PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Solo Hard Drive Setup

mickb82
1st March, 2013, 10:18 PM
Hi,

I have just ordered a VU+ Solo and I want to be able to record to an external hard drive.

I have been reading several forums and it seems like most people recommenrd externally powering the hard drive to avoid strain on the VU box's power supply.

I already have a 250GB 2.5" SATA hard drive in an enclosure with a usb Y cable that can be plugged into 2 USB ports for extra power, If I plug the main usb into the VU box and the other usb into a USB mains AC adaptor would this work or would I risk damaging the VU box?

The adpter is HTC AC to USB adpter and the output is 5v 1A.

Thanks

Mick

cactikid
2nd March, 2013, 12:42 AM
i believe you can use the internal hdd and exterior hdd but i would advise to have a powered one to plug into the mains and just use the 1 usb port

septicsmurf
2nd March, 2013, 11:04 AM
Is it a clone or original solo?
I know clones have a lot of psu trouble from experience.

mickb82
2nd March, 2013, 02:53 PM
Is it a clone or original solo?
I know clones have a lot of psu trouble from experience.

Thanks, it's a clone. After more reading I have decided to buy a mains powered USB hub, it's not worth risking damaging the box when I can get a hub for ?6! I will then plug the HDD into this. Also with a hub I can plug in an additional USB stick for epg, channel icons and pausing etc without it sticking out of the front.

Thanks.

Deejaygav79
12th January, 2014, 01:23 PM
Hi just wondering if the usb hub worked for you. I have a external HDD and want to use it along with a usb pen drive but was wondering if both will work through the one USB port.