PDA

View Full Version : BMW E90 steering lock fault

VTS_Tibi
5th February, 2013, 09:48 AM
Hi Guys,

Friend of mine has a 2006 BMW E90 318d. He bought it with one key, and purchased an other one from BMW. Since he has the new key the instrument cluster ALWAYS displays the following simbol:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x120/bcalta/IMG_20110324_192831.jpg

(not his car, but it's the same fault)

It's obviously a steering lock malfunction. I checked CAS with Autocom, and it was showing a steering lock Hall sensor malfunction, but after I cleared the error code it never went back. Autocom suggested to reset the CAS module, as if work was carried out on the locks and ingition barrel it may show irrelevant faults. This was done, no faults stored, but the above fault on the dash is consistent.

I searched a bit around, and found out that it's a common fault on MY06 E90s. Dealer suggests to do a software upgrade on CAS which never helps, and the last step is to replace the steering colum altogether. But the weird thing is that this car did not show this fault before the making of the new key!

Some suggested that it may be a fault caused by low voltage, so I'll start withc checking the battery, earth points, and voltage, and if it has a non-oem battery I'll register that, and see if it helps or not.

But still any kind of help would be appreciated, as I still can't figure out how could making a new key generate this fault!

obdmaster
5th February, 2013, 08:57 PM
Ive had this fault before, i use AVDI in CAS module there is a button to "synch CAS and ELV". Press that job done.

VTS_Tibi
5th February, 2013, 10:04 PM
Hmm.... may have to look around to see if there's an option like this in my diag arsenal :D

Could INPA do the same?

vasko
24th March, 2013, 09:15 AM
Hi I personally tried it and 100%
AVDI going for 5 seconds....
syn evl and cas