PDA

View Full Version : Metal detectors

ecufix
26th February, 2013, 06:48 AM
Hi do we have any metal detector/ treasure hunter enthusiasts on board ? With the latest findings of gold and meteors all over the world has sparked an interest in our workshop and we are busy with several diy designs with varying levels of success . Any proven designs to share ? thanks , regards

super jumbe
26th February, 2013, 06:59 AM
There is no gold in UK only coal, you will have to travel to Africa not worth the hassle mate. :eek:

ecufix
26th February, 2013, 07:59 AM
There is no gold in UK only coal, you will have to travel to Africa not worth the hassle mate. :eek:
Then I am in luck , I live in South Africa ,got any ideas on which frequency to tune for to look for gold ? We tuning for maximum smoke at the moment ,regards

lagerland
26th February, 2013, 09:11 AM
Can a detector be set only to respond to gold?

No. There are too many variables with exact alloys and sizes to pin it down tightly enough to dig only one type of metal. For example, a large piece of gold may read high on a display or audio discrimination scale and a small piece of gold may read low on that same scale. Gold with some copper, silver, or platinum within its natural alloy will indicate differently. And other metals with similar electrical characteristics may read identically. Lead and aluminum are the most difficult common trash metals to eliminate. Even with the most sophisticated detectors available, expect to dig some trash. But a good discriminator increases the odds in your favour...................

tornado
26th February, 2013, 01:43 PM
I have a Garrett Ace meatal detector and there not bad for less than 200 pounds to buy the 50 pound ones are a waste off time,i should say its not just about finding gold there are alot of other things to find as for digging u kind off learn what to dig and what not to and when u first start out your dig just about every thing,people do pan gold in the uk but u dont get alot of them doing it more in scotland.

RedSpider
26th February, 2013, 02:02 PM
I already know where to find some metal so I don't feel the need to waste my time walking around in a field with an electro-magnet plugged into my ears

jordigirl
28th February, 2013, 07:13 PM
a don't think nicking the lead of a church roof counts though redspider lol

nara
28th February, 2013, 07:30 PM

Bollocks! Gold has been mined in Britain since Roman times.

Gold Prospecting and Panning In The UK (http://detecting.org.uk/html/Gold_Prospecting_Panning_in_the_United_Kingdom.htm l)

m9g
2nd March, 2013, 09:11 AM
Detecting has been put on hold for me at the mo, work, family etc etc but I use to be quite into it even starting my own club in the south-west which is still running but someone else taken it over.

I started with the Garrett Ace 250 which is a supurb machine and relatively cheap coming in around ?150, I then moved on to the Garrett Euro Ace which is just an upgrade from the ace250. I have quite a few finds, coins, buttons, musket balls and part of a 15th C sword clasp.

The next step would be to a Minelab detector but you would need to be committed to detecting as these start at a few hundred quid.

A MUST for any detectorist is a Garrett Pro Pointer - will save loads of time in pin-pointing the source when digging.

Best way to get started is to find a local meet, plenty going on around the country and usually cost around ?10-?15 for the day and are open to anyone. - try weekend wanderers website they are pretty good for meets.

I had sole detecting rights to a few farms in the local area by printing of a standard letter and sending to all the farms.

Unfortunately not the farm where the largest hord of coins was found in the UK which is just down the road from where i live and I work with a relative of the farmer. The coins are now on display at Taunton Museum.

As to the question of gold, theres loads of it out there, I know someone who has found two very nice Gold coins worth a few thousand GBP - some of its down to skill and a lot of luck.

ecufix
2nd March, 2013, 11:37 AM
I managed to get hold of a Garret master hunter deep seeker at a good price , going to start looking for treasures on the beach tomorrow , thanks , regards

ecufix
2nd March, 2013, 11:54 AM
Just in case you might need a manual for your detector Detector Manuals (http://jb-ms.com/Detectors/Manuals/)

m9g
2nd March, 2013, 01:43 PM
Just remember only dig if it beeps in both directions of the sweep - if it beeps sweeping one way but not back the other then its detected something then discriminated it so you dont get a beep the other way because its generally rubbish