PDA

View Full Version : New user looking to buy a VU+ Ultimo / VU+ DUO

Easty
8th January, 2013, 02:09 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at buying my first satellite system and have been looking at the below.

Either a;

VU+ DUO - VU+ Duo + 80cm Motorised Mesh Dish Package Deal (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Complete-satellite-system-package-deals/VU-Plus-satellite-system-package-deals/VU-Plus-Duo-80cm-motorised-mesh-satellite-dish-package-deal)

VU+ Ultimo - VU+ Ultimo + 80cm Motorised Mesh Dish Package Deal (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Complete-satellite-system-package-deals/VU-Plus-satellite-system-package-deals/VU-Plus-Ultimo-80cm-motorised-mesh-satellite-dish-package-deal)

80cm Motorised Dish, and from what I've read believe I need to be running;
Vix / Blackhole with CCCAM

I only really want to be able to record 1/2 channels whilst watching another but don't know the real benefits between the two receivers.

I have a bit of technical knowledge in regards to networking etc as im an IT Engineer but all this is new to me so any pointers will be helpful.

I've also seen the Utimo can be accessed via its IP in a web browser that's a bit more up my street.

dell_xps
8th January, 2013, 02:35 PM
If its btw the duo and ultimo, go for the ultimo, upgrade the lnb to a quad one, then get the new double tuner so you have 4 tuners, you can now record 4 channels at once, and more if they use the same transponder.
Both boxes can stream to computers, internal ip addresses and now external ip addresses.
If you have the cash, Ultimo is the one you are after.
If you just want to record 2 channels, have a look at the new Solo 2, nice bit of kit and can do all of the above also.
HTH

Easty
8th January, 2013, 03:02 PM
Hi Dell_XPS

Thanks for your prompt reply.

What is the big difference between them all is it just the tuners?

Am I right in thinking they all run the same "looking" epg?

Any recommendations on best place to buy from or has stock as World Of Satellite are out of stock?

dell_xps
8th January, 2013, 06:11 PM
They all run the same epg dependant on what image you use, as a novice I would suggest you use a Vix image, I prefer the epg on there images, BH you can use coolmans epg, but to be honest the Vix epg has the edge, the Ultimo has a fancy VFD display, google that, it's a wee bit faster than the duo, but the new solo 2 beats both them on quickness by a mile.
The solo 2 only has 2 tuners as does the duo, the ultimo can have 4 tuners, it all depends on how much you want to spend m8, if you want to be able to record progs, stream to different computers etc then buy the ultimo with the extra double tuner.
So if you watch one prog on your main TV, you can stream 3 different progs to computers/ipads etc etc, I'm sure for best results your network would have to be hard wired, as using wireless with streaming HD is a bit hit n miss.
I'm sure you can watch an HD channel and stream 3 SD channels no problem, or watch 2 HD channels and 2 SD channels if hard wired ?, just a guess as I only have 3 tuners in my Ultimo, def can stream 2 HD channels and watch one SD channel.
WOS usually have them in stock, Ultimo that is, maybe waiting on Solos 2's, there are other sites to buy from, Im sure Digicon will be along to let you know of a few other sites who are reputable.
Avoid anything thats a clone m8, more hassle than they are worth TBH.
Any questions just ask Im sure the guys on here will only be to happy to answer them for ya !!

Easty
8th January, 2013, 06:34 PM
Staying away from clones for definite!

Ill get it preloaded with VIX then in that case and just add cccam once it gets to me.

In regards to network I only need to stream when the missus wants to watch something on the TV and football needs to be on either on the desktop or laptop both will be on LAN cat5 / home plugs when in use.

I'm steering more to the Solo only because I very rarely record anything and if I do it will only be recording one whilst watching another.

I was just dubious on why there is a difference in models and price.

dell_xps
8th January, 2013, 06:39 PM
Solo 2, cant go wrong with it m8, and it's in stock, I'd advise installing a HD in it also, you can do this yourself, it's monkey proof, the Vix team have made this even easier to get up and running, if you get it pre flashed, all you will have to do is add yer cam, config file, auto bouquet maker is built into the image, epg you download via plugin.
HTH

PS And picons you can download via plugins also, set everything to update, thats you :-)

Easty
8th January, 2013, 06:58 PM
Nice one buddy!

Will be back in touch once I got the dish installed and the box turned on.

I'm sure ill get stuck somewhere though!

Have a 500GB 2.5" drive here waiting :)

Thanks Again!