PDA

View Full Version : CentOS anyone?

ps2chiper
7th March, 2009, 10:37 PM
I've been using ubuntu for over a year and never tried anything else. I have read that CentOS is really fast for servers. I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with CentOS?

caveman_nige
7th March, 2009, 11:01 PM
never heard of it to be honest, when i need to put linux on a server i tend to use Suse... Is it a gui server version?

alunfennell
8th March, 2009, 08:00 PM
I have been using Red Hat Enterprise Linux server 5 and have introduced it my work recently I have found this to be a very fine OS, Never had hands on experience with CentOS but I believe CentOS 3.3 is a good Red Hat server alternative, It would be down to the support you get for each OS which would derterman the one you might use.

Regards:
Alun

cimi1234
12th March, 2009, 12:08 AM
I run my email server for years on CentOs and it is very stable.

Devilfish
12th March, 2009, 12:41 AM
I think CentOS is more for servers rather than workstations. The Digital Kaos server runs on CentOS 5.2.

I've read that Debian is the easiest to work with but I found Ubuntu very user friendly.

ps2chiper
12th March, 2009, 08:21 AM
Thats exactly what I want it for. Back in America they Have 20mb fiber optics for servers for about 250 usd a month. When I go back home. I would like to invest into my own private server instead of using others. So I wanted to get personal advice about cent os as I hear it is really good for servers.

Devilfish
12th March, 2009, 08:30 AM
That is extortionate. You can get servers on 100mb lines for way less than that.

grizzlyt
12th March, 2009, 11:02 AM
CentOS is a recompilation of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

I guess it's compatible with the corporate version of Suse too.

I would go with the server Version of Ubuntu, because you can have all the new stuff really quick and there is an easy way to upgrade the whole system without installing everything all over again.

The support of Ubuntu is excellent too and you have long term support if you want.

ps2chiper
12th March, 2009, 11:37 AM
With my own 20mb line. I will have as many servers as I want.

alunfennell
12th March, 2009, 02:41 PM
Well thats what most people do ! they rent out server space to others to cover the out right cost of hosting it themselves and make a small profit in return,

Regards:
Alun

ps2chiper
12th March, 2009, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't rent my out. I want to keep them for my own business. If anyone has some guides about profession Centos servers, I would love to take a look at them to learn more.

alunfennell
13th March, 2009, 01:14 AM
The Perfect Setup - CentOS 5.0 (32-bit) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_centos5.0)

Regards:
Alun

ps2chiper
13th March, 2009, 10:54 PM
I seen that before. Do you have any guides like that on cpanel by chance?

deangreen4
16th March, 2009, 07:26 PM
Centos is ok, but keep in mind you will end up compiling a lot more stuff than if you used Ubuntu.
Centos is the distro used for Trixbox and it is fantastic for that.

For a general server, I would install Ubuntu server 8.10 anytime.

ps2chiper
16th March, 2009, 08:17 PM
I see. so for a speed increase you give up ease of use. I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

deangreen4
22nd March, 2009, 02:03 PM
I see. so for a speed increase you give up ease of use. I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Why is that giving up ease of use?

belfast
11th July, 2009, 12:01 PM
I've used ubuntu as a desktop and debian as a server distro for years. I'd say debian although easier to use because of their superior apt repos lack support from many of the hardware manufacturers such as dell and ibm. For years dell perc raid controllers worked well under RedHat based system yet caused problems under debian. Dell and IBM also released server management only on redhat and not on debian, getting these to work on debian is a ball ache.

CentOS is a community-supported, distro based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It exists to provide a free enterprise class computing platform and strives to maintain 100% binary compatibility with its upstream distribution (RedHat).

it's horses for courses really ubuntu has better driver support and more multimedia applications for desktops. Redhat and CentOS might be a bit harder to master but if you want to run servers in the future they are probably the best bet.

It's also worth remembering there are no recognized professional qualifications for debian but there is a plethora for RedHat.

haggis_supper
17th November, 2009, 10:23 AM
I've been a linux guy since 1997, I've even have code in the kernel.

Over the last couple of years I've been using Centos.
1. It is a recompile of Redhat and keeps pretty much in sync
2. VERY stable, don't think i've had an issue yet

I'm running a 33 node computation cluster with it along with various 64-bit servers at work.
I also run it on a dual core atom at home along with other systems.

I would say this is really an O.S. for servers. If you want to run a nice desktop environment go for UBUNTU or one of the free distributions you get with magazines.

madman_lxl
6th December, 2009, 09:50 AM
CentOS is great for DEV but i've always perferred the saftey of having a company backing the product thats why home and DEV i use CentOS or Debian/Ubuntu but i always use RHEL in Production. i mean for $700 a SL for a box (in most cases) its a good investment. OH and hardware Manufactors offically support it.

haggis_supper
16th December, 2009, 03:26 PM
So basically, if you like RedHat and want it for free, pull over Centos. Basically where it says Redhat they have swapped it for Centos. :)

TheGodfather
18th December, 2009, 02:32 PM
I have used CentOS for years in the hosting industry for all sorts including running virtualisation with OpenVZ and Xen, and also web/mail/dns servers.

Hand on heart i can say it has been the best Distro i have used for web servers, there is also lots of support which can easily be obtained via google as usual :p

prestomadcat
16th January, 2010, 04:48 PM
I use CentOS for both my servers, once you get used to it, it's brill nix distro very fast and reliable, i used to use Fedora for the servers but once i put CentOS on, server load increased tenfold lol. i have recently installed cPanel on one of the servers lol but i'm currently writing my own control panel, once its finished i'll make it open source :D

hackhain
12th February, 2010, 09:45 PM
cPanel/WHM is proprietary software and licence costs start from $425 per year. Hosting companies have got bulk deduction in that price. In the other hand, you may look GPL ones.

cpjackso
21st February, 2010, 02:56 PM
CentOS works really well, but as everyone else has said - it's really a server OS rather than desktop.

noserwis
27th March, 2010, 01:50 PM
Grate version for home server. I use it for 2 years :burnout:

ihoti2001
17th May, 2010, 03:59 PM
I've been using ubuntu for over a year and never tried anything else. I have read that CentOS is really fast for servers. I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with CentOS?

CentOS is the OS of choice for almost every WebHosting compaby out there these days. You might have seen cPanel (if you every had and webhosting account for you website or your clients) and almost all of them run on CentOS. It is free and it comes with GUI. Ubuntu Server 10 LTS has just come out, but no GUI, you would have to do a "sodu apt-get install Webmin" to have a GUI of sorts for managing the server (Webmin has been around for many years and its an excellent tool). Then you can log on to the Webmin gui form any other machine on the same Network by the said server ip address:#### and whatever the open port number is. You need to do a bit of reading but not much. Highly recommended. I hope this has helped.

Ilir:rock:(long live Linux)

charliebrown
21st May, 2010, 06:16 PM
CentOS is the OS of choice for almost every WebHosting compaby out there these days. You might have seen cPanel (if you every had and webhosting account for you website or your clients) and almost all of them run on CentOS. It is free and it comes with GUI. Ubuntu Server 10 LTS has just come out, but no GUI, you would have to do a "sodu apt-get install Webmin" to have a GUI of sorts for managing the server (Webmin has been around for many years and its an excellent tool). Then you can log on to the Webmin gui form any other machine on the same Network by the said server ip address:#### and whatever the open port number is. You need to do a bit of reading but not much. Highly recommended. I hope this has helped.

Ilir:rock:(long live Linux)

Perhaps, I wouldn't recommend Centos for home users because like the distro its based on RHEL, updates dont make it out as quick as other "desktop" distro's

juetsing
28th May, 2010, 04:37 PM
CentOS is a cheaper clone of Redhat.
Use almost the same rpm package way.
But diff from Debian's deb.

charliebrown
30th May, 2010, 12:36 PM
CentOS is a cheaper clone of Redhat.
Use almost the same rpm package way.
But diff from Debian's deb.
centos is not cheaper, its free. and is 100% compatible with rhel as its essentially the same.

jwr3
6th June, 2010, 02:38 AM
CentOS is (as others have pointed out) RedHat sources that have been un-branded and recompiled, so you don't get (or pay for) support.

That being said, it is 100% RHEL binary compatible, to the point of accepting pre-compiled binary [kernel] drivers that were made for RHEL.

About the ONLY skullduggery I have ever needed to resort to is editing the /etc/redhat-release file on a Proliant Server; you simply replace the contents with the appropriate contents for the version of RedHat your CentOS is based upon, and you are good to go--the vendor's drivers for RHEL (ALL of them; SAS RAID, Server Management, Event Logging, Remote Console, etc) will then install without a hitch.

I prefer RHEL/CentOS to SuSE for one reason: Mono. SuSE has a bad case of it.

I use Ubuntu for desktops, but for REAL server stuff, RHEL/CentOS is tough to beat, especially for stability; there are servers out in DMZ's that are RHEL based with uptimes measured in years (since the last reboot).

For desktop use, depending upon whether you like Gnome of KDE 4 more, you would be looking at Ubuntu or Kubuntu (You can "change" between them by loading and unloading some packages...). If you have an older laptop you want to put it on, look at Xubuntu, which is based upon a window manager that is less demanding [than KDE and/or Gnome] (called Xfce).

If you are looking for something (by way of Linux) to hand to a wee one, look at "Sugar".

But that's just my two cents' worth...

studentt
15th June, 2010, 02:17 PM
I think that CentOS is primarily for servers and it's very popular for that purpuse, but there are probably some graphical user interface like in Ubuntu for example.

sleeper05
15th June, 2010, 02:53 PM
Cent OS is basically a ripped version of redhat linux. Without the support.

We use centos on our virtualisation technology and very stable. i'd say the most stable linux os for free.

Ubuntu is more friendly with a lot of useful and excess stuff while centOS is clean and only install extra stuff what you want to use it for. The whole world wide web servers run on CentOS and that tells you something.

karlaiva
21st June, 2010, 11:03 PM
I think that CentOS is primarily for servers and it's very popular for that purpuse, but there are probably some graphical user interface like in Ubuntu for example.

Hello,

i am using CentOS what stands for Community Enterprise OS, like you wrote - centos is open source clone of red hat distro. You have grafical interface for centos GNOME or KDE but i recommend that you use instead Fedora if you cant handle non grafical interface.:proud: