PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Timeshift Functionability - Vu+ Solo2

Lyrrad
12th January, 2013, 05:41 AM
Hi

I am pretty much up and running with solo2 and Vix.

One thing that stands out as quite poor is the permanent timeshift facility.

I am expecting that once this is turned on that after 5 mins (user setting) I should be able to rewind and playback what has just been watched.

I'm unsure exactly how this is meant to work. To my mind after 6 minutes there should be 1 minute of recording to playback. However I'm not getting any playback at all. It seems I can go back perhaps 2 seconds in slow motion and that's it.

I formatted 2 USB sticks on my PC, then tried them both at different times plugged into the Vu+ solo2. On each occasion I initialised the USB stick from the solo2 and I believe that this has been done correctly each time as I seem to have created a recognizable drive for permanent time-shift (I think it's ext3 format).

Quite frustrating really because Vix seem great to me, but the Time-shift function is really poorly implemented, and pretty much not working for me.

Even when I want to pause live tv ( which I suppose is what I'll want to be doing most of the time), the experience in no better, in fact slightly worse, than Openbox s9.

If I was watching a football match I certainly could not rewind to watch the goal again, something which is effortless on official sky box.

Whilst I do know that sky's UI is pretty solid, and Linux boxes can get close, and even better official boxes for user experience, I just find the time-shift feature of the Vix/Vu+ solo2 very poor.

Am I doing something wrong?

Is this a Solo2 problem rather than a Vix issue?

I have read somewhere that to pause time-shift and then rewind does not work, however even with just pressing rewind I cannot get anything useful to happen.

Do I need a certain type of USB stick, would I get better results with a dedicated powered external hard drive? Is it better to utilise my shortly to be delivered internal HDD.

I write this here, because I can't believe my experience is how it should be otherwise I would easily be able to find similar posts to this one on this forum.

Sorry for long post, but I hope that it should enable others to properly help me.

EDIT:

As I was typing this posting, I didn't realise I had timeshift on pause. So I was able to fast forward the easily using remote. However when I tried to rewind (after fast forwarding), I was not able to.

This is rubbish

dell_xps
12th January, 2013, 08:24 AM
Use an internal HDD !!

DOUGALMCD
12th January, 2013, 01:28 PM
Also remember to mount the usb or hdd and set the correct path for recording and epg .

Lyrrad
12th January, 2013, 02:19 PM
Use an internal HDD !!

That's what I'm going to try now

Lyrrad
12th January, 2013, 02:19 PM
Also remember to mount the usb or hdd and set the correct path for recording and epg .

Yeah I've done that already. In fact without that error messages are given which is not what I'm experiencing.

eddiq
22nd January, 2013, 08:20 PM
yes i am having a same problem as well.

dell_xps
23rd January, 2013, 06:45 PM
There is a problem with timeshift, read the info supplied with the image peeps !

RuberDuck
25th January, 2013, 08:24 AM
There is a problem with timeshift, read the info supplied with the image peeps !

LMAO dont be daft, people reading release info, never gona happen lol.