PDA

View Full Version : FM radio aerial?

nibblitz
2nd February, 2013, 06:28 PM
Any radio experts who knows anything about outdoor FM 88-108 radio aerials? Ive bought one them round circular things to put outside to improve reception on my stereo, but Im a bit miffed by it.... Theres no balun inside the cable entry box, the centre core connects to one side, the outer to the other side, the circular poles go round and completes the circuit between inner and outer, eh? And also, the whole circular poles thing isnt shelded from the mast mount, so wouldnt that then mean that whatever pole I mount it on will become part of the antenna too, thats gonna introduce shed load of noise aint it?

Are these round circular pole FM aerials just a load of crap really? Because it sure looks like it to me, dont wanna waste my time putting it up if its shite.... Cheers for any help..

nara
2nd February, 2013, 09:33 PM
Are these round circular pole FM aerials just a load of crap really?

Yes and no. They're useful in strong signal areas as the can pick up from all directions, but they don't provide any gain.

Unless your in an ideal area, you're better off with a directional aerial aligned to the nearest transmitter.

Meat-Head
2nd February, 2013, 11:49 PM
use the google function for 'all in one' flat arieal ?16 from argos fits behind a picture, rumor states they can pick up ANYTHING perfect

nibblitz
3rd February, 2013, 12:37 AM
Nice idea, but people would laugh at me if I put one of them high up on my outdoor aerial mast, especially if I put a picture in front of it...
:)

But seriously, does anybody what might be the best sort of omni FM aerial for mounting outdoors? Like I said, this cheap circular thing I bought looks so pap I dont think I wanna waste my time with it...

lagerland
3rd February, 2013, 09:41 AM
At work,because they are arseholes i just use a long wire nothing technical,20 meters of speaker wire split and tacked to the eves,you cant even see it.Works very well considering its not balanced.....................

Meat-Head
3rd February, 2013, 10:56 AM
Dipole is word of the day largerlout mat?

Often find with car radios dtuff wire in arieal socket for a test