PDA

View Full Version : EDC15P+ bootmode Recovery with MPPS

colouny
6th March, 2013, 01:23 PM
Hi all,
After bricking my friends ECU, decided to make these instructions how recover EDC15P ECU after bad write/flashing for everyone else to have a lot less problems while solving all this mess.

It is attached in the PDF. Please link to this forum f you want to share the file.

Dont forget to say that if it was helpful for you.

colouny
6th March, 2013, 01:24 PM
EDC 15 Recovery using bootmode with
MPPS V12
Long story made short
My friend asked if i can add some ?oomph? to his VW TDI, so went to ebay bought
MPPS chinese clone and got the file. I was ready to flash it, but forgot to
checksum it. The end result... well you know the end result. If you read this then
probably got similar problems and want to use MPPS to write the original file back
in bootmode. Read on and maybe my experiance with this particular problem will
help you to solve yours.
I have searched for a solution to fix bad flashing/write disaster or error, or bricked EDC15 or
whatever you call it, and got to the point where i found many info regarding how to enter
bootmode, desoldering and programming with willem programmer, and found many pictures,
wiring and so on.
But aparently none of them described how to do this exatcly, i mean how to write with mpps in
bootmode. Everyone was saying that is ?simple, jus write in bootmode?, ?MPPS can recover
almost any EDC15 ECU?, ?I?ve done many times? an so on.
I found this very hard to do, and while searching decided that if i succeed to recover i will do a
simple instructions how to do it without asking too many dumb questions.
So here it is in very short description, with pictures.
P.S. I do not own the pictures, they are the property of their respective owners, I dont know
who are they just found them on the mighty GOOGLE.
You do this on your own, and i cant be responsible for mistakes you make!
1. Remove the ECU. Warm it a little bit up, there is a sealnt which holds the housing halves pretty
strong, so after warming will be easier to open it. Dont heat it too much, just to be hand warm.
Here is the picture, this is what you will probably see inside the ECU case.
2. 29F400 Location and bootmode pin 24. For now you have to solder a wire to the pin. To the
other end of the wire conncet 5k resistor. Thats it for now. Here are the picture of the chip, and
the pin to be used.
3. Prepare all the connections to the ecu and MPPS cable as shown on the picture below.
MPPS Cable Pinout:
1. Pin16 = +12v
2. Pins 4&5 = Ground
3. Pin 7 = K Line
4. When all done and checked twice, connect your MPPS cable to PC, open software and
locate the BOOTMODE wirte function. This was tricky for me, but finally i got to this point
and after that everything was a peace of cake. Before connectin the +12v power supply to
the proper cable as you have seen in the pictures above. And before connecting the
negative wire be sure to ground the bootmode pin 24 thru a 5k resistor, and remove it after
aprox 15 seconds, but do not disconnect the ecu and MPPS power connections.
5. Navigate to where you choose brand and choose not VW or Audi etc. but choose GENERIC. I
found this Hardly noticable, and found only after a hint in the internet after 16 hours of
searching.
After that choose your ECU as stated in the List that opens after ou choose GENERIC
6. Click Checksum Open the file that you want to checksum, the open the file that you have
read from your car before making any mods. Above the progress bar you will see something
written in GREEN color, and youre good to go. Then click Write, choose the file to write and
wait for a while for the progress bar to reach 100% and you are done, and as happy as i was
that i have saved some $$ on buying programmers, or used ECU?s, or sending to a tunner for
a fix.
The most important thing: If you did not undertant a thing what i am talking about or have any
questions, just ask in the forum where you have downloaded this file, the community will help as
much as they can to solve your problems.
Sorry for mistakes English is my native. Enjoy, and say thanks.
This File is posted only in two places, those guys helped me a lot , and i am very thankfull for help :
1. http://www.***********.com/
2. Digital Kaos - Cable & Satellite Forum (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/)

bondiblu
6th March, 2013, 01:51 PM
If you play with ECU's, I'd get a programmer. There'll come a time when the only solution is desolder and programmer, I've already had this with an EDC15P+ where none of my tools would recovery it (incl MPPS) and even my Original Magpro2 wouldn't even in bootmode. In my opinion its an essential tool to have, but thanks for your time posting your findings.

colouny
6th March, 2013, 01:54 PM
Agree, but i am not a proffesional tunner not planning to be one. Its best what i can offer out of my own experiance, maybe it will be helpfull for some one.

viki300
6th March, 2013, 02:55 PM
Hello with MPPS you dont need to hook ecu on bench just select correct file correct car protocol put slow speed and go strait to write no id works everytime or yours ecu is really broken:laugh:

colouny
6th March, 2013, 05:31 PM
Hello with MPPS you dont need to hook ecu on bench just select correct file correct car protocol put slow speed and go strait to write no id works everytime or yours ecu is really broken:laugh:

I know, everyone write that this sould, work, but the reality is that it didnt work for me. So i had to remove the ECU and bench-flash it

ecutuner
9th March, 2013, 02:18 PM
First: If you got the right file for your ecu (software and hardwarenumbers must match!) the checksum should be already corrected in the file you got - otherwise your so called "tuner" where you bought the file is a numb...

Second: if you flashed a file with wrong checksum you will be able to flash original (i hope you readed and saved it before flashing "tuned" software) back. With wrong checksum the car only doesnt start but you always have access to ecu! Only if the writing of the file was aborted during writing-cyclus you cannot reflash (if you turned of the ignition before rewriting original file)

Third: if the ecu doesn't communicate (with you mpps or diagnose-software) you scrambled the contents of the flash-eprom. The best thing to repair is to try with boot-mode or desolder the flash (29F400BT) programm the original software on it and resolder it. If you cannot do this - remove your ecu from the car and go to a QUALIFIED tuner near to you, he can repair it and maybe reflash a good tuning-software!

colouny
9th March, 2013, 03:58 PM
First: If you got the right file for your ecu (software and hardwarenumbers must match!) the checksum should be already corrected in the file you got - otherwise your so called "tuner" where you bought the file is a numb...

First : I am describing my case exactly! They Check sum's matched, but when you write with MPPS you have to press calculate, and only the write. As i said something went wrong, and the ecu became unreadable.

Second: if you flashed a file with wrong checksum you will be able to flash original (i hope you readed and saved it before flashing "tuned" software) back. With wrong check sum the car only doesnt start but you always have access to ecu! Only if the writing of the file was aborted during writing-cyclus you cannot reflash (if you turned of the ignition before rewriting original file)

I didnt have full original, as it was my first time, i had only data from that car, according to witch it was tuned. And I was not able to do ny this you say by OBD port, dont know why was like that and what went wrong, i just could not...

Third: if the ecu doesn't communicate (with you mpps or diagnose-software) you scrambled the contents of the flash-eprom. The best thing to repair is to try with boot-mode or desolder the flash (29F400BT) programm the original software on it and resolder it. If you cannot do this - remove your ecu from the car and go to a QUALIFIED tuner near to you, he can repair it and maybe reflash a good tuning-software!

This is exactly what i did, i dont own a programmer which can flash the 29F400 so desoldering was not an option for me, the only way to repair this ecu was as i described. And again this was only my own case, and while i was searching for a solution to fix my own mistakes, i found a lot of questions without proper answer. Everyone says that mpps does this without a hictch, i found that noone described how to flash in bootmode.

Any way, thanks.

wacki_dani
2nd November, 2013, 06:52 AM
Thanks i have the same problem,, ill try what u described,hopee is going to work

SERBAN 70
30th November, 2014, 11:22 PM
REMOVE THE EASIER AND PROGRAMMER И НЕ НАДО ЕБ....СЯ

colouny
22nd December, 2014, 10:48 PM
Just how the world turn around all the things...

I have got in to the same problem once again, i was even forgotten that i have wrote this manual... God how glad that google exists, and i have wrote his manual over a year a go!

It just saved me some time.

Merry Christmas every one!!!

SERBAN 70
22nd December, 2014, 11:12 PM
Merry Christmas every one!!!:)

monya22222
4th June, 2016, 01:50 PM
Hi! Very usefull! Thank you!

Locke68
11th February, 2017, 05:44 PM
Just how the world turn around all the things...

I have got in to the same problem once again, i was even forgotten that i have wrote this manual... God how glad that google exists, and i have wrote his manual over a year a go!

It just saved me some time.

Merry Christmas every one!!!

I had the same problem. I was so dumb to flash a file with wrong checksum. I used a clone of Gletto 2. I was ot able to reflash the original file to the ecu via obd. I tried to flash the file in boot mode, but Galetto seemes to have no matching driver for 29F400BT, only for BB chips. Anyway, i tried many times with all available drivers, without success. No your manual is my last chance to fix the ecu by myself. But i cant get MPPS v.12, only v.16. I hope this device will do the job too.
:torn:
It did!! I was not able to checksum my tuning file but it worked to flash back the original one. The car is running again!

OoZz
31st October, 2019, 11:55 AM
Hi guys.

Sorry for digging an old thread, but I am encountering some issues with an EDC15P ECU.

Tried flashing my friend's car via OBD last night with MPPS V16, a VW Passat 1.9TDI AVF. Everything went smooth up to 97% when the car although showed 12.6V battery, shut down completely. Checked the battery after this issue, it had a short in it.
Removed the ECU to recover in boot mode, managed to do so and flashed the original file succesfully to 100%.
My issue is that when I try to ID the ECU in normal mode, says "ECU not found". Tried reflashing many times in slow, normal or fast speed but no luck.
When I id the ECU in boot mode it says Micro C167 ID=C5, Eprom ID = 00010223.

I have tried a different 29F400 chip from a spare ecu I had around, exactly same story as with the original. Resoldered the original chip back in.

I don't have a 29f400 chip programmer around or near unfortunately.

Any thoughts?
Your help is much appreciated

JoeBB
31st October, 2019, 12:48 PM
Does ecu receive 12v from car harness?

OoZz
31st October, 2019, 01:49 PM
It does. I cannot id the ECU neither on bench or on the car.
Managed to get another ECU.
If I copy the 24C04 from original ECU and re-write it over the new ECU chip, will this be enough to keep the immo happy?

Thanks!

OoZz
31st October, 2019, 08:59 PM
Worked a treat just cloning the ecu as I have asked above.

xIC3x
13th August, 2023, 11:11 AM
Thanks hopefully this will save me