PDA

View Full Version : eBay Scammer Wins Two Years In The Slammer

satsmo
3rd March, 2009, 04:20 PM
A man who never sent the goods he sold on eBay has been sentenced to two years in jail for fraud.

For a while, Jason Hart of Manchester, England, believed that crime could pay. He sold a number of items on eBay, including 20 Xboxes, mobile phones, and tickets to the Ryder Cup, concerts, and other events. All in all, he made ?23,500 (about $36,000) between September 2006 and April 2007.

That?s a profitable venture. Very profitable, in fact, since he never sent the buyers any of the items he sold. When those buyers pursued him for the goods, he came up with a string of excuses, the BBC reports, the ultimate of which was calling the local paper, posing as his father, to say Jason Hart had died. Finally complaints by customers to the police prompted an investigation, and authorities worked with eBay.

Now it?s all come back to haunt him, as he pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit fraud, with the additional sting of perjury for telling a court his mother had died. He received six months in jail for the lie and another 18 months for the fraud. While pronouncing sentence, judge Mr Justice Everett told him:

"You put people off in that horrible, cynical fashion, showing just how capable you are of manipulative behavior in a dishonest way."

Hart?s girlfriend of the time had already pleaded guilty to acquiring criminal property for receiving gifts from Hart.

Richard Ambrose, head of Trust and Safety for eBay UK, said:

"The sentencing of Hart sends out a clear signal to sellers who try to defraud buyers on our site that they won't get away with it.?

Source: eBay Scammer Wins Two Years In The Slammer - - Digital Trends (http://news.digitaltrends.com/news-article/19373/ebay-scammer-wins-two-years-in-the-slammer)

Hamlet
7th March, 2009, 08:26 PM
That's the best news i've heard for ages - having been personally had by a scammer myself.

C64
7th March, 2009, 09:07 PM
Good!

...and I hope they catch many more of them.

bugaloo41
8th March, 2009, 12:33 PM
No time for tossers like this glad he has been punished.

lfc4life
8th March, 2009, 07:08 PM
About time these idiots were caught and convicted! And shud be given harsher sentences! 2 year not enuff :(

RedSpider
8th March, 2009, 09:08 PM
seems a bit harsh on his girlfriend. is it really her fault where he got his money from and what he spent it on?

Maddog
9th March, 2009, 11:51 PM
glad he has been caught 2years not enough and what about the money all those people have lost if he owns his own house it should be taken away from him to pay all those people back lets see how he likes losing everything w**nker

Staffy
13th March, 2009, 12:06 AM
Good to see, hate people that thrive off others misfortune...

RedSpider
16th March, 2009, 09:41 AM
does that include the government and the banks? lol

lfc4life
17th March, 2009, 12:12 PM
does it ~~~~ lol

Then theres the criminals, the crooked mps, the bent coppers, the doddgy agents blah blah blah :evil::evil::evil::beheaded:

Caz64
18th March, 2009, 11:54 PM
That's good news. I'm glad that he's been punished. I hope it sends a message to all the other scammers out there!

chalky 4
19th March, 2009, 09:00 AM
Richard Branson (little Dick his close friends call him) totally agrees .Lock em up. All these copy dvd s and cable boxes etc. Can one book adjoining cells.

sandiemag
19th March, 2009, 02:12 PM
A man who never sent the goods he sold on eBay has been sentenced to two years in jail for fraud.

For a while, Jason Hart of Manchester, England, believed that crime could pay. He sold a number of items on eBay, including 20 Xboxes, mobile phones, and tickets to the Ryder Cup, concerts, and other events. All in all, he made ?23,500 (about $36,000) between September 2006 and April 2007.

That?s a profitable venture. Very profitable, in fact, since he never sent the buyers any of the items he sold. When those buyers pursued him for the goods, he came up with a string of excuses, the BBC reports, the ultimate of which was calling the local paper, posing as his father, to say Jason Hart had died. Finally complaints by customers to the police prompted an investigation, and authorities worked with eBay.

Now it?s all come back to haunt him, as he pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit fraud, with the additional sting of perjury for telling a court his mother had died. He received six months in jail for the lie and another 18 months for the fraud. While pronouncing sentence, judge Mr Justice Everett told him:

"You put people off in that horrible, cynical fashion, showing just how capable you are of manipulative behavior in a dishonest way."

Hart?s girlfriend of the time had already pleaded guilty to acquiring criminal property for receiving gifts from Hart.

Richard Ambrose, head of Trust and Safety for eBay UK, said:

"The sentencing of Hart sends out a clear signal to sellers who try to defraud buyers on our site that they won't get away with it.?

Source: eBay Scammer Wins Two Years In The Slammer - - Digital Trends (http://news.digitaltrends.com/news-article/19373/ebay-scammer-wins-two-years-in-the-slammer)

Great news that, I've been shafted myself on fleebay without lube, like many others.

They deserve :beheaded: or is that a little strong?

lfc4life
20th March, 2009, 11:05 AM
Great news that, I've been shafted myself on fleebay without lube, like many others.

They deserve :beheaded: or is that a little strong?

no its not :)

melloned
25th March, 2009, 12:45 AM
:hmmmm:You've gotta be so carefull buying off ebay !
3yrs back , a Mate bought a ?10K car off there , he went to the house , in a respectable London suburb , viewed the car , documents , had it HPI'd , all fine .
He'd owned it for 4 months , when he was stopped by police ,on the Cheshire / Shropshire border , arrested for car theft , taken to a local detention centre and held for 4hrs questioning until , convinced of his innocence they released him , minus the car , he never saw it again .

Turns out he'd purchased from an organised gang , who had broke into the house , while it's owner was away at sea on a 6 month trip (merchant navy) .
In the house were all the car keys , documents , they even made him a cuppa ! , and as the HPI checked out fine (as it would ,in the absent owners name ! ) , he paid cash !
Personally , after this incident , i'd think twice about buying a high value item from ebay :hmmmm: