PDA

View Full Version : PC hard drive full

parley
24th January, 2013, 04:15 PM
Hi I have a PC with a C: drive 60gb and a D(data) drive 60gb, the C: drive has only 900mb of free space is there anyway of allocating some of the free space from the D: drive? as at the moment i cannot burn a DVD or copy one etc.. or is there another cheap solution to this problem? thanks in advance.

Cod3waX
24th January, 2013, 05:46 PM
this program will allow u to add more or less hdd space from each drive

it is a partitioned drive and not two 60gb hdd's?

alternatively just buy a new hdd with usb caddy and/or a usb stick

ramjet
24th January, 2013, 08:10 PM
there is the other method of getting rid of all the spare stuff off drive c as its clearly got too much on it at nearly 60 gig

the 60 gig data drive is where the data should be stored including films and music and files leaving c drive to run windows os and any programs too

but that easeus tool will definitely allow you to increase c drives and decrease d drive, but moving the unnecessary files from c to d is free, easy to do and frees up space on c drive too

you didnt say what os you are using but I cannot see anybody needing more than 50 gig for a c drive and there seems little point in filling drive c and having drive d empty

smokin
26th January, 2013, 01:11 PM
Yea use the easeus app to do this and above advice is correct.
First, move some files around from C to D to create space, or delete stuff that you don't use or install again on the D drive.
The only thing that should be on the C drive is the OS.

All other apps , music etc, should be on the D drive.

Really your PC, is likely older model, so you should get a 500 MB usb drive and use this as storage

lagerland
26th January, 2013, 01:15 PM
He wont store much on 500 mb flash drive,he would be better off getting a 500gb ehd.or replace the internal one for a bigger one....................

dragonknight
26th January, 2013, 04:33 PM
Do as smoking writes about, and once that is done, you should run DiskCleaner. You find that under accessories > Systemtools. It will search your C drive for un-needed files, and give you the opportunity to delete them.

Once the C drive has been cleaned up, you will experience a performance boost if you run a diskdefragmentation tool on the drive. On some operating systems you will also find this tool under Systemtools.

For your OS to run smoothly, you should always have at least 15% free space on your C drive

CaptainCretin
28th January, 2013, 06:09 PM
You may have problems even moving or deleting stuff, Windows wants a minimum of 10% free disk space.

You may find you need to move/delete small stuff until the % increases.
Do you have a fixed or dynamic page file?? (Hint - 1-2GB fixed is best)
Switching it off and going into safe mode can sometimes clear enough space to give you room to sort out the problem.
Installing CCCleaner and running it can clear a lot of dead files as well, got rid of 20GB of "temp" files from a friends old 40GB drive!!!

super jumbe
28th January, 2013, 11:11 PM
Get your self a bigger hard drive about 250GB and transfer all your data to a new hard drive and keep your smaller disk safe, there is a programme called Norton ghost that programme will copy all your data safe into the new hard drive. :idea:

jasonblanc
29th January, 2013, 03:06 AM
You could try using the data tools in the "Hiren's Boot Cd" .

smokin
29th January, 2013, 10:48 AM
He wont store much on 500 mb flash drive,he would be better off getting a 500gb ehd.or replace the internal one for a bigger one....................

hehe a typo, of course I meant GB as in 500 GB or even TB is an option these days.

First as mentioned, remove/move/delete stuff from C drive first, otherwise you can't take space out

Canker_Canison
29th January, 2013, 03:00 PM
Once you have removed some junk from your C: partition. Try changing the save location for your documents.

In most versions of windows you can right click on your documents folder & click 'properties'

In there you should find the save location. Just change it to D:\My Documents

If it doesn't prompt you to 'move/copy' the contents of the My Documents folder, you can do it manually.

But once done all things saved to your documents will go to the D: partition.

nsw9154
1st February, 2013, 06:04 AM
Once you have removed some junk from your C: partition. Try changing the save location for your documents.

In most versions of windows you can right click on your documents folder & click 'properties'

In there you should find the save location. Just change it to D:\My Documents

If it doesn't prompt you to 'move/copy' the contents of the My Documents folder, you can do it manually.

But once done all things saved to your documents will go to the D: partition.

like cranker says
or get a 1 TB sata drive for about ?60 or a 500gig for ?40 from ebuyer.com check this link

Cheap Internal Hard Drives From Top Quality Brands | Ebuyer.com (http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Storage/cat/Hard-Drive---Internal)

i have nothing to do with ebuyer i buy all my PC stuff from them because they are grate value i have used them for nearly 10 years