Freesat launches today

Category: BBC; New Media
Date: 06.05.2008
Printable version

This is a press pack from Freesat, a joint venture between the BBC and ITV

Introduction

Free digital television and HD for everyone – no subscription, no contract

BBC HD available now and ITV HD to launch exclusively on Freesat

Freesat, the new, free, digital satellite television service launches today, Tuesday 6 May 2008. Freesat is a joint venture between the BBC and ITV.

Reaching almost all of the UK (98% of households), Freesat has over 80 free digital channels – television, radio, interactive – plus high definition (HD) services from the BBC and ITV.

Freesat has no subscription and no contract; all that is required to receive it is a one-off payment for equipment.

Freesat's channel line-up will grow each month, with up to 200 channels on air by the end of the year.

Emma Scott, Managing Director, Freesat, said: "Today is a landmark day for digital TV in the UK – the launch of a new digital satellite service which brings free HD programmes to everyone.

"With more than 9.6 million HD-ready televisions already sold in the UK, but only a tiny fraction of those who own them currently able to receive HD programmes, there's a big opportunity for Freesat to lead the way in introducing the UK to high definition viewing."

Freesat's initial channel line-up includes some of the most popular digital TV channels: BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three and BBC Four; ITV1, ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4; Channel 4, E4, More4 and Film4; news channels BBC News and Al-Jazeera English; children's channels CBBC, CBeebies and CiTV; music channels Chartshow TV and The Vault; interactivity from BBCi; digital radio; and the superlative picture quality of BBC HD and ITV HD.

Freesat will carry the BBC HD channel from day one, with ITV HD launching exclusively on Freesat soon afterwards.

Michael Grade, Executive Chairman, ITV plc, said: "The launch of Freesat is the final piece in the digital jigsaw and will ensure that all viewers in the UK have access to free-to-air digital and high definition television.

"We will launch our HD service with an unrivalled line-up of premium football including the FA Cup, England internationals and UEFA Champions League from next season.

"Now everyone in the UK can experience the benefits of digital television: more choice of channels, interactivity and the extraordinary picture quality of HD."

Mark Thompson, Director-General, BBC, said: "With the launch of Freesat, all the BBC's digital channels, including BBC HD, will now be available to all licence fee payers wherever they live and however they choose to access them.

"This means they will have yet another way to watch a fantastic range of BBC output, from landmark dramas and world-class documentaries to national events and live sport."

Freesat equipment

Freesat will have three different types of receiver: a standard definition box, an HD box and an HD integrated digital TV with Freesat built-in (IDTV).

Boxes are made by Goodmans, Bush, Grundig (the Alba Group) and Humax. The IDTV is made by Panasonic and will be available in June.

Box prices will start from ?49, with a high definition box available from ?120, plus installation costs from around ?80. (Installation includes the satellite dish).

Later this summer Alba and Humax digital television recorders will also be available so viewers can record, pause, rewind and fast forward their favourite TV programmes.

Freesat has its own seven-day on-screen electronic programme guide (EPG) and a channel guide so that viewers can easily find the programmes they want.

Where to get Freesat equipment and installation

Freesat is available in shops and online from major high street outlets Argos, Comet, Currys and John Lewis, plus some independent retailers.

Retailers sell equipment and can also arrange installation by approved installers.

Freesat consumer support

The Freesat website, at www.freesat.co.uk (http://www.freesat.co.uk), has full information about the new service and how to get it.

There is also a Freesat call centre on 08450 990 990.

westkill
17th May, 2008, 06:12 PM
Category: BBC; New Media
Date: 06.05.2008
Printable version

From today, viewers have a new way of getting BBC HD – the BBC's high definition channel – as it launches on Freesat, the new subscription-free satellite service.

BBC HD showcases some of the best of the BBC's drama, entertainment, sport, performance and factual programmes from across all other BBC channels.

The channel broadcasts for four hours a day on weekdays and six hours a night on weekends, with flexibility to extend hours during key live events.

Seetha Kumar, Head of BBC HD, says: "Today marks an exciting and significant development for BBC HD. Freesat offers viewers a new way of watching the BBC's HD output, complementing the existing services on Sky and Virgin Media.

"2008 represents our most ambitious year yet with the channel being extended throughout the summer to cover the Beijing Olympics, Euro 2008 finals, Wimbledon, Glastonbury and the BBC Proms, so we're really pleased that viewers have even more choice to watch these events in fantastic high definition."

Other upcoming programmes on the channel include Wild China, Who Do You Think You Are?, Strictly Come Dancing, Torchwood, Heroes, Little Dorrit, and the BAFTA-winning Gavin And Stacey.

The Freesat announcement comes as the BBC confirmed it will extend BBC HD's hours to five hours daily in September and eventually to nine hours, as the number of programmes made in HD increases.

The BBC has already announced an aspiration towards moving as many programmes as possible to HD over the next decade, having already doubled the total number of hours of HD programming from 583 in 2006 to more than 1,000 in 2008/9.

Notes to Editors

BBC HD can be found at the following EPGs –
Sky: 143
Virgin: 108
Freesat: 108.

More information, including how to get BBC HD and schedules for the channel, can be found at bbc.co.uk/bbchd.

westkill
17th May, 2008, 06:20 PM
HOW WILL FREESAT WORK?

Sky Digital EPG
Sky's programme guide is familiar to millions
Freesat will enable people to access all BBC and ITV digital TV channels plus interactive and radio services via a satellite dish.

It will follow in the footsteps of Freeview, the free-to-air digital terrestrial service that currently reaches more than five million homes.

Freeview was launched in October 2002 as a replacement for ITV Digital.

It allows viewers to access more than 50 channels by purchasing a set-top box for a one-off fee of around ?50, which will work with a regular terrestrial viewers.

WHO WOULD SIGN UP FOR FREESAT?

Approximately a quarter of TV viewers live outside the Freeview coverage area.

Signing up for Freesat will ensure viewers have access to digital services when the government begins to switch off analogue TV signals.

Freesat will initially carry all ITV and BBC free-to-view digital services, in addition to dozens of other free-to-air channels.

WHAT ABOUT VIEWERS WHO ALREADY HAVE A SATELLITE DISH?

ITV currently encrypts, or scrambles, its transmissions via satellite, using the service provided by Sky.

In the next few months, ITV will begin to broadcast its channels "in the clear" - without encryption - so they can be watched through any satellite receiver. The BBC started doing this in 2003.

Viewers will require a Freesat box in order to obtain the services.

It is hoped the system will be compatible with existing satellite dishes.

HOW DOES THE BBC AND ITV'S FREESAT COMPARE WITH FREESAT FROM SKY?

Freesat from Sky offers 140 channels for a one-off fee of ?150.

Viewers get a digital set-top box, satellite dish with free installation and a remote control in the deal.

It is not yet known how many channels will be available via Freesat, or how much it will cost to get Freesat equipment installed.

However, it will allow the BBC and ITV to supply their services directly to consumers without the broadcasters having to pay Sky to encrypt their programmes.

If Freesat - which is a working title for the service - takes off, the likes of Channel 4 and Five may well be tempted to join, which could mean more channels join Freesat's line-up.

westkill
17th May, 2008, 06:50 PM
UPDATED: Shoppers pushed to take Freesat install

Friday, May 16 2008, 15:46 BST

By Dave West, Media Correspondent

Updated: May 17 2008, 11:21 BST
Shoppers pushed to take Freesat install

Customers at high street stores are incorrectly being told they can only buy Freesat equipment if they also pay for an arranged installation.

Receivers are meant to be available on a standalone basis, allowing millions of people who already have a satellite dish to take home a set-top box, connect it and watch Freesat.

However, several Digital Spy forum members have reported that staff, mainly at branches of Currys, refusing to sell unless they pay extra for an engineer to install it.

Because the TV channels carried on Freesat's electronic programme guide originate from the same satellites that most consumer satellite dishes - including those fitted to receive Sky - already point to, Freesat services can be received by nearly all dishes in the UK simply by connecting a new set top box.

Some forum members have had to argue with staff before they are eventually sold a standalone box, while others have been told that dishes fitted for Sky will not work with Freesat.

Currys charges ?79.99 for an installation including satellite equipment or ?69.99 for an "assist installation" where an engineer will "check (the customer's) existing dish and cabling, install the Freesat box, configure the settings and give the customer a demonstration".

"I was not allowed to buy a Freesat box without installation in the Currys shop in Victoria last week," said London-based DS forum member ChrisD66. "The assistant manager was willing to do it as he understood it would work with my existing Sky dish, but he was overruled by the manager."

Incorrect information being given in stores will add to confusion among customers over the range of products available, and the difference between Freesat and non-subscription terrestrial service Freeview.

Another forum member, Bill6299, said: "I've been told at Currys that I have to have them install the Humax receiver. Also, another Currys here in West London told me that the only way that I could have HD would be to buy one of their Freeview TVs, where the BBC transmit five HD channels. So I went to Comet and bought one there and it is fine."

No HD channels are carried on Freeview and, though there are plans for four in the future, they will not be viewable on any equipment currently in shops.

Markynotts, from Nottingham, said: "The Currys salesman tried to tell me that only an authorised Sky engineer could install the Freesat box and that I was not allowed to touch the connection between my Sky box and the satellite dish at all.

"I replied by saying that Sky have nothing to do with the BBC's Freesat service and that I didn't need a dish, just the receiver. But he still refused to sell me the box."

A spokesman for DSG, which owns Currys and Currys.digital as well as other outlets, said it was not store policy to encourage installations.

"Customers looking to purchase Freesat boxes, which are available from Currys and Currys.digital stores, can do so without any installation services attached whatsoever," he said.

westkill
17th May, 2008, 08:35 PM
TV HD: Coming Soon

HD is coming to ITV... and it?s going to revolutionise the way we watch television.

With an incredibly sharp picture, rich, saturated colours and more detail then ever before, it?s the closest you?ll get to the action ? without being there.

ITV HD will be a red-button service available exclusively to freesat customers, so whenever you?re watching ITV1 and an HD logo pops up at the top of your screen, just press the red button on your remote control to watch it in glorious high definition.

And it?s not just the picture that will benefit ? many shows will be broadcast in stunning surround sound. But how can you get ITV HD? Is having an HD-ready TV enough? And where does freesat fit in? All these questions, and more, are answered by ITV

fishy123
17th May, 2008, 10:48 PM
thanks westkill very informative. looking into getting freesat so thanks for the info.

westkill
19th May, 2008, 08:18 AM
The BBC/ITV service will provide a high definition "guaranteed non-subscription" digital satellite service.

The BBC/ITV service will provide a high definition guaranteed non-subscription digital satellite service.
Main article: All about Freesat - ukfree.tv - launch update - Freesat Launch: brilliant for everyone - ukfree.tv

We've been reporting about BBC Freesat since early 2006

The BBC's service, which is now set to launch in spring 2008, will provide a "guaranteed non-subscription" digital satellite service.

The boxes will provide a HDTV satellite version of the popular Freeview service, with a number of BBC, ITV channels in high definition plus all the existing services that the current Freesat service provides.

The BBC and ITV Freesat service will also provide an alternate (but compatible) electronic programme guide (EPG), and will provide interactive services.

Currently both Channel 4 and five have agreements with Sky which require their channels (with the exception of Film4) to require the use of a "Freesat From Sky" card. This means that you currently need to purchase a card from Sky Subscriber Services Ltd for ?20 to watch Channel 4, five, Five US, Five Life and Sky Three.

Whilst this card is included as part of the ?150 cost of Freesat From Sky, Sky have in the past invalidated the existing cards and demanded payment for a new one from Freesat users. Last time Sky did this the telephone number that was provided told customers that the must subscribe and mislead callers telling them no replacement cards were available!

The BBC/ITV service will have several potential uses:

1. a box-swap replacement to upgrade an existing Freesat from Sky or Sky subscription box for a box with HDTV services;
2. a box-swap replacement for a Sky+ box for a HDTV satellite personal video recorder;
3. a multi-room installation with an existing dish fitted with a quad-LNB;
4. connection to a Windows Vista Media Centre or Windows Home Server;

Mark Thompson (BBC Director-General) said "The BBC's objective in launching Freesat is to support Digital Switchover by providing another way for licence payers to receive digital television channels and radio services, subscription free from the BBC and ITV.

"Its primary purpose is to drive digital take-up in analogue homes, particularly in those areas which are out of digital terrestrial coverage. Freesat also offers a trusted free-to-view digital upgrade path that gives licence payers all the benefits of digital television (notably high definition capability) guaranteed free of subscription."

Michael Grade (ITV Executive Chairman) said "Freesat will build on the success of Freeview by offering viewers a simple and cost effective way of upgrading to digital TV. By filling in the current gaps in Freeview coverage, Freesat will ensure that a free-to-air, no strings attached option for accessing digital TV is available to the whole of the UK ahead of digital switchover. By offering HD capability we will future proof Freesat if, as expected, high definition television continues to capture the imagination of UK viewers."
What channels will be provided?
The current single-channel HDTV service for the BBC is only a test service. It seems reasonable that the BBC will provide the main channels in HD resolution. This will probably not extend to the BBC regional news services, and may not initially include the national variations in HD.

ITV1 is the only network of theirs with regional variations, so again a "Network" version of the channel will be provided in HD, with SDTV potentially regional adverts inserted. It seems reasonable that ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 and CITV will also broadcast in HD.

It seems that the other public service broadcasters, Channel 4, five and S4C will want to get on board. This will require E4, C4, More4, five, five Life and five US to change their broadcasts, or for the new BBC Freesat to simulcast these channels as HD.

Channel 4 told the Guardian that the channel "currently has exclusive [digital satellite] carriage deals in place with Sky Digital for the majority of its channels (other than for Film4, which is broadcast free-to-air). Under the Communications Act we would expect to become subject to obligations to ensure the availability of the core channel on all satellite platforms, which would require that Channel 4 was available on Freesat."

As for the other non-public service Freeview channels:

1. Ftn, The Hits, TMF, UKTV Bright Ideas, UKTV History are locked into Sky subscription agreements, but obviously it would be to the benefit of Freesat if these channels could be made available to the extra 2.5 million homes.
2. Sky Sports News is a subscription service on satellite and Sky Three would have to go free-to-air, which may happen to show Sky's benevolence.
3. Sky News is broadcast free-to-air.

Published on 28th Apr 2007 at 13:14:56 by Brian Butterworth

westkill
19th May, 2008, 08:35 AM
freesat pdf brouchre

http://www.freesat.co.uk/file_uploads/Freesat_Brochure.pdf

mark015
26th May, 2008, 08:37 PM
cheers for that was wondering wat was going on with the freesat.

keymaster
28th May, 2008, 06:04 PM
Hi
thank you for the information, none of the shops local to me had receivers, most told me they had been recalled for software update. Local argos sold me the cheap Bush one - got it home and only HD channel it got was BBC (no red button action on ITV) called up bush (not george) and they told me thats why shops not selling as they all been recalled for software change so red button thing works for ITV HD.
Guy at Bush told me it would be at least 2 weeks before they did software - I took box back to argus.
thanks
Key

jimbo69jones
28th May, 2008, 06:50 PM
Are all the channels offered on the freesat service FTA for the rest of us with other equpiment?

westkill
28th May, 2008, 10:10 PM
i get the them on my dreambox except chanel five :)

tandyman
28th May, 2008, 10:27 PM
they are on technomate hd receivers at the moment with latest patch,

Hejira
31st May, 2008, 12:53 AM
i get the them on my dreambox except chanel five :)

Channel 5 is FTV on Sly not FTA!

It's not yet on the Freesat Box either but coming soon.

westkill
3rd June, 2008, 11:33 AM
there is a june update about where to buy freesat receivers :)

http://www.freesat.co.uk/

harby_d
9th June, 2008, 09:08 PM
excellent info guys, just what i was looking for!!

simonmorgan
17th July, 2008, 06:51 AM
this is supposed to be released "this summer" - has any one seen pre release reviews yet?