PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Vauxhall/Opel Y17DT. Is it worth doing?

Larue
12th February, 2013, 09:51 PM
I'm now in a bit of dilemma.
I own Vauxhall Astra with Y17dt Isuzu engine.
In the middle of march I'm going to far faraway country with trailer attached. I know i will be driving in mountains so...there becomes a question.

Should i tune up the engine or drive it as it is?

I know i could buy something more powerful,but i can't afford that at the moment. There is nothing wrong with car. It had recent cambelt change,new tyres and the only thing what's wrong is that sometimes turn indicator switch isn't coming back from left position and seats are made by some idiot!
I even have 2 spare fuel pump control modules in the boot.

On one hand i understand that engine isn't very powerful and will be struggling in mountains with trailer on the back.

On the other hand as i can't tune it up by myself as I'm dumb in all this. So i must buy tuned file from professionals.

So....there is another question for more experienced members which has experience tuning these engines:

How safe is it to tune engine with 150 000 miles on the clock and is it worth doing at all?

Thanks
Larue

NASTASE
13th February, 2013, 07:17 AM
Isuzu engine is very well built.I have a car in company with over 350000 km on clock , run with mod file 300.000km .Post your ori file,maybe i can help you with free mod file,i have some.

Larue
13th February, 2013, 08:19 AM
Thanks for offer.That would be interesting to try.

darius89
13th February, 2013, 06:31 PM
how you read flash ???

Larue
13th February, 2013, 07:36 PM
With MPPS V12.
Something wrong with file?

Larue
15th February, 2013, 10:05 AM
OK.
Was thinking about all these things a bit more and made decision.
If tuned file costs around 400 pounds it's not worth doing as the car isn't worth that.
I would really appreciate that if some kind person could pass me good,tested tuned file. Otherwise i will be driving as it is.

Thanks
Larue

NASTASE
16th February, 2013, 07:10 AM
Here you are, tested file.Feedback please.Pass in pm.

smokey08
16th February, 2013, 01:02 PM
Be careful with that file. Its a ebay tuning disc (http://reducteur.free.fr/tunefiles/Tuned/Tuned%20Files/OPEL/ASTRA/) special.

NASTASE
16th February, 2013, 04:34 PM
Be careful with that file. Its a ebay tuning disc (http://reducteur.free.fr/tunefiles/Tuned/Tuned%20Files/OPEL/ASTRA/) special.
Hi Smokey,
I respect your position on this forum.I assure you that is good free mod file and tested hundreds of thousands of miles.If a profi mod file cost 400 pounds, I think this is worth 325 pounds.
The only reason that the file is with password is that I don't want to affect the business of making money from tuning.

Larue
16th February, 2013, 07:41 PM
Hi Smokey,
I respect your position on this forum.I assure you that is good free mod file and tested hundreds of thousands of miles.If a profi mod file cost 400 pounds, I think this is worth 325 pounds.
The only reason that the file is with password is that I don't want to affect the business of making money from tuning.

OK. To get things clear.
I flashed with that file ECU. There weren't problems with programming. So all good from that side.
So far i have done about 20km/16 miles. There are some things what i don't like,but it's definitely not over tuned as i can't see more power from the engine than i had before, or differences by building boost pressure.
I can say that sometimes it feels like there is not enough boost pressure and under load there are like "steps"(sometimes feels like holding back).
I will go out tomorrow with trailer and diagnostics kit to pick up some stuff about 50 miles(80km) each way and then i will do proper report.
Thanks
Larue

Larue
18th February, 2013, 08:56 PM
Feedback as promised. Just,please, don't get it too personal.
Did my trip without a problem.
File isn't too bad,but it could benefit from a little bit more boost as in actual values that seems to be a bit low.There is just slightly more power output than from my original file.
The worst thing is that engine is smoking black smoke, especially driving in city(accelerating in 2nd gear is worst bit) or under hard acceleration. Seems like too much fuel and too low on air.
Sometimes there is slight hesitation after gears being switched (intermittent) and as i said before it's feels like it holding back a bit(underboost?).
Flashed back my original file and everything went back to normal. No more smoke,holding back or hesitations.
Will leave original file on and will be driving as it is.
I might bee just too fussy about all this,but i have reason for that. Will be doing about 3000 miles(around 5000km)each way and want to do this on safe side.
Thanks NASTASE for letting me try your file. Really appreciate your help.
Best Regards
Larue

P.S. I can't attach printscreens from diagnostics session as my missus can't drive very well nor work with computers which makes a bit difficult making printscreens whilst driving.

NASTASE
19th February, 2013, 06:52 AM
A common defect in your car are deposits that accumulate in the intake manifold.You have more fuel but not enough air to be able to burn it.Also your turbo might not be able to deliver the amount of air required.But first check the intake manifold,I know it's a lot of work but worth it.

Meat-Head
9th December, 2014, 08:47 PM
I'm now in a bit of dilemma.
I own Vauxhall Astra with Y17dt Isuzu engine.
In the middle of march I'm going to far faraway country with trailer attached. I know i will be driving in mountains.

Thanks
Larue

HELLO, CAN YOU HEAR US FROM OVER THERE? Laure, come in if you can read, over