PDA

View Full Version : Will any 2.5 harddrive work with a solo2, are any better forr the job?

boyofford
21st March, 2013, 07:07 PM
Will any 2.5 harddrive work with a solo2, are any better forr the job?
Should have my new shiny solo 2 next week, so just thought about hard drive, got old one in a old laptop I think,.

reaper101
2nd April, 2013, 04:17 PM
i use a 2.5" hard drive 320 gb external with mine also i use the usb to power it never had any problems but some people say use one with external power

lincsat
3rd April, 2013, 01:22 PM
Usually the lower powered 5400RPM or "Green" are better. It does need to be SATA for internal. Don't forget that it needs configuring, it's more than just a physical installation.

andy211081
3rd April, 2013, 04:47 PM
I have tried quite a few and all worked without issues Samsung, WD, seagate and toshiba all 1tb ones all bought for about ?50. Just make sure you initialise in the box via settings.

If you get stuck post on here

boyofford
7th April, 2013, 01:28 PM
I've recorded couple of things to USB and decided 1tb is a must. A hd film almost filled a 8gb USB stick!
Ordered a Samsung HN-M101MBB 1TB 5400rpm SATA 2.5 inch Internal Hard Drive of amazon, its pretty slim so should allow for good a circulation.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

RuberDuck
7th April, 2013, 02:05 PM
any should work once setup although i did have issues with the first one i tried ( taken out of my TM 2T - cant remember the brand ) but basically when i plugged in the drive the receiver would not power on, the fan would not kick in and the VFD would not even light up. only the power button lit up. The same HDD works flawlessly in every other receiver i have tried it in ( Duo, Duo LE, Uno, Ultimo, TM 2T, TM Twin ) but really did not like the Solo2.

So I swapped it out for the one in my Uno that one worked fine in the Solo2.

boyofford
7th April, 2013, 02:40 PM
any should work once setup although i did have issues with the first one i tried ( taken out of my TM 2T - cant remember the brand ) but basically when i plugged in the drive the receiver would not power on, the fan would not kick in and the VFD would not even light up. only the power button lit up. The same HDD works flawlessly in every other receiver i have tried it in ( Duo, Duo LE, Uno, Ultimo, TM 2T, TM Twin ) but really did not like the Solo2.

So I swapped it out for the one in my Uno that one worked fine in the Solo2.

Fingers crossed don't have that problem!

kevstar81
7th April, 2013, 02:43 PM
Are teh SSD any good to put in the boxes?
Im using a vu duo

lincsat
7th April, 2013, 04:16 PM
The SSD work OK but be aware if using the SSD for things like EPG and swapfile that there will be a lot of Read/Write cycles to the SSD

boyofford
8th April, 2013, 01:32 AM
Are teh SSD any good to put in the boxes?
Im using a vu duo

One hd film almost filled a 8gb USB stick, and large SSD hard drives are expensive.
From what I understand the hard drive only spins up when recording, time shifting and viewing so you won't be saving that much power unless you do these all the time. Suppose might save a clone boxes power supply perhaps?

boyofford
8th April, 2013, 01:37 AM
Read somewhere that epg loads into ram on start anyhow, but swap may be a problem, better to put swap on a USB, they are cheap. Also picons should go on USB if using convential drive at least so drive doesn't power up to read when changing channels.

digicon
8th April, 2013, 02:17 AM
EPG does load into ram if you have it setup as reload on boot so the only times it will access your H/D or USB stick is on a reboot or when you download again, As stated it loads and stays in Ram while the box is on and being watched