PDA

View Full Version : Any electrician(sparkeys) on here?

donovan2123
14th January, 2013, 08:10 PM
Hi guy's,
I will keep I simple. I'm currently 23 and have been a deliver driver since school.

I currently have a btec diploma in ICT and originally i wanted to work with computers however since I have gotten older the thought of being sat around all day staring at a computer screen has become less attractive.

So this year i have decided enough is enough and it's time for me to get my self a career.

I have been looking at college courses at my local college. They are running a Diploma in electrical installation. I would do this course in hope it would allow me to do c&g 17th edition 2382 and portable appliance testing 2377.

I know experience is a must so i would try and do 2 days a week whilst as on course as an electricians mate.

I would hopefully one day like to combine my computer knowledge with my election job. So i could do software installation rewires ect. For the electricians who may not be so clued up on computers and usually draw and badly estimate.

Any thoughts on this?

donovan2123
14th January, 2013, 08:12 PM
As above with the computerised calculations and rewire drawings i would also be a normal sparky by day.

caveman_nige
14th January, 2013, 08:25 PM
I thought you had to be Polish to be a sparky in the UK? lol

Sorry i can't help but somebody will be along eventually after he has had his dinner etc..

RobinGill
14th January, 2013, 08:34 PM
I'm not one personally but one of my best mates is a spark. He was lucky in that while he was studying part time he found a job working for a small but established firm.

Once he qualified he joined with a couple of people he knew and was making a mint installing solar panels till that all fell apart.

He still makes reasonable money - his work tends to vary between domestic/small commercial work he takes on himself, and other stuff like for house refurbs he may be called in to do a rewire.

However now he finds he has busy and quiet periods, not busy every day like when the panels were happening.

From looking at how he's ended up I would say it seems worthwhile, but there may be a lot I don't know