need HiTech...

I suppose you have read this link below.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f71/how-manually-update-keys-eurovox-12861/

you can get the keymaster at the bottom of the screen in the above link m8, for the latest keys.

wasi786
3rd March, 2009, 06:31 PM
hi have reflashd the box, rescanned power scanned even done a deep scan - picks up a few channels but still saying same error
the channels start to show and then get blocky and pixalated
this is not only happening to me but a few other ppl i know

also have checked the latest keys - my box is showing the same as keymaster v1.2

robbie 6
3rd March, 2009, 10:19 PM
I've had the same problems guys, but power scanned my box 3 times before it worked seems to be a lot better now but lost sky 1 and sky sports 2

anil018
3rd March, 2009, 11:39 PM
I've been having the same problems for about 2 weeks now and have lost sky sports 1,2,3 and my movie channels are of bad quality. Don't really know what to do bec I've rescanned and re-flashed loads of times without the splitter and no joy at all.....

wasi786
4th March, 2009, 09:17 AM
would road works affect the loss of signal, nearby they are doing road, has anybody else got road works happening nearby

although it is not affecting the cc box

0161david
4th March, 2009, 12:48 PM
Hi robbie6 ..... how long ago did you have the problem? Trying to work out if repeated power scan's would help us ????

satsmo
4th March, 2009, 01:00 PM
There are too many people in this thread reporting similar problems. As you are the OP I will try to answer your query first.

Do you also have a subbed VM box and is that working?

philipg1955
4th March, 2009, 01:44 PM
try a signal booster

davie48
4th March, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hi Guys
i had the very same problem channels breaking up lost
channels also. Crazy as it sounds i fixed it by adding an attenuator ended up with 15db now every channel working great.

satsmo
4th March, 2009, 02:04 PM
So thats a signal booster to increase the signal and an attenuator to decrease the signal. Better off with a booster with variable slope control as it will do both jobs.

All problems are usually different so finding out the problem is first thing :) As said the OP started the thread so its only fair he is sorted or at least try and sort him first.

0161david
4th March, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hi Satsmo, I plugged the old VM box in at the weekend ... no problems with that or my internet connection, only the Eurovox. I have the cable feed from the wall, about 6 meters of cable then a splitter. 1 feed to my modem/router the other to the Eurovox.

satsmo
4th March, 2009, 03:51 PM
If you try it without splitting the cable, i.e. take the direct feed from wall to box, what is like then?

0161david
4th March, 2009, 04:34 PM
Tried that the other night, still had the problem.

satsmo
4th March, 2009, 04:38 PM
Have you tried it at a friend's or family's house and see if it has the same problem there?

0161david
4th March, 2009, 05:07 PM
No, Could arrange to take it round to a friends nxt week as unfortunately working away this weekend ! Unless you have any other ideas/suggestions I could try tonight?

satsmo
4th March, 2009, 05:18 PM
Other than as said earlier a booster,attenautor or variable attenuator, but I was trying to see if it was in fact a cable problem in the first place.

If your VM box is working then its not a major cable problem, but the tuner and driver in the Eurovox are quite different to the subbed box.

But looking back at your first post you say you reflashed and rescanned. Did you do a factory reset and then rescan?

0161david
4th March, 2009, 05:31 PM
Think I did, but to be certain could retry tonight...
Just to confirm, its a reflash, connect back up and then factory reset. Then would you recommend any particular type of scan ?

satsmo
4th March, 2009, 05:33 PM
Powerscan to start with and if still having trouble a deep scan. The important bit is doing a factory reset before the scan. If you are on the latest firmware, a reflash will be the last course of action.

0161david
4th March, 2009, 05:38 PM
Cheers, I'll retry tonight and post back. Thanks for your help.

wasi786
4th March, 2009, 06:33 PM
i'll give that ago aswell, can you recommend any particular booster or amplifier as i dont want to get the wrong one

is the booster supposed to be one that you use within the home or outside can you plase point us to the right direction

thanks

satsmo
4th March, 2009, 06:47 PM
A Konig booster is about the best, but I have found the SLX booster range in Argos to do almost as good a job. They have variable gain also so you can fine tune them.

But to be honest if you signal is too strong a booster will only make it worse and then you will need an attenuator. Before going down this route check all your cabling and connectors are sound, as that could be your problem. Or you may have an external fault at either your external omni box or at the cab, you have been moved down in it.

wasi786
4th March, 2009, 06:54 PM
hi satsmo

i have checked and reseatted all the cables done the ususal power and deep scasn, factory restore, reflash and rescan nothing has worked

when i check the signal strengths it is between 78-80%
sometimes it will drop below 20% for a sec and then go back to 80%

i have tried connecting it directly - still nothing

i will try getting the konig as you say - but wud it be suffiicient for this signal strength or wud i have to buy an attenuator aswel

satsmo
4th March, 2009, 06:56 PM
I have just read back on your posts. You said there were road works has it been like that since they started? Also same query applies to you, do you have a VM box and is that OK?

wasi786
4th March, 2009, 07:00 PM
vm box works ok - road works been happening for a week - im not 100% if this is affecting it but i think it may have - there a few other people i know who are having the same issue who live nearby - but wud like to try everything before i conclude the roadworks is the cause

what do u think

satsmo
4th March, 2009, 07:03 PM
If other people are affected in the same area then its not just an issue on your cable. I wouldnt bother with a booster just yet, try the factory reset and rescan and see how that pans out first.

wasi786
4th March, 2009, 07:05 PM
ok will do thanks for the advice

wasi786
4th March, 2009, 09:11 PM
hi satsmo

i have done a factory restore, done a full scan - still doesnt work
did a deep scan still doesnt work -

i get a signal strength of 80% the channels are all coming up as TVChann1,TVChann2,TVChann3 etc

a scan is not solving my issue - will try the konig signal booster - do u think i will also need an attenuator

by the way the konig signal booster do i connect this outside the house

thanks for the advise

satsmo
4th March, 2009, 11:13 PM
It could be the work going on in your area. But it does look like a weakened signal. As said the Argos booster is cheaper and should do the trick, if it doesn't work you can take it back, but for ?9 a worthwhile purchase Buy 1 Way Plug-In Aerial Booster. at Argos.co.uk (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5344235.htm)

You put this between your incoming feed and the Eurovox.

0161david
5th March, 2009, 09:06 AM
Morning,

Connected the cable feed directly to the Eurovox, Factory Reset and Powerscan. Found 200+ channels but get a second or two of picture then it freezes, then no or bad signal message pops up. Happening on both free and scrambled channels with the signal strength alternating between 83 and 88%

satsmo
5th March, 2009, 11:17 AM
Try it without the isolator, you will find it in your outside box. But I would advise replacing it after you have tried it. If it improves let me know.

If it hasnt improved use a variable attenuator, (going by your signal reading), you will get one here Variable Aerial Attenuator > Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo=223051&doy=search&C=SO&U=Strat15) and even cheaper online. You can tweak your signal quality/level manually.

wasi786
7th March, 2009, 03:44 PM
hi satsmo

increasing the signal with the booster has not helped but when i used 12db attenuator (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=965) i get quite a few channels back and bbc1, itv1 work, here and there then start pixalating before this wasnt working at all - just kept getting the error message no or bad signal

what do you suggest

wasi786
8th March, 2009, 12:29 AM
hi satsmo

i have purchased the attenuator you recommended this has improved the signal quite abit - can now view itv slightly by adjusting the variable switch

but have to adjust the attenuator from channel range - is there another product like the one suggested that will automatically adjust.

thanks in advance

wasi786
8th March, 2009, 12:20 PM
i have read on other forums and sites that the reason we are having the siganl loss problem is that V***** has been rolling out and has increased their signal strength for their new broadband which is affecting a number of units and people have been solving them by reducing signal strength -

i would like to know if there is an automatic attenuator that will auto adjust or if there is a product that will reduce the signal from the outside need it drop down to 70-80%

satsmo
8th March, 2009, 04:19 PM
If it drops below 75% you will have problems. The variable attenuator allow 20Db variation which should be enough. Have you tried the other attenuator in line with it?

Could you go into your frequency list and post what it says for signal level/quality on all TPs, a mean average with do.

wasi786
8th March, 2009, 05:47 PM
will do

thanks for replying back

wasi786
8th March, 2009, 07:43 PM
Hi Satsmo

Please see the list below - this is me using a 3db and the variable attenuator - i think i need atleast somewhere from 1-8, if i use 9 then i get too much loss

using a 6db attenuator i can get a number of channels and then lose others - if i use the attenuator - cant adjust it fuly - starts to degrade further as i am not sure how much signal i lose with the attenuator

On each frequency it bounces from 5 - 85%

Frequency Quality

219.000 80-85%
339.000 80-84%
363.000 81
379.000 80
387.000 83
395.000 83
407.000 29
411.000 83
419.000 82
427.000 86
435.000 84
443.000 84
451.000 81
459.000 82
467.000 83
475.000 78
491.000 77
499.000 74
507.000 76
523.000 79
539.000 79
555.000 78
571.000 79
643.000 79
667.000 80
675.000 80
683.000 78
691.000 78
699.000 79
715.000 74
723.000 75
731.000 75
739.000 74
747.000 75
755.000 75

satsmo
8th March, 2009, 07:50 PM
Are these readings taken from the direct feed or are you using a splitter?

wasi786
8th March, 2009, 07:57 PM
4 way splitter on the outside

satsmo
8th March, 2009, 07:59 PM
More than likely your problem. Try the scan from the direct feed, take the four way splitter out of the equation,for the initial scan. See how it works out then.

wasi786
8th March, 2009, 08:00 PM
ok will upload the new list as soon as

wasi786
9th March, 2009, 09:59 AM
i was going through the channels yesterday and found out that i can see all channels with frequencies above 687.000 and the signal strength is around 75-78% and everything below 687.000 still cant view anything properly for any frquency under 687.000 - as the signal strength is ranging from 84%-90%

still cant get the basic channels working

satsmo
9th March, 2009, 10:55 AM
If the reading were taken from the direct feed, it could be a faulty isolator in your outside box, (Omni Box). You could take it out and try again, but I recommend getting it replaced if you find it to be faulty, do not leave it disconnected . For a new scan carry out a factory reset and then deepscan.

Failing that and you are sure your cabling is OK, then ask VM to take a look at your cabling, from the cab into your home. Obviously taking your Eurovox and put it away before they arrive.

After the visit try it again, if the problem is still there then it looks like a tuner fault. If the box is still in warranty, (which I presume it is), send it back for a replacement.

wasi786
9th March, 2009, 07:10 PM
hi

i have gone to one of my neighbours house and his box - eurovox max is doing the exact same, i advised him of the attenuator from your recommendation and he has got a number of channels back with fine tuning the attenuator but he is also not gettng any channels below 680.000mhz to work fully - still pixalates or gets the error message

although there is another neighbour who has the eurovox blue and is working fine

DW190
9th March, 2009, 07:47 PM
I used to have channels missing and others pixelating.

manually changed all the frequencies to end in 750 instead of 000. Also had to enter some frequencies manually as they were notpicked up on a scan.

wasi786
9th March, 2009, 08:42 PM
hi dw190

can you tell me how you did that

thanks

DW190
9th March, 2009, 11:40 PM
hi dw190

can you tell me how you did that

thanks

Menu
Installation
User Instalation
Scroll to freq
OK to tick freq
Green Button (Chan edit)
Blue Button (Modify)
Scroll to Frequency
Manually change the numbers
OK to save
Exit
Exit
Exit

bigsven
10th March, 2009, 03:08 PM
I'm literally crying out for someone to give an answer to this...

Its driving me mental having freeview through my subbed box when there is all this football on the sultana/sly sports coming up...

Please can someone just stumble across the solution and let us know...

I really appreciate all the effort that people put into trying to help too - I have tried everything other than disconnecting upstair's feed to go direct into my eurovox...

Not sure they'd be too happy to see me scaling the walls with a eurovox in my teeth and cables in my hands - it'd be like Dr Emit Brown in Back to the Future...1.21 jigawatts - for gods sakes Marty that kind of electricity can only be generated by a bolt of lightening!!

wasi786
10th March, 2009, 06:19 PM
hi dw190

tried that no change, thanks for the advice though

satsmo
10th March, 2009, 09:19 PM
hi

i have gone to one of my neighbours house and his box - eurovox max is doing the exact same, i advised him of the attenuator from your recommendation and he has got a number of channels back with fine tuning the attenuator but he is also not gettng any channels below 680.000mhz to work fully - still pixalates or gets the error message

although there is another neighbour who has the eurovox blue and is working fine

Interesting as I have seen something like that before where only Blues work in a certain area. This is because the Blue box even though an older model has a much more superior tuner.

Usually in these areas a booster works with other models, however this doesn't seem to be the case as you have tried one. Was it the Argos one as I advised and did you try the slope control on it?

Do you know of others in the area with other box types, e.g. Starview, Kryptview, Dbox. Dreambox etc as these usually remain unaffected.

bigsven
11th March, 2009, 03:29 PM
Just tried my eurovox 5000 at my mates house and it works absolutely fine...

How annoying...

How do you get VM to come round without telling them your 'dodgy' box doesn't work!?

HiTeck
11th March, 2009, 05:52 PM
Just tried my eurovox 5000 at my mates house and it works absolutely fine...

How annoying...

How do you get VM to come round without telling them your 'dodgy' box doesn't work!?

Are you subscribed to VM? does your subbed VM receiver work ok ?.

bigsven
11th March, 2009, 06:32 PM

Yes subscribed and yes, works fine...also broadband works fine too...

HiTeck
11th March, 2009, 06:47 PM
Call them and say your signal drops off at night intermittently (obviously take out the EV) they will send someone out to boost your signal probably move your position in the cabinet and check your conection. I did the same when my satanta wouldn't work and it's been fine ever since.

wasi786
11th March, 2009, 08:29 PM
Interesting as I have seen something like that before where only Blues work in a certain area. This is because the Blue box even though an older model has a much more superior tuner.

Usually in these areas a booster works with other models, however this doesn't seem to be the case as you have tried one. Was it the Argos one as I advised and did you try the slope control on it?

Do you know of others in the area with other box types, e.g. Starview, Kryptview, Dbox. Dreambox etc as these usually remain unaffected.

yeh it was the one you advised from argos and the attenuator aswell from maplin -
i have a friend who has the starview box who lives a few miles from me and he had the same problem where some channels worked and others said no signal or began pixalating
another friend has the box and doesnt seem to be affected and he lives down the street from my other friend

bigsven
5th May, 2009, 11:27 AM

Hi guys,

VM came round, but couldn't find any fault (unspurprising considering the VM box works absolutely fine)...

The engineer didn't really fancy doing anything to be honest - and couldn't really push too hard, when there is no obvious fault to my service...

He checked the signal and said it was spot on...

My eurovox is more or less redundant now - I try to wheel it out everytime there is a footy match on sky, but it just winds me up with the chirping etc.

I used an attenuator before which seemed to temporarily work on some of the channels but typically not the decent channels (sports etc).

Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem as its doing my head in.

batman44
6th May, 2009, 08:40 AM
Its seemed like only I had this problem but obviously many more have it, it all started at Xmas last year it does not clear the problem but it will ease it. V****n media are changing servers to accomodated the integration of other cable suppliers and align them all on their network for the implementation of IPTV. This is affecting the signal and it does not happen all the time only when they decide to change the frequencies and servers, it can be fine during the day and start at night and visa versa. This is the conclusion that I have come to after suffering this for months, it either that or somebody is being paid to flick switches to put off people with sensitive boxes like us, its a cheaper option than nag3, if they annoy you that much you may start paying full wack. Their boxes will work OK as they have had a software update to cope. The way I cured this is connect a 12db attennuator and a 20db variable attenuator together and drop the signal on the affected channel down to 73%, it won't lose the signal until 69% if you have problems then raise the signal strength, it works for me and there is nothing we can do until they decide to finish what they are doing or give up. Changing software and codes will not work either, trust me I have been having this for months! and I have done everything in the book and:manusign: some.

satsmo
6th May, 2009, 05:59 PM
Hi guys,

VM came round, but couldn't find any fault (unspurprising considering the VM box works absolutely fine)...

The engineer didn't really fancy doing anything to be honest - and couldn't really push too hard, when there is no obvious fault to my service...

He checked the signal and said it was spot on...

My eurovox is more or less redundant now - I try to wheel it out everytime there is a footy match on sky, but it just winds me up with the chirping etc.

I used an attenuator before which seemed to temporarily work on some of the channels but typically not the decent channels (sports etc).

Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem as its doing my head in.

Please post your signal level/quality on affected channels, press info button twice to get this info.

bigsven
7th May, 2009, 10:54 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses - much appreciated and good to see there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.

batman44 are you saying to use two attenuators 'inline'?

Also - with regards to signal levels/strength - without the one attenuator I use the signal strength is around 80/81%.

Without it connected it is virtually unwatchable.

If I connect it up and wind the strength down to around 71% it seems to settle slightly.

Its worse on Sports and Movies (I'm at work at the minute so can't post exact channels/levels).

Satsmo - would it be better for me to post signal levels/quality with or without the attenuator?

Thanks again guys - your time and effort is very much appreciated...

batman44
7th May, 2009, 03:29 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses - much appreciated and good to see there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.

batman44 are you saying to use two attenuators 'inline'?

Also - with regards to signal levels/strength - without the one attenuator I use the signal strength is around 80/81%.

Without it connected it is virtually unwatchable.

If I connect it up and wind the strength down to around 71% it seems to settle slightly.

Its worse on Sports and Movies (I'm at work at the minute so can't post exact channels/levels).

Satsmo - would it be better for me to post signal levels/quality with or without the attenuator?

Thanks again guys - your time and effort is very much appreciated...
I have both inline, and I use the variable to turn the signal up or down depending on the channel to get the best picture.

wasi786
14th May, 2009, 07:23 PM
Its seemed like only I had this problem but obviously many more have it, it all started at Xmas last year it does not clear the problem but it will ease it. V****n media are changing servers to accomodated the integration of other cable suppliers and align them all on their network for the implementation of IPTV. This is affecting the signal and it does not happen all the time only when they decide to change the frequencies and servers, it can be fine during the day and start at night and visa versa. This is the conclusion that I have come to after suffering this for months, it either that or somebody is being paid to flick switches to put off people with sensitive boxes like us, its a cheaper option than nag3, if they annoy you that much you may start paying full wack. Their boxes will work OK as they have had a software update to cope. The way I cured this is connect a 12db attennuator and a 20db variable attenuator together and drop the signal on the affected channel down to 73%, it won't lose the signal until 69% if you have problems then raise the signal strength, it works for me and there is nothing we can do until they decide to finish what they are doing or give up. Changing software and codes will not work either, trust me I have been having this for months! and I have done everything in the book and:manusign: some.

hi my box and line has come back
everyone can now view their channels - the signal seems back to normal
its taken months but looks like its working again - would just say to everyone else just wait

Batman is right it looks like someone is flicking the switches and increasing and decreasing the signal -

just hold on i wud say

sany2kscotland
14th May, 2009, 11:06 PM
hi all, i am new to this forum, i have just bought EUROVOX EX5000 PVR and i have virgin media for my TV and broadband, i tried to follow the steps from the guide, tried to rescann as well but its just coming with NO OR BAD SIGNAL. any idea what i can do to sort this out??

bigsven
15th May, 2009, 10:36 AM
hi my box and line has come back
everyone can now view their channels - the signal seems back to normal
its taken months but looks like its working again - would just say to everyone else just wait

Batman is right it looks like someone is flicking the switches and increasing and decreasing the signal -

just hold on i wud say

Wasi - did you have the same problems then - but now they are back to normal - with no attenuators/boosters etc? Is that what you are saying? If so, then I am going to try my eurovox immediately tonight...

It was soooo close to being binned/sold...

wasi786
15th May, 2009, 05:38 PM
hi bigsven

yeh just came back no attenuators or signal boosters
the signal corrected itself

wouldnt throw away your box just wait for the signal to fix itself

i did start using an attenuator for a few months - but was only able to view a number of channels - but all i can now say is woohoo its working normally like before

just wait it out thats what i did

bigsven
30th August, 2009, 10:37 PM
I hope this helps as many people as possible.

With regards to the jumpy signal quality/strength and the 'no or bad signal' message - I was just about ready to give up, but I had one last go at sorting it out.

The solution came from an unlikely source.

I unscrewed the cable feed from the f connector/coax adapter and then pulled it right out. Instead of putting it back in fully and screwing it in - I just pushed the cable just into the adaptor, but didn't screw the thread at all - just holding itself in.

This somehow created a consistent signal quality/strength and I can watch all channels with no pixelation and no error messages - its like welcoming back an old friend.

Just in time for the new season.

Be interested to know if this does help anyone?!

(ps I did replace the adaptor months ago and the new one didn't seem to work, so no sure whether to buy another new one and give that a go - but more than happy with it currently, so don't want to risk ruining it!)