PDA

View Full Version : harddrive almost full

jimmynewbie
13th January, 2013, 01:04 PM
I have Dell Dimension 9150 desktop .The main hdd C drive where the Vista OS is installed shows a red line 12 GB left.I also have another drive D installed with plenty of space .Will the downloads automatically go to the D drive or do I need to take remedial action. Also when I open folders I can copy files to an external usb drive but there is no option to transfer to the D drive .Advice greatly appreciated

Cod3waX
13th January, 2013, 07:49 PM
bascily u have always said download and never choose a destination to download too so the computer automatically saves everything to the C:\ drive

the only thing u should have on ur C:\ is windows and installed programs

everything u download or add to ur computer e.g. films music pictures documents etc... should be saved to to a different location away from the C:\

now u say u have a D drive is that a partition from the C:\? or an extra HDD u added?

the next time u download something change the download directory

u now have to move all ur downloads and documents manually from the C:\ and i would do this a.s.a.p

XRay333
13th January, 2013, 11:29 PM
Just to let you know, Windows uses a portion of the Hard Drive for virtual RAM (when your cache fills up). It uses the VR for page swaping. To make a long story short, when there's no room on the Hard Drive and your cache fills up all the data being dumped will just go away for ever.

A rule of thumb is to leave 1/3 of your Hard Drive free to avoid problems.

You can get an External USB Hard Drive (500gb) for less then 50 bucks and save yourself a lot of problems.

jimmynewbie
15th January, 2013, 11:22 PM
many thanks for the advice .Will transfer files to D drive and change default download folder. Again thanks

smokin
16th January, 2013, 11:05 PM
Just move files to the D drive, by copy and paste, then once done, delete the same files from the C drive.

Also think about a USB drive...cheap enough these days and will save you lotsa time in the future.

ajax2061
17th January, 2013, 12:00 AM
you might be able to delete the D drive then extend your C partition to fill the empty space (this does not always work with windows drive management ! )