PDA

View Full Version : custom firmware

skinterz
18th May, 2008, 10:44 PM
alright

my boy got a new psp lite version 3.60 and was wanting to install custom firmware so it can play downloads i dont quite undestand how it works and have come across a dozen conflicting way of how to install and the problems you could have with it . so i have a cupla questions ...will installing custom firmware brick the psp or damage it in anyway ?....also i dont get having to downgrade then upgrade firmware to have access to different apps.all i want to do is be able to play iso games and not much else . do i have to keep upgrading once the firmware is installed ?

any idiot proof guide would be appreciated

ta skints

Jaffa
18th May, 2008, 11:08 PM
Hang in there m8, there are quite a few psp gurus on here who will sort you out. Easiest way is if you have a pandora battery and jigstick memory card but there is probably a way to do it by downgrading and upgrading but bide your time until one of them comes along, I can vouch that they will sort you out no problems.

kryton
19th May, 2008, 07:54 PM
alright

my boy got a new psp lite version 3.60 and was wanting to install custom firmware so it can play downloads i dont quite undestand how it works

The only way to do a slim/lite PSP so you can play ISO/CSO backup's is by using pandora as said by jaffa.
if you know anybody with a FAT custom firmware enabled PSP then you can use that to make the pandora battery and memory card and then use them to install custom firmware on the slim PSP.

so i have a cupla questions ...will installing custom firmware brick the psp or damage it in anyway ?

any messing around with the flash can cause it to brick, but thats why we have pandora, pandora not only installs custom firmware....it can also be used to unbrick bricked PSP's
if you follow things correctly though nothing should go wrong.

also i dont get having to downgrade then upgrade firmware to have access to different apps.all i want to do is be able to play iso games and not much else

you cant downgrade a slim PSP as they will not run on firmware 1.50.
this method was used on FAT psp's with firmware 3.50 or below.
the reason for this was that the custom firmware upgraders are HOMEBREW apps and in order to use them the PSP must be running firmware 1.50 first.
the downgraders to get you to 1.5 are also HOMEBREW apps.
the clever guys that make this possible find flaws in the original firmware which will allow you to run HEN (homebrew enabled psp) which allows a certain amount of HOMEBREW to be used, so you can downgrade to 1.50.

do i have to keep upgrading once the firmware is installed ?

as with original firmware....custom firmware will also need to be updated as games require higher firmware versions, but this is just as easy as updating the original firmware.

so you have 2 choices

1: find a FAT psp with custom firmware so you can create the pandora battery and memory stick.

2: buy a datel battery: http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/PSPaunhrjsc3k6/Datel-MAX-Power-TOOL-Battery-Downgrade-your-PSP (which is already made pandora) and use PSP grader to create the memory
stick.
this guide for PSP GRADER was written by JTH. i hope he dont mind me posting it here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

REQUIREMENTS

A) PSP SLIM (PSP 2000) OR PSP FAT (PSP 1000) AND PSP USB CABLE.
[NOTE: A CARD READER CAN ALSO BE USED IN PLACE OF USB CABLE]

B) PANDORA'S BATTERY

C) MEMORY STICK PRO DUO [64MB - 4GB] I HAVE TESTED THIS AND CAN CONFIRM THAT IT WORKS WITH FAKE STICKS.

D)PSP GRADER: http://www.x-projects.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?341

E)get the OFFICIAL FW UPDATES 1.5, 3.90
1.50: http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/4
3.90: http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/1406

F) MS NET FRAMEWORK 2.0 INSTALLED ON YOUR PC.
1)INSTALL PSP GRADER TO YOUR PC

2)RUN PSP GRADER, YOU WILL SEE 2 BOXES AT THE TOP, ADD THE LOCATION TO YOUR OFFICIAL FW UPDATES 1.50 AND 3.90 INTO THE CORRESPONDING BOXES

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc13/johnthehun/mm.jpg

3) PLUG YOUR PSP INTO THE PC VIA THE USB CABLE ENSURING THAT THE MEMORY STICK PRO DUO IS INSERTED INTO THE PSP. ALSO BE AWARE THAT THIS IS GOING TO FORMAT YOUR MEMORY STICK SO MAKE SURE TO BACK UP ANY IMPORTANT FILES FIRST. THE PSP GRADER PROGRAM WILL FIND YOUR PSP AND ASK IF IT IS THE DRIVE YOU WISH TO FORMAT, SELECT YES. NOW IN THE BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER OF THE PSP GRADER PROGRAM SELECT START.

4) YOUR MEMORY STICK IS NOW READY, UNPLUG THE PSP FROM THE USB CABLE, REMOVE THE BATTERY AND INSERT THE PANDORA'S BATTERY WHILST HOLDING THE LEFT SHOULDER BUTTON ON THE PSP. ONCE THE IPL HAS LOADED ON THE PSP SIMPLY PRESS THE X BUTTON. WAIT. AFTER AROUND 1 - 3 MINUTES THE FLASH SHALL BE DONE, PRESS X TO SHUTDOWN THE PSP, IT IS NOW SAFE TO REMOVE THE PANDORA BATTERY. [NOTE] ITS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO JUST WAIT AND NOT SWITCH OFF THE PSP OR REMOVE THE MEMORY STICK OR PANDORA'S BATTERY, IT COULD RESULT IN A BRICK IF YOU DO NOT WAIT.

Jocky666
19th May, 2008, 08:04 PM
For latest updates once flashed go to Dark Alex (http://www.dark-alex.org/) lates is 3.9 (M33-3) I thinkMine runs perfectly with all the games I have downloaded P.s if your after some games I may be able to help with a torrentleech invite!

hope I have been of some help!

Jocky

The only way to do a slim/lite PSP so you can play ISO/CSO backup's is by using pandora as said by jaffa.
if you know anybody with a FAT custom firmware enabled PSP then you can use that to make the pandora battery and memory card and then use them to install custom firmware on the slim PSP.

any messing around with the flash can cause it to brick, but thats why we have pandora, pandora not only installs custom firmware....it can also be used to unbrick bricked PSP's

the reason for this was that the custom firmware upgraders are HOMEBREW apps and in order to use them the PSP must be running firmware 1.50 first.
the clever guys that make this possible find flaws in the original firmware which will allow you to run HEN (homebrew enabled psp) which allows a certain amount of HOMEBREW to be used, so you can downgrade to 1.50.

as with original firmware....custom firmware will need to be updated as games require higher firmware versions, but this is just as easy as updating the original firmware.

so you have 2 choices

1: find a FAT psp with custom firmware so you can create the pandora battery and memory stick.

2: buy a datel battery: http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/PSPaunhrjsc3k6/Datel-MAX-Power-TOOL-Battery-Downgrade-your-PSP (which is already made pandora) and use PSP grader to create the memory
stick.
this guide for PSP GRADER was written by JTH. i hope he dont mind me posting it here.

REQUIREMENTS

B) PANDORA'S BATTERY

C) MEMORY STICK PRO DUO [64MB - 4GB] I HAVE TESTED THIS AND CAN CONFIRM THAT IT WORKS WITH FAKE STICKS.

D)PSP GRADER

(both PSP grader and official 1.5/3.90 updates can be found here: http://www.pspmod.com/forums/firmware/34449-ultimate-cfw-installation-guide-psp-grader-v0-2-a.html

2)RUN PSP GRADER, YOU WILL SEE 2 BOXES AT THE TOP, ADD THE LOCATION TO YOUR OFFICIAL FW UPDATES 1.50 AND 3.90 INTO THE CORRESPONDING BOXES

3) PLUG YOUR PSP INTO THE PC VIA THE USB CABLE ENSURING THAT THE MEMORY STICK PRO DUO IS INSERTED INTO THE PSP. ALSO BE AWARE THAT THIS IS GOING TO FORMAT YOUR MEMORY STICK SO MAKE SURE TO BACK UP ANY IMPORTANT FILES FIRST. THE PSP GRADER PROGRAM WILL FIND YOUR PSP AND ASK IF IT IS THE DRIVE YOU WISH TO FORMAT, SELECT YES. NOW IN THE BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER OF THE PSP GRADER PROGRAM SELECT START.

4) YOUR MEMORY STICK IS NOW READY, UNPLUG THE PSP FROM THE USB CABLE, REMOVE THE BATTERY AND INSERT THE PANDORA'S BATTERY WHILST HOLDING THE LEFT SHOULDER BUTTON ON THE PSP. ONCE THE IPL HAS LOADED ON THE PSP SIMPLY PRESS THE X BUTTON. WAIT. AFTER AROUND 1 - 3 MINUTES THE FLASH SHALL BE DONE, PRESS X TO SHUTDOWN THE PSP, IT IS NOW SAFE TO REMOVE THE PANDORA BATTERY. [NOTE] ITS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO JUST WAIT AND NOT SWITCH OFF THE PSP OR REMOVE THE MEMORY STICK OR PANDORA'S BATTERY, IT COULD RESULT IN A BRICK IF YOU DO NOT WAIT.

skinterz
19th May, 2008, 09:11 PM
cheers kryton, jocky

i going to mull it over i deffo going to do it but i need it all sunk in proper before i go ahead going to start with buying the datel battery download the software and take it from there .

im a lot more confident knowing i have this to return to and follow instead of reading bits here and there and ill post back in here to pick you brains when i get started if you dont mind haha

nice one

skints

biffo1
19th May, 2008, 09:44 PM
hi mate where abouts r u cos ill send u my giggy stick and pandora`s bat if u want, then either follow the tut or ill talk u through it as its quite straight forward once u have them both, or do as , jaffa , kryton says using the files in the links

skinterz
19th May, 2008, 11:58 PM
alright biff

i from swansea mate when you said you send me battery and gigstick i had lump in my throat haha very nice of you mate but dont want to be any bother like ...
ill see how i go with the tut and take it step by step .

cheers mate

skints

biffo1
20th May, 2008, 04:46 PM
well if u try n fail pm me and ill send u them no sweat thats what this sites all about ok or u can send me ur psp and ill do either ok with me .
all the best biffo

u are also in good hands here mate Kryton , bro the main peeps on here for psp`s ive just learnt from the best lol

bro
20th May, 2008, 08:52 PM
well if u try n fail pm me and ill send u them no sweat thats what this sites all about ok or u can send me ur psp and ill do either ok with me .
all the best biffo

u are also in good hands here mate Kryton , bro the main peeps on here for psp`s ive just learnt from the best lol

cheers for the big up :top:

janobi
21st May, 2008, 08:41 AM
alright biff

i from swansea mate when you said you send me battery and gigstick i had lump in my throat haha very nice of you mate but dont want to be any bother like ...
ill see how i go with the tut and take it step by step .

cheers mate

skints

Mate, I live in Swansea too, if you need this done then give me a shout.

skinterz
21st May, 2008, 11:30 PM
cheers janobi ...i taking biffo up on his offer to get me started .

nice to see another jack and thanks .

skints

janobi
22nd May, 2008, 09:09 AM
cheers janobi ...i taking biffo up on his offer to get me started .

nice to see another jack and thanks .

skints

Jacks all the way mate. Taking over. lol. Well if you need anything mate, give us a shout.

JTH
24th May, 2008, 01:00 PM

as with original firmware....custom firmware will also need to be updated as games require higher firmware versions, but this is just as easy as updating the original firmware.

so you have 2 choices

stick.

REQUIREMENTS

B) PANDORA'S BATTERY

D)PSP GRADER: http://www.x-projects.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?341

1.50: http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/4
3.90: http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/1406

no problem kryton m8
i didnt post it here as a few peeps are having bother with it
i think there may be a few bugs concerning version 2 and datels.
so i would stick to version 1 for now.

but good news
a lot of the bugs will be sorted with this shortly.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc13/johnthehun/grader3.gif

i will update when released

regards john

ps were still the people lol

pmc65
14th June, 2008, 08:41 PM
just use pandoras battery bye one off ebay i,ve done my brother inlaw psp slim and it works fine

JTH
18th June, 2008, 08:12 PM
just use pandoras battery bye one off ebay i,ve done my brother inlaw psp slim and it works fine

what do u think they are talking about m8
that is for pandora