PDA

View Full Version : ID fraud malware hit 10 million users: 2008

caveman_nige
11th March, 2009, 03:50 PM
I have always maintained that you need more than just an AV product (no matter what is) to protect your system.. Using a small but reliable set of tools to accompany a good AV has kept my kit clean. It was therefore funny to see this report from Panda who's product is notoriously crap...

But the lesson is beware of the shite you can unwittingly get from the net, an AV on its own will not protect you.

More than 10 million internet users worldwide were hit with identity fraud-related malware last year, according to a new estimate from Panda Security.
The number of computers infected with active programs designed to steal personally identifiable or financial information that can be used for identity fraud, such as Trojans for stealing bank account information, rose by 800 per cent from the first half of the year to the second half, the study found.
Of the 67 million computers that Panda analysed in 2008 for the study, 35 per cent of those infected had up-to-date antivirus software installed. The number of users who have been actively exposed to identity fraud malware is about one per cent of the worldwide population of internet users, according to the study.
The researchers predict that the infection rate will increase by 336 per cent per month throughout this year, based on the trend of the previous 14 months.

wooper
11th March, 2009, 05:29 PM
I run kapersky on mine, what else would you advise??

a66ict3d
13th March, 2009, 06:46 PM
a good firewall like comodo