PDA

View Full Version : iPad home button wont work on occasion

flyin
19th January, 2013, 11:24 PM
My iPad 2 home button is constantly playing up, I recalibrate it every time but it's not a permanent solution. Has anyone any suggestions. :unionflag:

johnboy1974
22nd January, 2013, 05:23 PM
I don't understand how you recalibrate a home button.
Home buttons on all idevices are prone to breaking and being less responsive as time goes by.
Fortunately they are cheap to get fixed by a professional or you could try it yourself. Plenty good tutorials on you tube and the button cheap as chips on amazon or fleabay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jinkz
25th January, 2013, 09:57 PM
as said its fairly easy to replace but i think on opening your ipad you will break the bevel, so you would need a replacement for this. Take a look on youtube is your best bed.

flyin
27th January, 2013, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=johnboy1974;1846289]I don't understand how you recalibrate a home button.

Recalibration of the home button is just that a recalibration often when carrying out another function. One example of this is to select a pre installed app like notes then press and hold down off button as if to shut down and instead of sliding to power off press and hold down the home button until it returns you back to home screen, this can take more than one attempt but it does help and does recalibrate the home button.

My problem was that my home button would not respond and I could not return home page, at this point you can power down device then recalibrate as above or you can switch to landscape mode whilst holding down home button and back to portrait mode until home button works again, both options a pain in the backside.

The best by far solution I have come across when home button won't respond is to press down hard on either side of the home button, But not the button itself, this works a treat and it has been suggested that this is related to a temperature expansion issue and could be worth cooling the iPad down which I will try tonight.

I will only consider replacing home button when I have exhausted all other avenues, whilst it is easily doable it looks a chow on.
:vroam:

johnboy1974
28th January, 2013, 07:15 AM
[QUOTE=johnboy1974;1846289]I don't understand how you recalibrate a home button.

Recalibration of the home button is just that a recalibration often when carrying out another function. One example of this is to select a pre installed app like notes then press and hold down off button as if to shut down and instead of sliding to power off press and hold down the home button until it returns you back to home screen, this can take more than one attempt but it does help and does recalibrate the home button.

My problem was that my home button would not respond and I could not return home page, at this point you can power down device then recalibrate as above or you can switch to landscape mode whilst holding down home button and back to portrait mode until home button works again, both options a pain in the backside.

The best by far solution I have come across when home button won't respond is to press down hard on either side of the home button and this works a treat and it has been suggested that this is related to a temperature expansion issue and could be worth cooling the iPad down which I will try tonight.

I will only consider replacing home button when I have exhausted all other avenues, whilst it is easily doable it looks a chow on.

thanks for sharing that mate I never knew you could do that. Only thing is it would be hard to hold down the home button if it is not working properly which kinda makes the whole thing pointless and or very difficult to do.

johnboy1974
28th January, 2013, 07:17 AM

The best by far solution I have come across when home button won't respond is to press down hard on either side of the home button and this works a treat and it has been suggested that this is related to a temperature expansion issue and could be worth cooling the iPad down which I will try tonight.

Btw have you tried putting the charger into your device then wiggling it around a bit whilst pressing down hard a couple of times on your home button. This really helps too but is a short term fix.