PDA

View Full Version : Power Probe 3 ????

ghostridersa
21st January, 2013, 04:15 PM
Good day members of DK

The Snap-on dealer just delivered my new Power Probe 3. I like the PP3 is very handy other than the circuit breaker which they could have put in a different position. I would just like to hear from the members who use PP3 how reliable they are? Many problems? etc

Many thanks in advance

a1decode
21st January, 2013, 04:32 PM
sorry posted twice

a1decode
21st January, 2013, 04:34 PM
Hi
great for quick testing.
very durable ,drop mine most days but still works fine.
the tips do blunt but are only about 8 qhuid to buy.
all in all worth the money.
just bought the powerprobe hook,a lot bigger & the lead is a lot thicker but does a lot more.(and so it should at the price)
michael

ghostridersa
21st January, 2013, 04:43 PM
@ a1decode, many thanks for your reply, nice to hear it works well. Only thing I worry about is if it breaks trying to get parts for it here is south africa will be a mission. This country is so backward that when I asked around no body had even heard of the PP3, not even my snap-on dealer. Had to get him to order it from usa for me. Cost R2000 around 200 euro. Dont know if I paid to much.

a1decode
21st January, 2013, 07:06 PM
Hi
snap on can get the rocker switch & the probe end which are not to dear.
Not much else goes wrong with them if you look after it.
Michael

Meat-Head
21st January, 2013, 08:28 PM
wow not sure what currant price is but 1 year ago was ?100 (Inglish pounds)

great for doing jobs that thick people can do.

So you have a car in with a headlight out, great.

but if you have a 'technical' job sake of argument looking for a door pin connection on a car, it is a bit crap changing.

has been times where it gets tossed to one side and just the power lead used for regular Mac ET120 (Now made in china!) oh like 95% of the time that is.

the buzzer can be ANNOYING but also useful.

Rumor has it if you put it on a can siganl it should go 'bip-bip-bip' not had it do that though!

the tip rip it out and stuff bit a blue willy in it with bit of wire.

smokey08
21st January, 2013, 08:41 PM
As said the tips blunt very quickly. I paid ?129 for mine when they first came out and it's still going strong. I also have the extra lead kit but barely use them.

Ashraf6119
21st January, 2013, 10:55 PM
Hi

Can some body post the picture or a link to this power probe..........:hmmmm2:

Thanks

Meat-Head
21st January, 2013, 11:07 PM
think it was adam28 had a thread going when they first came out think was ppiii or someting

Power Probe 3 PowerProbe III PP3 circuit tester PP319FT on eBay! (http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/310211097969?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0)

ADVERT

Power Probe 3 - YouTube

ghostridersa
22nd January, 2013, 12:23 AM
Power Probe 3 Negative Peak to Peak mode - YouTube

koziolek
22nd January, 2013, 03:12 AM
I paid $180 CAD dollars for mine in Canada

teuton
22nd January, 2013, 03:51 AM
Great tool for a lot of quick tests. When you get close to an ignition high tension lead it will make beep-beep-beep...when there is a spark ocuring.
If you energize the tip BEFORE connecting to the device you want to avtivate you will make the switch live longer!!
Absolutely fancy the ECT 2000 circuit checker, if you got this one too.

Meat-Head
22nd January, 2013, 08:08 AM
Teuton can you give example of powering probe before attatching

Eithers your faulty or the redt of us are missing out

ghostridersa
22nd January, 2013, 09:14 AM
Meaty, what he means is that instead of letting the tip make contact and then pressing the +12v button,(thus causing an arc in the switch contact), rather press the +12v button and hold it and then let the tip make contact. So in other words the power is already on at the +12v switch thus the tip takes the punch of the arc and not the small switch.

teuton
22nd January, 2013, 02:53 PM
Meaty, what he means is that instead of letting the tip make contact and then pressing the +12v button,(thus causing an arc in the switch contact), rather press the +12v button and hold it and then let the tip make contact. So in other words the power is already on at the +12v switch thus the tip takes the punch of the arc and not the small switch.

That's it. I'll attach the manual for PP III.

BR:wavey:

rebel127
22nd January, 2013, 03:02 PM
I have three pp3's one in each service truck and one in the shop. They make quick work of diagnostics on trailers and such. Haven't had any trouble with mine other than a guy running over the cord!